Columbia Triathlon Association
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 14m 55s
Overall Rank = 263/1560
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 34/139
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4. Staying in Cambridge was nice and never felt rushed. Showered, ate some breakfast, packed up the bags and headed to transition. Usually we are one of the first to arrive, but this morning everyone and their brother was there. Very crowded! But love the environment!
Event warmup:

Watched the pros start and finish. Then headed over to the swim start, did some stretching, pushups, and then ate a gel 15 minutes prior to my swim wave and washed it down with water.
Swim
  • 37m 31s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am with the majority on this one. Something was up with the distance of the buoys. This swim felt long, and I felt decent in the water. Never felt like I was struggling or working too hard. I felt fast but unfortunately the current or the distance worked against everyone today. I was 28 minutes last year with a wetsuit, and without a wetsuit I would have expected to be in the low 30 minute range.
What would you do differently?:

I'm happy with my swim training throughout the years, so I will conitnue to make improvements. I wouldn't do anything differently today.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Putting on the Garmin strap takes a few extra seconds each time in transition, but other than that it went smoothly.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 33m 24s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.90 mile/hr
Comments:

This was definitely one of my better bike rides. I felt great throughout. Kept it always above 20mph, even in the windier parts of the course. My lower back did cause me a few issues, and looking back I was up out of the saddle stretching it out about every 15 minutes. Maybe it was how I slept because I have never felt that much constant pain in that spot. Nothing unbearable but more so just a nuisance.

Maintain my lower back strength throughout training with some weights and stretching.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Nothing jumps out.

Get this time to under 2:00.
Run
  • 2h 00m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Not sure what my ranks are yet because the results don't show it. But this run was BRUTAL! Lack of some long brick workouts really is the main factor as to why I struggled. Yes it was hotter than hell, and yes that does play a major role in performance, but it was lack of longer bricks and getting the body used to feeling the 13.1 coming off the bike. If I ever want to improve and move up in the ranks, I've got to become a better runner off the bike at longer distances.

Going out I felt great and my first 6.5 miles were in 54:00 at a pace of 8:18. Then everything went wrong. I didn't have any push left. I was jogging to every aid station and taking about a minute per station getting in as much as I could. Sometimes it felt like too much. It was survival mode to the finish. Then it was 1hr 06m and a pace of 10:03 for the last 6.5 miles that got me home.

Longer bricks!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a ton of water, cleaned off a bit in the Choptank, and then went back to transition and chilled for a few minutes before I got the energy to walk around and meet up with everyone else.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run training, specifically off the bike. And need to incorporate some hotter training sessions.

Event comments:

Volunteers were awesome and hats off to them for sticking it out in the heat! Also, the locals were great spraying their hoses on us and making us always feel welcome there. Great community!

Last updated: 2009-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:31 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/139
Overall: 244/1560
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Rectangular 1.2 mile course.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:33:24 | 56 miles | 21.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 34/139
Overall: 286/1560
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Flat, windy, hot.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:00:23 | 13.1 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/139
Overall: 0/1560
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat, HOT, Flat, HOT, Flat, and some more HOT!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-16 8:07 AM

Regular
Maryland
Subject: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

2010-06-16 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2924760

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon
Very good time!  I wouldn't worry too much about the run - everyone was dying. 
2010-06-16 8:38 AM

User image

Subject: Swiim at EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon
Add another voice to the chorus of athletes who think the swim was long. My best is 30:26 and I typically swim around 1:30-1:40 pace for 100 meters in open water swims. I was hoping to break 30 based on recent workouts and swam 43. And it wasn't like I didn't feel good or swam badly.

It looks like the time differentials between last year and this increased wave by wave so I think the buoys were drifting. This happened at Kinetic Half but they drifted in the other direction (short) so I swam 27.

So, annoyingly, two 1/2 IMs this year and not one accurate swim.
2010-06-16 3:11 PM

Pro
yep,
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon
nice job.  Agree with Josh.  Don't worry about the run.  It was wayyyy hot out there.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed