General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hello to my fellow Athenas! I'm new here... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-15 9:30 PM

Subject: Hello to my fellow Athenas! I'm new here...
Hi! I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I am a complete tri newbie, and at a size 22, well - obviously this is my board! LOL 

I've always been a swimmer and after having my last baby (I have two kids) I decided it was time to get back into shape. I was swimming a .5 mile 5-6 days a week when one of the swimmers at the gym said I should try a triathlon. I laughed in her face, but she convinced me I could do it!

So I jumped in with two feet but now I am sort of freaking out. I bought the "slow fat triathlete" book and it is definitely helping, but I am really looking for some support from people who are also not at their ideal weight.

Can I do this? I have 12 weeks until my triathlon. I start the couch to 5k this week. I finally have a bike and will start training on that as well this week or next. I am terrified of both falling flat on my face on the bike, and also of hurting a knee or ankle running at this weight.

Also I feel sort of stupid because I have no knowledge of all the gear I need or if I can just go simple the first time around. Will I look dumb if I don't have all the right stuff? I figure I have 12 weeks to figure out what to wear, right? I don't have to have the right stuff for training?

Gah, so much to think about! My goal is simply to finish, hopefully not last.

2010-06-15 10:02 PM
in reply to: #2924290

User image

New user
Alpharetta
Subject: RE: Hello to my fellow Athenas! I'm new here...
No one will think you're dumb. Triathletes are some of the most supportive and friendly people you will meet.

Keep it simple. Get your gear ahead of time and use it training. There is a lot of merit to clothes you can wear in all three legs. Getting changed in transition is harder than it would seem; you'll be wet, tired and cramped for space. There is a "no new gear on race day" mantra that lots of people follow.

Have fun. Relax. Have fun. You'll do fine.
2010-06-15 10:12 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Welcome!

Don't worry about having the "right gear or clothes". You see people using all kinds of bikes and clothing at triathlons, so for your 1st tri you will be fine with just the basics. Likewise, you see all kinds of people doing triathlons (young, old, thin, heavy, etc) which is encouraging.

I wore bike shorts and sports bra for the swim under a wetsuit I rented. For the bike and run, I just put on a t-shirt over the sports bra.

I also did the couch to 5K program and really liked it. In Nov, I could not run for more than 2 mins without wanting to stop. Now I am able to do a 5k without a walking break, which is huge for me.

I also gained a lot of weight during my pregnancies and was also a size 22 at my heaviest. I'm all too familiar with the struggle to lose weight. I took off a lot of weight after my 2nd child was born, but then became pregnant with my 3rd and gained some back. I'm currently in the process of trying to re-lose some weigh and finally get to goal.

Here are some before & after pics of myself that I posted on another thread
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=210528&start=141

Scroll down to the middle of the page.

My only tri goals for myself this year is to finish the sprints I have signed up for, train consistantly, and have fun. I'm not concerned with gear or being fast. I figure that will come with time and experience.

Good luck with everything and have fun!

Edited by jpbis26 2010-06-15 10:18 PM
2010-06-16 8:01 AM

User image

Athenawesome in Toledo
I just wanted to say hi!  I'm a newbie too, I just signed up for my first triathlon.  I did the C25k last year and ran my first 5k.  I still don't like running, but I love swimming and biking.  I'm not very fast yet, I am just looking to complete, not compete yet. 
I was 325lbs and a size 26 at my heaviest.  I'm a size 16 now and have 40 more pounds I'd like to lose.  I was also pretty nervous about gear and stuff like that, but the ladies here have been super helpful!!
2010-06-16 8:28 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Bragg, NC
I really think looking at all the triathlon gear you are supposed to need is like all of the baby gear they try to sell you at Babies R Us. How much of it is totally necessary? Like, less than half of it. Don't worry about the stuff everybody else has, just think about what you like to have when you're swimming, biking, and running, and try to predict things that are going to bother you. I didn't bring sunglasses to my first race, and it sounds like such a small thing, but trust me...an hour into your race, the smallest, stupidest things are making you feel like crap. If you usually swim in a regular swimsuit, do that. If you think you're going to want bike shorts for the bike race, just throw them on over your swim suit. I can't run without a bra (like most Athenas), so I just put a sports bra underneath my swim suit and it looked ridiculous. Who cares?

