Waunakee, Wisconsin
United States
Endurance House
Total Time = 2h 36m 30s
Overall Rank = 83/304
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/31
Pre-race routine:

As always, up early - 4:20 AM - got to the venue by 5:00 AM. Had me some M&M pancakes, cup of coffee and some H2O. Went to visit a friend named John and the first 2 I opened had crap on the seat. Now come on, you didn't notice you did that?
Event warmup:

Not a thing, talked with some donkeys and donkettes. I really did not want to enter this water before I had to. Proceeded to the start line just in time to get my cap and googles on before my wave went off.
Swim
  • 30m 16s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was pretty disgusting. The water was pea green and full of "seaweed". I know it is not the sea but there was still seaweed. I had so much of this stuff on my face that I had to stop numerous times to pick it off. I actually carried some of it the entire race and Terri was picking it out of my whiskers at the finish line.

The run from the lake to T1 is long, but I was fortunate to be chasing a carrot out of the water (dar89) and proceeded to give him a big slap on his wetsuited arse as I passed him.
What would you do differently?:

I haven't swam much this year but it really doesnt' show too much. I felt really good and got in a good rythym. Although I was 1 minute slower than last year I wouldn't change much from what I did.
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

This tranistion is long as it covers one entire parking lot in the park. Due to a snafu with my registration they had to add me to the Olympic at the last minute and thus did not have a rack for me. As Rham Emanual says "never let a good crisis go to waste", so I picked the far end of transition and established my transition spot right next to the exit. This meant I could run thru transition in barefeet and not in bike shoes - SCORE.

I had to dodge a few relay people but no big deal.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 39s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.24 mile/hr
Comments:

So I leave transition in my small chain ring and my chain starts jumping all over the cassette like a mexican jumping bean. WTF. I haven't changed anything since my last ride and everything worked great at Lake Mills last week - so I had no idea what this was about. Having done this course twice before I did know that there are enough hills that the SCR might come in useful. Alas it was not to be. So I made an executive decision to take it "easy" on the way out and hammer what I could on the way back. About 8 miles into the ride the roads got pretty wet so I took it very easy on the turns and the nice wicked downhill at the half way point. I must be getting old and not wanting to play daredevil. Was 3:30 slower than last year.

Not much. I have not tackled my training this year like I should. So with my caution and lack of bike training this was actually OK.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

This was just OK. Figuring it took me only 13 seconds longer in T1 and that included getting out of my wetsuit, I have no idea what I was doing here.

Pick it up slow poke.
Run
  • 49m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I actually wore my Garmin for this race for the run. I used it last week as well and it seems to help me keep my pace and plan an attack on when to pick it up. This course was alot more "enjoyable" today compared to last year. Thank the good lord above for overcast skies.

Train some more. But considering the difficulty of this course I completed my main goal - to average under 8:00 minute miles!
Post race
Warm down:

Sit around and have a beer .. yes just one beer because they ran out.

I then proceeded to check my times and got my printout...hey I finished 4th in my AG. Being the masochist that I am, I must go check the overall scores to see by how much I missed 3rd place.....6.9 seconds.....ya got to be kiddin me......I couldn't have found 6.9 seconds somewhere? This just proved to me that every little thing counts - another lesson learned today. (I really wanted a trophy.....they were giving out nice glass beer mugs). I guess this is God's way of saying I giveth and I taketh away....as I beat someone at Lake Mills last week by 9 seconds for first place in Clydes.

It was great to see everyone. A big shout out to Terri, Tammi, Tracy, Greg, Don, Suzy, Dave x2, John and anyone else I might have missed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really enjoy this race. It is tough and the conditions are always hot and humid, but I like the challenge. However, I think I will skip this next year.

My overall approach this year has been lack-z-daisy-gull. My plan for next year is to do both IMWI and IMAZ and I know that will involve a significant commitment. (doesn't help my new job is keeping me hooping as well).

It is interesting to see that I can still throw down some good times on limited training....I must have either a good base or been severly slacking in earlier races.

Last updated: 2010-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:16 | 1640 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/304
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:37
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:39 | 24.85 miles | 20.24 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:49:20 | 06.21 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-15 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Capitol View Triathlon

2010-06-15 7:30 PM
in reply to: #2924073

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
Subject: RE: Capitol View Triathlon
Nice job out there!! Nice hanging with you and Terri!!
2010-06-15 7:46 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Nice Race....and nice AG placing.  Good to see ya!
2010-06-15 8:14 PM

Veteran
Your race wasn't half bad either... and that 6.9 seconds would be God informing you to practice your transitions Wink (as does everyone else)
2010-06-16 6:56 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great race report and even better job!  That run course was tough, but I agree you could have found 7 seconds   Here's to next year!
2010-06-16 5:15 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
Nice race Clint... getting teenied like that for a trophy certainly stings..  but you got to be happy with throwing down a solid race there nonetheless...

2010-06-17 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
did ben just call you teeny?  great job out there.....you are a rockstar!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capitol View Triathlon Rss Feed