General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Garmin 310xt or not to Garmin? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-17 9:56 AM

New user
Subject: To Garmin 310xt or not to Garmin?
Hello to all. I am a beginner to tris and am building my gear as I build on my training and knowledge. As such I've taken the approach of trying to invest wisely on gear and in time. I am looking for advice on the purchase of a Garmin 310xt. My goal is the Madison IM next year, with sprints thru Oly and possibly a 1/2 this year if timing and training time allow.I have an iPhone, a base model Polar HR monitor and a Cateye Strada on the bike. With the iPhone, I can map and track my routes. The Polar works thru the swimming (albeit questionably) and the bike computer logs all the typical info less cadence. What intrigues me about the Garmin is it is all integrated into the watch and it's on sale at Nasbhar thru noon today for a good price. After adding the footpod and the cadence sensor I'm looking at close to $500. I'm willing to make the investment if wise, but not frivolously.I could grab a bike computer to cover the cadence gap I now have, and the HR monitor works fine. I would like to have some pace monitoring capability, which the iPhone can do, but clumsily. No to mention it's battery endurance wouldn't last thru much more than a 1/2. My bike is setup as I need and I also have race wheels.What are your opinions? Is this THE training tool that can make a significant difference in obtaining my IM goal provided all else (time/miles) is invested? TIA

2010-06-17 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2927675

Regular
Subject: RE: To Garmin 310xt or not to Garmin?
Are you planning on running indoors alot?  If not you might be able to forgo the foot pod which would save you almost $90.  Also look for sales on the 310xt. The price has been trending down to close to $300 without the hr monitor.  In fact I believe there is currently a $50 rebate through the end of July if you buy from an authorized Garmin Retailer.

Edited to add rebate link http://fleetfeetsports.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/2010-forerunner-...

Edited by kklems 2010-06-17 10:33 AM
2010-06-17 10:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rockville, MD
Keep an eye on bikenashbar.com as they usually have 20% off deals a couple times a month. Combined with the $50 rebate, you can get the 310xt with HR strap for under $300 (~$270).

Bikenashbar has 20% off right now until noon (EDT) if you hurry.

Edited by nhunter344 2010-06-17 10:36 AM
2010-06-17 10:37 AM

Egham, England
Get all the stuff you've already got and put it on ebay and put that money towards the 310.

Now with the swimming sorted out on them they are without doubt brilliant. Battery life, usability, everything.

The only way they could improve this is to make the HR work under water and make it smaller without compromising the ease of use like they did when they brought out the 405!

Oh, and perhaps the colour - I don't like orange...
2010-06-17 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
I'm very happy with my 310XT. I find it an essential training tool to help determine perceived effort (how I feel) versus how hard I'm working (heart rate). I like how everything is integrated into the unit and enjoy using Garmin Connect to log everything. There are a lot of 3rd-party tools for deeper looks at your training. It's also very handy for hiking, mountain biking, etc.

That said, you might be just as happy with a 305 and save yourself a lot of money. The swimming functionality (or skiing - those of you with a 310 know what I mean!) is only marginally useful as it does not do heart rate or distance reliably even with the latest update. You're basically integrating the tools you currently have into one unit.

Like the previous poster mentioned, you can drop the foot pod and save yourself a chunk of cash too. I go back and forth on it - it would be nice to have, but $90????
2010-06-17 10:53 AM

User image

SC
I would go with the 310xt, Speed/Cadence Sensor, HR Monitor and Quick Release Mount. Those items can give you a ton of info and use w/o having a bunch of equipment. Also if you plan on training with power down the road the 310 is set up to do that as well. I wouldn't worry with the Foodpod unless, as said above, you plan on doing a lot of treadmill work. If/when I'm forced to run on the treadmill I just use my HR data and the read out on the treadmill. You can also use the 310 and mapmyride.com (or similiar software/site) to download routes and maps. The map readout isn't great (single line representing road) but it will give give you a basic idea of the route, where to turn etc, w/o risking your iphone to being lost or broken.

I guess, in a nutshell if I didn't already have a 305 I would get the 310 (and accessories) for it's versatility, ease of use, upgradeability, etc.

Good Luck with meeting your goals and remember that gathering tons of info about your body's outputs is useless w/o the knowledge of how to incorporate those numbers into your training plan. Much of which you can get by asking many of the very experienced people on this website.

BTW, I'm not one of those very experienced people and I learn something everytime I log in here.

2010-06-17 11:19 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Helibee - 2010-06-17 9:56 AM  Is this THE training tool that can make a significant difference in obtaining my IM goal provided all else (time/miles) is invested? TIA

significant??.......no   my 2 cents...good luck

2010-06-17 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
If you're the type that gets motivated by having some numbers in front of you, and also after you train, then get one.  As someone previously mentioned, the biggest difference from a 305 and a 310xt is the swimming/water capability (which is not that great since it still has difficulty with GPS under water...so you can put it in your swim cap, but you can do the same with a 305 in a ziplock).  The second is that it is set-up for receiving power signals from an ANT+ power meter.  For me, the footpod was worth it - primarily to help me work on my running cadence - but I didn't get one from the beginning.

I still have a bike computer even when I use my Garmin.  I do use a Bontrager Node  1 which uses the same cadence/speed sensor  (and HR strap) as the Garmin (and is also wireless) so I have a back-up when I forget to charge my Garmin on a training ride.  Coupled with the Garmin software/web uploads, it's fun looking back and comparing some training days (especially on the same route).

Personally, I'd get a good deal on a 305 with HR strap, speed/cadence sensor, and a mount.  The rest can wait until later. I tried using the footpod on a treadmill but since i've been running outdoors more often, it's not a big deal.
2010-06-17 6:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg
I love mine, like to see the data after a ride/run.  And the people I ride with enjoy seeing the routes and splits too.
2010-06-18 9:31 AM

User image

Elite
Miami
its a great tool, and fun......I was able to pick up my 310xt from nashbar for i think a total of $240...it was a great buy....you can also look into the new Timex GPS watch @ REI...virtually the same watch. 

in the end the garmin will not make you a better swimmer, biker, runner.....because in order to accomplish this you need to get ou there and train...BUT it will give you a motivational factor....its fun seeing run pace, heart rate.....loading the data and seeing the places you ran....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Garmin 310xt or not to Garmin? Rss Feed