United States
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 37s
Overall Rank = 17/154
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 4:30, drank a fruit smoothy, this worked out perfectly due to the race starting at 7:30. 3 hours before the race so I will be not hungry, and not full, just right. Packed up my stuff and headed out.
Event warmup:

I have never been one for warm ups, ever. Never did them in all the years of swimming I did. So I ran up a hill a few times to get my heart rate going, then stretched for a while. Then walked around. About 15-20 minutes prior to the swim start I ate a hammer gel.
Swim
  • 08m 29s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

Very happy with the swim. For some wierd reason, my entire age group started way over to the right. I lined myself up with the buoys and kept looking over at them like, hmmmm, wonder what they know that I dont??? So the swim starts. We were the 2nd wave, the first wave was 3 minutes ahead. The guy yells "go!" and we all run in. I was completely by myself and lined up perfectly with the buoys. I just cruised it, and in no time was passing the back guys from the first wave. Love this swim. Felt good, came out pretty far ahead of everyone, so now the plan was to get on the bike as fast as possible. Because I knew they would be coming.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, perfect swim in my opinion
Transition 1
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Pretty good T1. I was 8th overall, so it was a good transition.
Bike
  • 33m 42s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, I have worked on my biking over the winter. Not as much as I would have liked, but definitely an improvement. I kept looking back and was thinking "where are they?" Last year I got passed so much on the bike that it almost got stupid. I really hated it. Always won the swim, then got passed by 20 plus people on the bike. So today, I got passed twice. Once by the overall winner, who was a freak in the 40-45 age group. Once by the guy who won my age group. So needless to say I was very happy about the bike. I passed some people on the uphills, I train on hills, so I love them. Hit a top speed of 45.8 on the course. Very happy.

I just need to keep biking. I have recently run into a very avid cyclist that lives near me and we are going to start riding together. This should really help me. This was definite motivation, only being passed twice really gave me a boost.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Eh, kind of slow, I really like my transitions to be under a minute. I was a little crowded at my rack, but still should have been faster.

Just be faster.
Run
  • 25m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, the first mile of the run my calves were kind of talking to me. I had to slow just a bit to get loosened up, then was ok. The hills in the woods were pretty killer. Fun course though. Nice to mix it up like that. The last 2 miles were out of the woods and on the road.

Just run more. I have been fighting a foot injury due to a huge dog running out to me back in early May on a training run. I really screwed up my foot twisting around to meet the dog so he would not bite me. Its finally better, but all through may I really did no running. So I simply need to start my running up again.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate cookies. That's pretty much it. I ate cookies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run training.

Event comments:

Like I said, I love this race. It is my favorite race so far. The course is great. I just really like the whole deal.

Last updated: 2010-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:29 | 500 meters | 01m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 5/154
Performance: Good
Suit: tri suit.
Course: Triangular course, out to the big yellow buoy, then around and back to the beach. This is just by far my favorite swim course. It always is awesome. No current, and for some reason, I never have to fight with anyone swimming, it's just easy cruising.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:53
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:42 | 10 miles | 17.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 37/154
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Can you say hills? Awesome hills. Then, after a short time, more hills. But it was great. Freshly paved road, just perfect.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:26 | 03.1 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 40/154
Performance: Average
Course: First mile was through a wooded trail run, with bridges, and hills, and creeks to jump over, really cool. I liked it. Different than just a normal flat run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes