United States
Premier Event Management
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 06m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = m30-35
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

pre-race noz: going to get 5 hours sleep and i'm going to have all my stuff situated early so i have time to warm up.

race noz: FRICK! what time is it? i've got to calm the h down so i can get some sleep. try to think of something mundane and boring. IT'S NOT WORKING!!

post-race noz: you never get any sleep the night before. why should this be any different?
Event warmup:

pre-race noz: going to warm up, nice and easy. run a mile or two and get in and swim a little bit. should i ride the bike? nah, i never do that.

race noz: sorry, how was that? the race is a sprint now? do i have time to do some more warm up? no? time to go to the beach?

post-race noz: i need to do a better job warming up. need to break a sweat a little. perhaps then i'll be ready from the get go.
Swim
  • 07m 54s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

pre-race noz: long and strong. long is strong, strong is fast. get a start and settle in. you don't need to be a hero, but don't sit on you a$$ either. there's going to be some swimmers here, find a friendly pair of feet and hold on. oh, and be sure to lube your neck.

race noz: 400 meters? screw the wetsuit. let's just get on with our lives. with only 400 meters we can blow this out a little bit. okay, feeling good, gotta pick my way through some swimmers. hello feet! are you fast feet? no, you are slow feet. see you on the bike slow feet! swim all the way into the beach, bingo.

post-race noz: that was not 400 meters. either that or i went reeaaaaallly slow. maybe i should have thrown on the wetsuit. didn't have too much trouble swimming around people through. and the different colored bouys were nice!
What would you do differently?:

on my 235th stroke, i could have reached further.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

pre-race noz: wow. lots of bikes. and people. with all the rain and wet people, this place is going to turn into a mud pen. any socks i wear are going to be instantly gross as i run to mount the bike. okay, last minute decision! no socks on the bike, we'll tape and lube to try to prevent blisters. fingers crossed.

race noz: okay, just run along here and make a right at south korea. frick, the relay teams are in my way. "EXCUSE ME! LOOK OUT! COMING THROUGH! BLAHLALALALA!"

post-race noz: not having to take a wetsuit off was nice. and i had some fun with the relay people. not a bad t1.
Bike
  • 35m 56s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 20.71 mile/hr
Comments:

pre-race noz: okay, here's where the spin class pays off. stay in your zones, focus on your technique, and remember you've got six miles to run after this. let's be agressive, but not stupid.

race noz: sprint means that the hr zones are pretty much worthless. but let's try to get after it. smart cycling. frick, people are blowing past me. why does my bike suck? hold on, let's save those thoughts until after the race.

post-race noz: why does my bike suck. well, given that the race may have been from 12.4 (per the results) to 13.2, i really can't beat myself up about this. if it was 13.2 miles, my speed was closer to 22 mph, which is not too shabby. still, got past a lot. whatever dude.

started my watch to show how fast i was going. then i could be obsessed with speed alone and not listen to my body at all. sounds good, right?
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

pre-race noz: don't forget your gel. nice easy run pace. don't slip.

race noz: don't forget your gel. nice easy run pace. don't slip. oh, and don't forget your socks.

post-race noz: remembered my socks and gel, ran a nice easy pace, didn't slip.
Run
  • 20m 29s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 03m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

pre-race noz: six miles. we got our zones. second half, be aggressive, make it hurt, do not back down.

race noz: "half way already? it's only been four minutes. that dude is a liar." short course means no huge hills. control the first half. let's let it fly the second half. "no water volunteers, but i'll take some high fives!!!!" last mile, let's run it up a little bit. and let's celebrate the end!

post-race noz: again, could have been more aggressive, but i just don't think i made the mental switch from oly to sprint.

where i did something wrong, i would do the opposite of that.
Post race
Warm down:

pre-race noz: when we are done, let's hang out with our family and friends and take in all the expo has to offer.

race noz: merciful crap the storm is coming! throw the bag to your dad and get going on your bike! get the h out of here!

post-race noz: almost made it to the mall before the sky opened. almost.

Event comments:

this race report will be pretty much worthless to all in the future since it wasn't the full race. for what is was worth, this was the biggest race i've ever been to. i was a little overwhelmed, but for the most part, i thought it was run very well. if you've got the extra cash lying around, it's a nice race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-01-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:54 | 400 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: someone miscalculated.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:56 | 12.4 miles | 20.71 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: may not be as long as they think it was.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:29 | 06.21 miles | 03m 18s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-16 5:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
Subject: Hy-Vee Triathlon

2010-06-16 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2926571

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Hy-Vee Triathlon
That is a fun race with all those people.  Nice job out there.  Love the finishing pose!
2010-06-17 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

So they shortened the corse?

Fun Fun

Love the race report -- so real!   I do the same stuff -- at least in my head

Congrats on a fun race

You should really go do LTF tri in MSP --- that race is a blast!   HUGE field, but tons of fun!   -- not exactly cheap though!

2010-06-18 6:38 AM

User image

Elite

Another fun read from Noz.  So when did the course get completely changed on you?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hy-Vee Triathlon Rss Feed