General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Enough training time for first Tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-17 9:16 AM

User image

Subject: Enough training time for first Tri?
I've been bitten by the triathlon bug!  Which would be great, except that I can't swim.  I don't sink, but all I can do is a pathetic dog paddle that doesn't really move me forward.  I've signed up for swimming lessons at the local Y, that start the last week in June.  I'd really love to sign up for the Massachusetts Buzzards Bay triathlon on September 26.  I'm a strong cyclist and I know I can improve my running in that time period, but what about the swimming?  Is there any realistic hope for me to go from where I am now, basically a nonswimmer, to someone who can at least get through the swimming portion with enough left over to bike and run?  Or do I simply need more time to spend enough time in the water?  by the way I've got two elementary aged kids, a full time job, and a husband who also needs exercise/training time, so my training needs to fit into a very limited amount of time.  I can't simply put everything on hold in order to do this. 

I've looked at various swim training plans, and they all seem to expect more time than I've got to get me ready.  Anyone thing I can realistically do this in three months? 

thanks!

2010-06-17 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2927542

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Enough training time for first Tri?

If I read the race's web site correctly, the swim is approx. 500 yards in open water.

I?? would recommend against signing up for this with no swim experience and minimal training for 3 months.

2010-06-17 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
It all depends on how well you adapt to the lessons. Some people can quickly learn, while others can struggle for years. No way to know until you do it. Hold off on registering for a race until you know you can complete the distance.
2010-06-17 9:50 AM

User image

I say go for it! When I started this adventure I couldn't swim AT ALL, don't have my own bike. I got in the pool at the gym, watched a few good swimmers and tried to do what they did. I asked them questions, read a lot of tips, and borrowed a bike for the race. I just fit in workouts whenever I could in my hectic schedule and I had a fantastic race day even with lack of training time and very limited swimming exposure.
2010-06-17 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2927647

User image

It definitely makes sense to hold off on registering until I see how I do in the water!  I've gotten myself excited about the idea of doing this, and don't want to wait until next spring to do my first Tri unless I really have to.  I also don't want to get in the water and realize that I wasn't ready and there's no way I'm even going to get to the other sections! 

But assuming that, after a couple of swimming lessons, I am capable of moving forward in the water, and assuming that my goal is to finish, not to post a fabulous time, it is possible to become capable of swimming 500 m by September, isn't it?  Smile
2010-06-17 10:11 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Again, no way to know until you do it.

FWIW, I helped out teaching kids to swim a few years ago. In every class there were always a couple who would learn to swim fairly easily and have no trouble completing multiple lengths of the pool within a couple of weeks. There were also some who could never progress beyond getting about halfway across a length and then having to hold onto the lane line ropes. No way to tell before a class started which kids would "get it" and which would struggle.

I realize adults are different, but some bring inherent fears that are difficult to overcome. A big key is how relaxed a person is in the water, and paying attention to proper breathing technique. People who have no fear of having their head underwater and exhaling tend to do better. People who can barely stand to get their face wet and need to exhale and inhale with their head out of the water tend to struggle.

2010-06-17 10:16 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Bragg, NC
Congrats on deciding to take swim lessons! It'll help you tremendously in the long run. The swim is way less about fitness and more about form and technique, so as long as you've got the basics down and you've done a few 500s beforehand and know what it feels like, I think you'll do just fine.

Here is my opinion on the 500: get in the water tonight and try it. You said you can doggie paddle a little bit. A 500 yard swim is 10 laps, or 20 down-and-backs in a standard pool. An open water swim is pretty different, but start with this. The reality is that some people will be out of the water on a 500 in about six minutes, and some people will struggle the whole way but still be out in about 20, worst case scenario. It's not really that big of a time difference. Even if all you end up being able to do is freestyle 100, dog paddle and float, freestyle 50, then float to the finish, you'll still have finished it. A 500 is not very long, and you can expect to be far better after your lessons than you are now.
2010-06-17 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Saint Simons Island, GA
I say go ahead and start training and see where you are in a month or two.  You just might surprise yourself.  Also, since the race is late September, you might be able to wear a wetsuit.  A wetsuit will make you much more buyount and will make you feel more secure in the water. (My wetsuit was more responsible for finishing my first OWS than I was!).  You can rent one or pick a used one up on eBay pretty cheap.  Good luck!
2010-06-17 11:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central Iowa
I signed up for a sprint tri at the end of August without knowing how to run.

Maybe I won't be able to run 5K by then, but this tri fills up early and I have a really great fall-back plan: walk.

The fall-back plan if you can't swim the distance isn't so great. But I won't suggest that you don't sign up for this tri! Maybe research when registration usually fill up for your tri and wait until after you've had a few lessons to register?

2010-06-17 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2928009

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
4 days a week in the pool will fix that.  It did for me.
2010-06-17 11:46 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

Swimming is all about technique. In running and cycling improvements primarily come in gradual increments as fitness improves. In swimming you plateau and then suddenly a few weeks later you learn so proper technique and BOOM – your speed improves. My first race, I signed up for a Tri with a 400m in Lake Ontario 1 months away. I could not swim two lengths of a pool. I eventually learned to swim 400m at a 3:00min/100m pace, then discovered better body position and dropped to 2:30min/100m, then proper breathing and head position and dropped to 2:00min/100m….

I say go for it. Get a wetsuit for the race – it will help you float.

Practice, Practice, Practice. Get a few small open water swims in August.

Check out the Total Immersion book or videos (it was helpful for a terrible swimmer like me)

2010-06-17 2:09 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
you've got almost 3 months and if you focus on it and get lessons and 3-4x wk in the pool (doesn't have to be long workouts - my swim coach adviced that for beginners 20-30 minutes each time is enough) - you will be fine.

I started swimming about 3 months ago and could barely swim 50m at a time.  After 2 lessons (one was private and helped a lot better), and 2-3x per week in the pool, I'm now comfortably able to swim 600m and still not be breathing hard.  Now it's not fast, but I know I can swim the distance (and I tend to do more cycling and running).  My first tri will be a pool swim though so I have it a bit easier (and it's only 350m so I know I can do it).  A few open water practices would also be good.  I'm planning some OWS sessions starting in August since my 2nd tri will likely involved open water.

I echo the comments about technique.  The lessons are worth it. If you can - do it as a private or semi-private (2 people) lesson so the coach can watch you closely for the whole hour.  It will really help get the technique better.
2010-06-17 2:52 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I'm not trying to be the voice of negativity.  Believe me.

BUT......I underestimated the swim.  I've been at this for almost 3mos..  And, I haven't made the progress I thought I would.  Bike?  Fine.  Run?  Fine.  I (like you're thinking of doing) signed up for my 1st ahead of knowing I could make the swim distance (shorter than yours).  I made myself do the distance (variation of crawl and side-stroke) well before the race, and I did the race (struggling MIGHTILY).  It wasn't fun.  Not in the least.  The rest of the race was (in my mind) "great".

Don't underestimate the swim.  That's my advice.  Get a coach, NOW.  Get in the water, NOW.

jeff
2010-06-17 7:54 PM

User image

Master
Dirt Road
Surely the race won't fill up this early. Wait a couple of weeks and then decide. I personally believe you can do it.
2010-06-17 9:06 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
I've never been capable of a race distance on the day I signed up for a race, but I darned well made sure I was ready on race day!

On June 7 last year, I got the idea to Tri.  I signed up for August 9, only two months away.  I was able to run a slow 5K at the time, but that was it.  I knew "how" to ride and bike (a hybrid).  I "thought" I could swim but quickly discovered I could not.  I signed up for adult swim lessons at the YMCA that started on July 7, one month before my Tri.  My first Tri was a 250 pool swim, so you do have it a bit tougher.  But I think with determined preparation you can do it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Enough training time for first Tri? Rss Feed