General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Official first HIM nerves thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-16 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelmsford, MA
Subject: Official first HIM nerves thread
My first HIM is Saturday. I'm looking at my logs, reading threads, thinking about gear, checking weather reports, and generally being alternatively calm and nervous.

Training since Feb. 1. Swim: 36.8 mi. Bike: 715mi. Run: 255mi. Mountain run: 16 mi. 126 hours of training was about 85% of what I planned. Most of the skipped work came within the past month neglecting my long bike rides. On a positive note my running shape is better than expected. Weather calls for 85 and sunny so hydration and overheating will be a concern.

I wish I had hit my long rides. On the other hand my bike power, run speed, and swim speed still improved significantly over the course of the past 4 months. I'm more nervous than before my first Oly because I had done 30 miles rides followed by 10k runs in training. I knew my body would do the work. I'm not sure how my legs will respond after biking 56 miles.

At this point I am trusting my calculated power limits for my bike (aim for 204W not to exceed 240W for any lengthy period) will keep the legs from burning out so my run strength can take over. I still have no clue how I'm going to stay hydrated enough without bloating for the run. I'm a larger athlete (6 foot, 200#) and a heavy sweater and would much rather it be 60 and overcast.

Mostly typing here so I don't drive my non-tri friends nuts. Can it be Saturday 7:30am soon, please?

2010-06-16 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2925839

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: Official first HIM nerves thread
I feel the same way! In fact, my first HIM isn't for another 4.5 weeks and I've been feeling this way for the last month probably. Soooo much anticipation! I think I've read every single RR out there on my HIM. Now that the race is so close, I'm accepting the fact that I won't gain much more fitness, and I'm wondering what I would do differently next time.

I think I did a decent job of modifying my training plan to maintain a reasonable work/life/tri balance. Sure, I missed lots of workouts - mostly runs and rides. I think I'll be fine on the run though. I wish I did more rides in the 40-50 mile range followed by runs in the 4-6 mile range. That would give me a much better idea of my HIM race pace. I really don't know what to expect on the bike and run for this distance.

I suppose I'll find out! Good luck Beej, I'm sure you'll do great.
2010-06-16 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Beej - 2010-06-16 1:56 PM My first HIM is Saturday. I'm looking at my logs, reading threads, thinking about gear, checking weather reports, and generally being alternatively calm and nervous. Training since Feb. 1. Swim: 36.8 mi. Bike: 715mi. Run: 255mi. Mountain run: 16 mi. 126 hours of training was about 85% of what I planned. Most of the skipped work came within the past month neglecting my long bike rides. On a positive note my running shape is better than expected. Weather calls for 85 and sunny so hydration and overheating will be a concern. I wish I had hit my long rides. On the other hand my bike power, run speed, and swim speed still improved significantly over the course of the past 4 months. I'm more nervous than before my first Oly because I had done 30 miles rides followed by 10k runs in training. I knew my body would do the work. I'm not sure how my legs will respond after biking 56 miles. At this point I am trusting my calculated power limits for my bike (aim for 204W not to exceed 240W for any lengthy period) will keep the legs from burning out so my run strength can take over. I still have no clue how I'm going to stay hydrated enough without bloating for the run. I'm a larger athlete (6 foot, 200#) and a heavy sweater and would much rather it be 60 and overcast. Mostly typing here so I don't drive my non-tri friends nuts. Can it be Saturday 7:30am soon, please?

Congrats on the training so far.  It is a great bike course, assuming the fixed some of the flooded areas from last month.  They repaved most of the roads from previous years, so you don't have to worry about that.  The course is such that you will have "recovery" time for your legs on the bike.  The swim is in a great pond, (it was a little to more than a little short last year). Some people came out of the water in 19 mins.  I did the run portion of the race last year and it was the first time I had ever ran 13.1 non stop.  Plenty of water stops.  When you turn the corner for home, there is a big hill, but other than that, pretty flat and pretty shaded.  

You should be fine.  Good luck.  Nerves are normal.

2010-06-16 1:49 PM

Regular
Seattle
Nerves are good, but do not over think it and remember to have enjoy the experience.

Here is an article that I wish someone had sent me before my first HIM, it is about a full IM but is fairly applicable to the HIM as well.

http://www.trifuel.com/training/triathlon-training/the-endurance-nation-four-keys-to-ironman-execution

I read it before doing New Orleans for a second time this year and found it comforting on the bike as I kept getting passed, and great advise on the run as I was almost 25 minutes faster on the run than the first time I did the course.
2010-06-16 2:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Massachusetts

I know how your feeling if not worse.  The Patriot will be my first HIM; as well as my first Tri.

