General Discussion Race Reports! » L.A. Triathlon Series, Event #3 (Express) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

L.A. Triathlon Series, Event #3 (Express) - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Dimas, California
United States
Tri Events, Inc.
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 27/221
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/16
Pre-race routine:

I had a bagel with peanut butter and a lot of water. No pre race nervous poo had me a little concerned
Event warmup:

Tested the water temp and swam out a few yards. There it was, the end of my OWS experience!
Swim
  • 06m 50s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Seeing as I was the king of the YMCA pool in my training up to this race, I had no idea what I was doing. That was evidenced by my treading into the middle of the start. I don't know what I was thinking. I started to get tired, and overheated, had to back stroke for a bit. Longest 6:50 of my life!
What would you do differently?:

Swim somewhere other than a pool, with my wetsuit, prior to the next race. I also would not jump into the middle of the pack, but stay on the outside. I was really unrealistic on what outcomes I expected
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

I realized as I was waiting for the swim to start that I had forgotten to put body glide on my ankles. I dont know if that would have mattered, but I did have a hard time getting my wetsuit off. It could have helped with body glide, or the fact that it got stuck on my timing chip.

Body Glide
Bike
  • 26m 31s
  • 8.39 miles
  • 18.98 mile/hr
Comments:

OK, so the swim kind of screwed me up, I am glad I didnt have a HR monitor on, I probably would have slowed down. I was huffing and puffing and couldn't get into a rhythm. I didn't think the course was too bad, coming out of transition, the hill was mild, followed by a pretty big downhill. The second hill was the more menacing and longer! I don't remember exactly where, but the road was pretty rough for a stretch of it too. The big downhill coming back to T2 was nice

I would be a bit more relaxed coming out of the swim, and would probably hit the hills a little harder on the way up. I passed most of the people on the climbs.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Almost did a digger getting off the bike and then had to jump to the side to get on the timing mat. Other than that, it was good, shoes off and on pretty quick
Run
  • 22m 22s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Not bad, passed by 2 people on the run, and caught one of them on the way back. I was reeling one guy in, but ended about 10 seconds behind him. I liked my pace, but I think I could have turned it up a little more at the end. I didnt study the run course as much as the bike, so I wasnt sure how far I had left.
Post race
Warm down:

Moved off to the side and the family brought me water!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Open water swimming.

Event comments:

My first race in over 20 years, it wasnt bad. I will practice some OWS and pick up my pace a bit more, next time a 20+ mph bike and sub 7 min 5k and that along with a better swim puts me definitely in the top 20.

Last updated: 2010-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:50 | 328 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 86/221
Performance: Bad
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Seemed short until they moved the 2nd buoy out about 50 yards!
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:26:31 | 08.39 miles | 18.98 mile/hr
Overall: 19/221
Performance: Average
My Garmin had me at 19.8
Wind: None
Course: Hilly course
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:22 | 03.11 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Overall: 26/221
Performance: Good
Course: Along the lake
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-15 10:45 PM

New user

Subject: L.A. Triathlon Series, Event #3 (Express)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » L.A. Triathlon Series, Event #3 (Express) Rss Feed