Headfirst Performance
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m 58s
Overall Rank = 2/135
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/19
Pre-race routine:

Got the troops up at 5 am, fed them, and herded everyone to the car. We got to the race site at 7 am. I needed to check in yet, and I had just put a new tube in my disc (flatted Saturday on a test ride) which I needed to test, so this was cutting it tight.

Food was chocolate, lots of tea, pecans.
Event warmup:

Adrenaline rush trying to get transition setup before the race started. Good thing (at least in this sense) that I didn't have to put a wetsuit on.
Swim
  • 27m 55s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

No wetsuits allowed. Bummer. According to others, course was 3+ minutes long. They estimated the course at ~1900y. Arms were very tired by the end. No luck in finding feet to draft.

Came out of the water 5 minutes down on the two leaders, one of whom is a pro out of the Louisville area. So I was told anyway.
What would you do differently?:

Expected a wetsuit swim based on previous experience with this RD, so did a lot of pulling leading up to this. Mistake. Also need longer sets in the pool to work on endurance.
Transition 1
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

Fastest T1 was 31 sec. I was one of the faster. Pretty good considering I don't do the flying mount thing.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 42s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 23.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Didn't feel great but was 2nd OA split, which surprised me. I caught the (eventual) winner on the bike. I also made up some ground on the pro that was in the race. They'd both put 5 minutes into me on the swim.

No crash or flat, so have to classify this as a good ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

Fastest T2 was 22 secs, so I didn't lose too much here.
Run
  • 39m 1s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out of T2 with the (eventual) winner and ~2 minutes down on the leader. Unfortunately, I couldn't hang with the winner on the first hill and it became clear he was going to outrun me unless he blew up, which he didn't. He outsplit me on the run by just over a minute and beat me OA by 1:15. My days of outrunning the field are long gone.

After the bluff, I switched my focus to catching the leader. Pretty sure I was closing fast enough to catch him, but he had to quit around mile 3.5 due to heat/dehydration. That put me in no-man's land - a runner in front I couldn't catch and nobody within 2 minutes behind me. So I kept things under control and cruised in.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Run was a sufferfest and I suffered reasonably well.
Post race
Warm down:

Jump in the lake - felt NICE! They had grilled burgers/chicken/hot dogs after the race, yum. Hung out with the family in the shade eating and watching others finish, then went back to the hotel to pack up and drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lost FIVE minutes to the top two in the swim in an OLY.

Event comments:

Fun, hot, hilly race. Each time I do a tri now I feel fortunate to be healthy enough to participate. Hope to be able to keep at it for a long time to come.

And I def prefer these small local races to the larger ones. The competition isn't there, but the lower swim and bike traffic makes the race itself much more enjoyable. There are also more familiar faces to talk with before and after the event.

Last updated: 2010-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:55 | 1640 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 20/135
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Course was closer to 1900y.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:43
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:04:42 | 24.85 miles | 23.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/19
Overall: 2/135
Wind:
Course: Very hilly course with two long, no-momentum climbs. One of the climbs was right out of transition and another long granny gear climb at tailwater, which was a long technical descent with a turn around at the bottom and a climb back up. Lots of rough road sections.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:39:01 | 06.21 miles | 06m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/19
Overall: 3/135
Course: Hilly and HOT. We had about 100y of flat ground out of T2 before climbing the bluff. Not a nice way to start the run!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes