General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can I really improve that much? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-06-19 6:28 AM
in reply to: #2929667

User image

Master
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Can I really improve that much?
I think you can get a lot in 3 days, if those three days are quality workouts (you aren't constrained to short rides and aren't carrying significant fatigue from the other 4 days a week).

As far as improving to where you want to be, only you can answer that.  It is certainly achievable, in theory, but whether it is a goal to which you are willing to commit, is up to you. 

People have shared tons of ideas.  No one thing is a magic potion (ride more, ride in groups, do long steady rides, do crazy hammer fests....).  Optimal progress probably lies in a balance of these things.  Off the top of my head, I can think of the following list of things that can lead to improvements in cycling speed.  Are there some that are weaknesses for you or that you have previously focused little attention upon?  If so, that's a good place to start:

1) Building more endurance base with longer riders
2.) Building more intensity in to your rides
3.) Doing speed work (different than pure intensity)
4.) Improving technique (leg speed, pedal stroke, position, pacing).
5.) Adding structure to your training (e.g., specific intervals, coaching, using a power meter, reading and following a program of someone like Joe Friel)
6.) Riding with others who can push you, model skills, etc
7.) Adding a periodized schedule so that you are at peak for key races
8.) Improving psychological/mental skills
9.) Improvements in equipment (including fit)

2010-06-19 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2930231

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
GoFaster - 2010-06-18 11:55 AM Great feedback, and I knew I should have mentioned that with updating my logs I'm seriously behind. 

If riding 3 days a week is not going to be enough (and I accept that it likely won't be), then typically what amount of volume are those of you putting in, that have seen real increases?  I get that to be a better cyclist, you should hang with the roadies, and I tried that last year but the scheduling of most group rides clashed with my family schedule, so eveything I now is mostly going to be done on my own, or with one or two other Triathletes.

Last winter I did Jorge's winter challenge and increased my FTP by about 10% - but that equalled out to very little real speed.  Realistically, how much do you need to increase your FTP to see significant gains in speed?

a 10% increase in FTP is a NICE Gain!  I'll say it again. . you can do it on your frequency, you just aren't putting in enough hours.  at 3 times a week you can make 6 hours a week on the bike easy, doing a 3 hour weekend ride and two 90 minute rides during the week, run an hour each time and swim an hour each time and you are putting in 12 hours a week.. doing 4x a week will spread that out more giving you some easier days, but  it really depends on your recovery ability.
2010-06-20 11:51 AM

Master
, California
If riding 3 days a week is not going to be enough (and I accept that it likely won't be), then typically what amount of volume are those of you putting in, that have seen real increases?

A couple things I haven't seen people mention yet:

1) What distance race are you focusing on?  I've been training for IM distance and I generally put in 3 weekdays on the bike (1-2hrs each) + 1 long ride on the weekend (4+ hours).  I think at shorter race distances you don't need the long ride so much, but should focus on speed training.  I might even put in an extra day on the bike if it was my weak area.

2) Strength training a couple days a week can help.  Especially if you're in rainy weather season and can't get all your hill riding done.  Squats / leg press / calfs / extensions can all be improved in the gym, plus you can do some spinning indoors.

3) Is your bike fit properly, and is it set up for the kind of race you're doing?  Sometimes minor changes in aero position can help you improve speed, or reduce fatigue over distance (such as your neck).

Edited by spudone 2010-06-20 11:52 AM
2010-06-20 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2931263

User image

Pro
Burbs
tri808 - 2010-06-18 9:54 PM
trishie - 2010-06-18 4:35 PM I haven't been cycling for long enough to see a great improvement, but I can give you my anecdotal evidence with running:

My first marathon was Baltimore in 2005. I ran it in 4:45. That's a 10:52 pace.

My most recent marathon was Nations in 2009. I ran it in 5:30 3:50. That's an 8:46 pace.

I never really did any speedwork -- just ran more and ran continuously.

It sounds cliche, but there really is no magic bullet. The more you s/b/r, and the longer you s/b/r, the faster you will be at s/b/r !

You need to give yourself more credit  =)

Whoops, yup! 3:50!
(and only 10 minutes to cut to BQ )
2010-06-21 7:43 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Some great responses out there, and I appreciate all the feedback.  As mentioned, I'd really like to take part in group rides where you just try to hang with the fast kids, but this isn't going to work in my schedule for the foreseeable future, and a lot of the other points make complete sense - i.e. you need to log the hours, mix up the workouts, etc.

I am curious about a couple of points that dredwards raised:

2.) Building more intensity in to your rides
3.) Doing speed work (different than pure intensity)
4.) Improving technique (leg speed, pedal stroke, position, pacing)

What is the difference between speed work and intensity, in my mind I thought they went hand in hand?  And to the point about improving technique, what type of resources can anyone recommend to focus on some of these things?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can I really improve that much? Rss Feed  

of 3