General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddle recommendations for athenas? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-16 5:51 AM

New user
Adelaide
Subject: Saddle recommendations for athenas?
So ive got a new bike - a Felt S22 and im not happy with the seat it came with i can only ride it for about half an hour before my butt gets too sore its pretty damn hard.

What kind of saddle can i get to make it a little easier to stay on the bike longer? I realise the sore butt thing i will have to get used to but i figured i could get a different saddle to fit my measurements a little more. im currently about 190lb

2010-06-16 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2924541

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Saddle recommendations for athenas?
Everyone's tush is different, but changed to the Cobb Cycling V-Flow Max in April, at the reccomendation of some fellow athletes to train for long distance triathlon, and I haven't regretted one penny of what I spent on it!

http://www.cobbcycling.com/cart/V-Flow_Max_C1P4.cfm
2010-06-16 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2924541

User image

Master
PNW
Subject: RE: Saddle recommendations for athenas?
Your weight actually has nothing to do with your saddle choice.  The best saddle for you would be the one with the right shape and padding for your particular anatomy and really, no two women are alike.  Bike position/geometry can also affect this too.

When I first started cycling, I figured I'd need a wide saddle because I'm a pear shaped girl with a big ole butt.  Boy, was I wrong! After the first few very, very painful saddle choices, I actually tried measuring my sit bones.  Turns out, I have very narrow sit bones and narrow hips.  I never knew!!

Now I usually opt for men's saddles because they tend to be narrower and less padded (though there are some other options out there too).  This also affects my choice of bike shorts (tri shorts are more forgiving) because you need your shorts to fit your 'nether regions' more  than you need them to fit your waist or legs.  For some women, these dimensions all are 'average' and somewhat related, for others, not so much.

There are some GREAT saddle threads on the forums at teamestrogen.com where you can read about years of research/trial and error and ways to measure...you might start there...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddle recommendations for athenas? Rss Feed