I'll see you in the transition area, if not on the road before, I'm also up here in NBPT.  Good Luck.

2010-06-16 2:39 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Patriot will be a fun first HIM for you!

What is your FTP and what percentage of it did you use for your power goals? and power max?

What I did on my last HIM was stop taking calories and fluid in 20' before the end of the bike to let my stomach empty out for the run and it worked well.

I'll be there...hope to meet you there.

2010-06-16 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
North Central WV
No advice. I just wanted to say good luck to all of you.   I went into my first (and only) HIM somewhat undertrained but loved every minute of it.  It was a fabulous way to spend a day outside.  It was a stinkin' hot day, the day of my HIM.  I didn't hydrate a whole lot on the bike but I drank a water and a sports drink at every single mile on the run.  I cannot remember the day's high - low mid 90's but it was about 115 out on the black top.  Bloat was never a problem and despite my two water bottles on the bike and 13 water stops on the run, no bloat, no pee.  So there is hope for you   All the best.  Looking forward to the race report.
2010-06-16 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2925951

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelmsford, MA
Boston Beginner - 2010-06-16 2:31 PM

Congrats on the training so far.  It is a great bike course, assuming the fixed some of the flooded areas from last month.  They repaved most of the roads from previous years, so you don't have to worry about that.  The course is such that you will have "recovery" time for your legs on the bike.  The swim is in a great pond, (it was a little to more than a little short last year). Some people came out of the water in 19 mins.  I did the run portion of the race last year and it was the first time I had ever ran 13.1 non stop.  Plenty of water stops.  When you turn the corner for home, there is a big hill, but other than that, pretty flat and pretty shaded.  

You should be fine.  Good luck.  Nerves are normal.

I did manage to ride the bike course back in May. It's similar if not slightly flatter than what I normally ride up here in the Merrimac Valley. The pavement was awesome, also. I'm looking forward to some fast times.

KathyG - 2010-06-16 3:39 PM

Patriot will be a fun first HIM for you!

What is your FTP and what percentage of it did you use for your power goals? and power max?

What I did on my last HIM was stop taking calories and fluid in 20' before the end of the bike to let my stomach empty out for the run and it worked well.

My FTP ended up at 256W (up from 242W on April 1) based on my last tests. I'm basing my average and limit numbers on the tables in Chapter 10 on Triathlete's Guide to Training with Power (Skiba). I used the same tables last year for my Oly and was able to run a decent 10k after getting off of the bike. I did a race simulation of 50% of race distance at 204W and while I could feel it I had no issues getting off of the bike and going out for a short run afterwards. Strangely I feel like 204 W may be a bit high for me to ride then run at, but other than my gut I have nothing that indicates otherwise.

Do you know where you'll be working that day?

2010-06-16 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Count me in!  My first HIM will be Racine 70.3 in about a month.  I'm scared to death.  I know I can do the swim and bike part.  The run is another story.  I really want to run the run and not walk the whole thing.  Lately, my nutrition has been a problem too.  I have some things to figure out in the next month.  Yikes!
2010-06-16 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2926016

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
charlieq - 2010-06-16 1:49 PM Nerves are good, but do not over think it and remember to have enjoy the experience.

Here is an article that I wish someone had sent me before my first HIM, it is about a full IM but is fairly applicable to the HIM as well.

http://www.trifuel.com/training/triathlon-training/the-endurance-nation-four-keys-to-ironman-execution

I read it before doing New Orleans for a second time this year and found it comforting on the bike as I kept getting passed, and great advise on the run as I was almost 25 minutes faster on the run than the first time I did the course.

Thanks for the link, it puts the whole race in perspective.  Training for my first HIM as well.
2010-06-16 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2926191

User image

Champion
MA
P
KathyG - 2010-06-16 3:39 PM Patriot will be a fun first HIM for you!

My FTP ended up at 256W (up from 242W on April 1) based on my last tests. I'm basing my average and limit numbers on the tables in Chapter 10 on Triathlete's Guide to Training with Power (Skiba). I used the same tables last year for my Oly and was able to run a decent 10k after getting off of the bike. I did a race simulation of 50% of race distance at 204W and while I could feel it I had no issues getting off of the bike and going out for a short run afterwards. Strangely I feel like 204 W may be a bit high for me to ride then run at, but other than my gut I have nothing that indicates otherwise. Do you know where you'll be working that day?

I think I'm a swim volunteer along with 2 or 3 of my kids and one of their friends. I can't be on my feet all day since I'm in recovering from knee surgery. I look like my avatar and have pretty short hair and will most likely be wearing an IM headsweat hat.