Also, my experience for all it's worth has been this...the spectators cheer the loudest for the people who cross the finish line last. That 160 pound jacked guy with veins sticking out everywhere who runs 5 minute miles? Of course he won the race. But that girl (me) who weighs 30 pounds more than any other girl competing today, is riding a borrowed bike, has no idea what's going on in transition, and is sprinting to the finish line for second to last place? I get all the cheers. If you're a size 22, you're putting dozens of people who are a lot smaller and more fit but too scared to do this to shame. Many of those people will be at the race as spectators going, "Holy crap, that girl has chutzpah." It's actually a fantastic feeling, and I kind of think that when you're big, you get respect from other competitors that you might not have gotten otherwise. I am always high-fiving and shaking peoples' hands when they're bigger than I am because I know how hard it just was for me to finish, and I know it was probably one of their first races.
2010-06-16 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
Welcome to BT and your new addiction - Triathlons are a lot of fun and the group here is very supportive of newbies and their questions.  Don't be affraid to ask anything (do try a search first, but the search function is a little confusing at first)  Even though the site is called 'Beginner Triathlete' there are some great athletes here to help you so dont think you're in the wrong place.  You'll will be surprised and impressed w/ the civility and support here.

Just a suggestion, If you have a chance, find a triathlon near you that you can either watch, or even better volunteer.  You'll get to see how people prepare, set up, wear etc... That's how I got into triathlons, I was a volunteer at a race and said "I can and want to do this".  Seeing the event live - and better if you're a part of it, will be one of the best things you can do to get yourself ready for your race.  For a lot of people, their first race is the first time they've even been to a triathlon.

And dont worry about coming in last - you will have finished, which is better than not finishing or not even racing.  You've already done more than all the people watching or sitting at home.  Do you know what the call the person who comes in last?  A triathlete.  Just have fun on your journey and you'll realize you're only racing against yourself and placement doesnt matter.

Good luck

2010-06-16 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
Also, there are a lot of post about gear.  But all you need is:

Swimsuit (Trisuit (1 piece or two piece) that you can wear for all 3 events)
Bike
Helmet
running Shoes

Thats it.

Swim goggles, Wetsuit, clipless pedals & bike shoes, Sunglasses, Visor/hat, Towel Etc..  just make your race more comfortable.  Try to keep your transition clean and dont take up too much space.  The biggest mistake most first timers do is bring too much.  Here's a good video that IMO goes over the transition area really well.  Just ignore the rubberband part w/ your bike shoes.  That is more of an advanced technique. 

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2010-06-16 8:53 AM
2010-06-17 7:01 AM

I am a newbie also.  My race is in 5 weeks and I am not sure I will be ready or not, but I am working hard to be able to compete.  I am also scared of my bike; more of riding on the open roads.

The only peice of clothing I made an investment in is a pair of tri-shorts.  They were about $66.  I plan on wearing this with a one peice tight water resistant tank (bought at Target for $10).  I tried running in the outfit yesterday and am okay with not wearing an additional sports bra with it.

Best of luck to you!
2010-06-17 7:16 AM

User image

Delaware, OH
Welcome to the club!  I also did C25K and BT's Couch to Sprint training plan.  Don't worry about looking silly- your not going to be in transition long enough for anyone to notice what you are (or aren't!) wearing!  I would say that tri shorts and a sports bra are the only needed items of clothing.  Unless you have a tush of steel and are just going to wear running shorts for the bike! Yell 

Good luck and welcome again to BT!
2010-06-17 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

Go very slow at the start of your training.  If you can swim already you have passed the test that scared the crap out most of us when we started.

If you have questions just stop and ask.

Kevin
2010-06-17 11:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Bessemer, AL
Welcome to tri keurigirl!  A little advice: since you seem to have the swim part down, aka you will be able to finish the swim no problem, I would highly recommend that you only swim twice a week and use the rest of your time to run and bike.  Train to your weakness as they say.  Smile

2010-06-18 5:15 AM

Katy
Welcome to the tri world!  I'm 6' and 215lbs, so I will always be an Athena!!  I've got one piece of advice ... make sure your bike or tri shorts don't have seams in bad places, if you catch my drift.  Having blisters that rub raw on the run is the worst!!  I learned this the hard way.  And those booboos take a long time to heal since you can't just let then air out and dry up!
Other than that, HAVE FUN!!  The since of accomplishment when you finish is something you will never forget!
2011-03-01 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2924744

New user

nor cal
Hi I am new as well and struggling to find women's gear that fits- i am a nursing mom (DD) and a size 16 any recommendations on what gear brands- and better yet where to find them?
thanks

2011-03-01 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3377391

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
http://www.titlenine.comfor sports bras - they've got you covered in every support level.

Also,
I'm a size 16, DD too, I have had good luck with Champion bras from Target... cheap, hold just fine (i'm not into super heavy duty support), and readily and easily available. I like their regular work out clothes too - xl women sizes fits me just fine.

REI size 16 is pretty true to size for most of their athletic clothing, though I'm tall too and find their clothes to be a bit short. I also really like North Face Flight Series clothing.

As far as tri gear goes I usually have to wear mens L or XL depending on the brand - mostly cause the womens stuff is too short in the torso and rides up during racing (bad!). Craft, Pearl Izumi, Desoto tops, Performance Bikes brand gear all works well. Mostly you have to try stuff on, and see what fits, and don't be scared to slip into mens gear if you're not finding what you need. Websites to search: Trisports, PerformanceBikes, REI...

Tri-mama1031 - 2011-03-01 9:08 AM Hi I am new as well and struggling to find women's gear that fits- i am a nursing mom (DD) and a size 16 any recommendations on what gear brands- and better yet where to find them?
thanks

2011-03-03 12:03 PM

User image

Regular
Maryland
Hi there, I'm new to tri's too.  So glad I stumbled across this thread.  I've been looking for a support group to give me the confidence to go for this.

Had ACL surgery in December, so am starting training now little by little.  I'm signed up for a sprint tri in August, the Iron Girl. 

I'll be lurking and posting for inspiration,
2011-03-15 10:20 AM

User image

Regular

keurigirl - 2010-06-15 9:30 PM Hi! I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I am a complete tri newbie, and at a size 22, well - obviously this is my board! LOL 

I've always been a swimmer and after having my last baby (I have two kids) I decided it was time to get back into shape. I was swimming a .5 mile 5-6 days a week when one of the swimmers at the gym said I should try a triathlon. I laughed in her face, but she convinced me I could do it!

So I jumped in with two feet but now I am sort of freaking out. I bought the "slow fat triathlete" book and it is definitely helping, but I am really looking for some support from people who are also not at their ideal weight.

Can I do this? I have 12 weeks until my triathlon. I start the couch to 5k this week. I finally have a bike and will start training on that as well this week or next. I am terrified of both falling flat on my face on the bike, and also of hurting a knee or ankle running at this weight.

Also I feel sort of stupid because I have no knowledge of all the gear I need or if I can just go simple the first time around. Will I look dumb if I don't have all the right stuff? I figure I have 12 weeks to figure out what to wear, right? I don't have to have the right stuff for training?

Gah, so much to think about! My goal is simply to finish, hopefully not last.

You've done the hardest part already --jumping in.  Slow, Fat, Triathlete was a great book and I followed her advice and completed my first tri last summer.  My first was a super sprint which is shorter and that was a great starting point.  I also read Triathlets for Dummies.  I wore a very supportive sports bra, tri shorts (less padding so it doesn't feel like you're carrying a diaper during the run), and a rash guard for a top.  I changed out of the rash guard top and put on a performance tshirt for the rest.  I didn't want to worry about chafing from my swimsuit.  The rash guard worked out well for me because I was covered and it allowed full shoulder motion.  You definitely can do it!!!  I'm a bargain shopper and I found my tri-shorts online --I got the 8" long ones which cover most of the thigh.  Try and relax on your bike cuz you waste a lot of energy gripping tightly to the handlebars   You can do it and you will do it!!! Have fun.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hello to my fellow Athenas! I'm new here... Rss Feed