I'm impressed with your race simulation and you do have solid knowledge what has worked for you in training so it should work on race day. I found race simulations very good as I knew what I could do and race day it was just about executing. I raced at lower watts than what Skiba's book recommended as it was what felt right to me in my couple race simulations. I had a strong run and slight negative split so I pleased.

I'm bummed I'm not doing the race...it was to be my spring A race and my training and fitness had been going well up through April.

I'll PM you my cell so you can call me race morning if you can't find me.

2010-06-16 5:03 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I hear you! nervous b4 the race is normal of course. once the gun goes off you will feel better, but until then keep it under control.

I was doing fairly well keeping myself calm the day before the race, but my friends were the ones getting me nervous. Wanting me to do this and that, asking me if I was nervous, and telling me to calm down (when I really was ok)..I think it was THEIR nervousness they were reflecting back onto me. that was driving me nuts. I realized I had to focus on being extra calm and try to keep away from them, not fall into their anxiety trap.

So beware, you're friends are great assets, but if they are doing the same race, you may have to keep your distance and your sanity!!  Follow your own plan and try not to get rattled by others.

just my 2 cents.
2010-06-16 5:04 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
My 1st HIM is in 3 weeks (no time goal-just finishing).  Nervous?  Hell yes since I almost DNF'ed my 1st Oly last Summer due to horrible pacing (biked WAY too hard on a hot Aug day). 
Training so far this year:
Swim 71k M
Bike 1300mi (lower than past several yrs)
Run 258mi

This was my peak week before tapering.  Six days ago did a 56m bike/13.1m run brick.  Too fast on bike with too little water & calories, so HM time suffered.  Took a recovery day & cut back training.  Today did 2k pool swim, drove 2mi straight home & hopped on bike for pretty well-paced 56mi, then T2 into 5k run.  Better hydration & fueling, and legs still had some pop for sprint or two towards end of the bike (would NOT do that in HIM).  Brick into 5k run.  Still ran 1st mi too fast (although felt SLOW) and hamstrings were a bit tired, but legs felt generally OK. 

Still nervous, but feeling more confident.
2010-06-16 6:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
You sound a lot more trained and prepared for your first HIM than I was for mine so you ought to do just fine. My first was in Macon, GA in early June so it was very hot and humid. I had no nutrition plan and did not follow any training schedule. I didn't try and kill it on the bike, but I still had a little cramping in my thighs when I first started running. I finished the race just under 6 hours which was my goal. I did end up with a killer headache afterward due to dehydration which made for a long drive back home to FL.
Don't over analyze everything and race your own race. Don't go too hard on the bike because 13.1 miles is a long way to walk.
2010-06-16 6:27 PM

First HIM on Sunday here in Victoria.  It is going to be a sunny day but not to warm.  I am super nervous and just want it to be here.  I think I have nailed all my training just need to race to find out
2010-06-17 7:27 AM

Regular
So glad to see this thread! 
My first HIM is 7/11 and I'm terrified.   It's the heat that is scaring the heck out of me.   Last Sunday I did a 60 mile bike followed by 6 mile run in 90 degrees, and had complete spaghetti legs on the run.    I hope it was insufficient fueling.  I weigh 115.  I did 270 calories over 3 hours and 48 oz water.    No calories on the run.     My run base in 20 miles per week this year, after 6 years of steady marathon training at 40-50 miles per week.

Seriously considering trading down to an aquabike and waiting for my first HIM for when it is cooler.

2010-06-17 7:35 AM
in reply to: #2927313

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelmsford, MA
pmt - 2010-06-17 8:27 AM

So glad to see this thread! 
My first HIM is 7/11 and I'm terrified.   It's the heat that is scaring the heck out of me.   Last Sunday I did a 60 mile bike followed by 6 mile run in 90 degrees, and had complete spaghetti legs on the run.    I hope it was insufficient fueling.  I weigh 115.  I did 270 calories over 3 hours and 48 oz water.    No calories on the run.     My run base in 20 miles per week this year, after 6 years of steady marathon training at 40-50 miles per week.

Seriously considering trading down to an aquabike and waiting for my first HIM for when it is cooler.

My guess would be insufficient calories and electrolytes. My wife is smaller than you and consumes closer to 150 calories per hour on her long events.

The good news is you still have 3 weeks left to practice caloric intake to make sure it doesn't upset your stomach.
2010-06-17 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2926016

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
charlieq - 2010-06-16 2:49 PM Nerves are good, but do not over think it and remember to have enjoy the experience.

What an excellent article!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Official first HIM nerves thread Rss Feed