General Discussion Race Reports! » 2010 JRAG Buster Britton Memorial Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2010 JRAG Buster Britton Memorial Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pelham, Alabama
United States
Team Magic, Inc
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 27s
Overall Rank = 124/290
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 17/37
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 0415. Dressed, ate 1/2cup coffee, 1piece of pb toast. Packed the car.
Event warmup:

Setup the transition area and walked through the routine from the water, T1, bike in/out, T2, and run. Made myself familiar with the ins/outs determining where to go.

Did a slight quick jog along the main road to check the shoes and laces. Then headed to the lake to warm up with a short swim.
Swim
  • 06m 50s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Immediately after diving in, my goggles decided to pop loose. Still in shallow water so took a second to reset them. More irritated than anything about this.

Resumed and started getting in rhythm. Felt very rushed and had a bit of difficulty getting to a 3stroke breathing pattern. Once I rounded the first main bouy (approx 100yrd), it was game on and started attacking.

Passed at least 8. Came out with another fellow that was seeded 6places up from me. Also, went to pass one guy who didn't approve, so he gave me some elbows and finally a swift kick in the stomach, which really forced me to back off.
What would you do differently?:

tighten the goggles even tighter. Settle the nerves before going in and attack on the passing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

Long run from the beach into T1 along with several stairs. The stairs threw me off again this year. Just took it in stride.

Peeled off goggles and cap on the run. Arrived at the bike (end post thankfully), put on bike shoes, sunglasses and helmet. Took out running up. Slight hill to the top of transition.

Felt like I was moving along, but the time shows otherwise.

Work on affixing the shoes to the pedals and learning the flying mount.
Bike
  • 42m 24s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Approached the mount line, jumped on, only to notice no tension in the chain. Looked down and somehow the chain was off and sitting on the bracket. Dismounted, fixed, and resumed.

In the fixing process, 4 people passed me and I was determined to catch them, which I did.

Absolutely HAMMERED the bike. Average speed was .8mph faster than my last TT out at the same place. Got in a groove and just held it. Passed numerous people. This probably came back to bite me.

Emptied the 20oz aerobottle by mile 7. Refilled it w/ 20oz G2. Nearly emptied it coming into T2.

Probably slow down and keep my speed at my training pace or just beyond. Not hammer so hard to make up ground.

Also, find a better way to affix the Garmin to the bike. I'm gunshy to use the 305 quick release, so had it strapped to the aerobar. This proved to be difficult taking it off in T2.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Overshot my transition spot while running in. Had to backtrack one rack to get the bike mounted. The Garmin didn't want to come lose from the aerobar and kept getting hung up. Should have just left it.

Changed shoes, dropped helmet, grabbed belt, and was gone.

Work on affixing that Garmin.
Run
  • 31m 26s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Blew up. HOT. Those two compbined led to a bad overall run. The sun peaked about the time I got on the run. The first .75mi was in the sun in the heat. Took water just to dump on my head.

Stomach wasn't very happy while running and was afraid to take more in. Finally the stomach rebelled and I emptied some of the contents on the side of the road. Afterwards, I felt good.

I just got overheated.

Seeing the finish line, got passed about .25mi out and just couldn't keep up with him. Got into the chute line and gave it all I had for the last couple hundred yards, but that was it. Couldn't catch him but didn't let anyone catch me again.

Work on the heat. Possibly not take in so much on the bike, or hammer so hard.
Post race
Warm down:

Went through the chute, grabbed two bottles of water. One for my head, one for me. It was hot.

Walked and mingled with others to cool down and keep from cramping. Took in a 3rd water as I was leaving heading home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat & blowing up on the run. I think the heat really did me in on the run.

Event comments:

Someone planned the XTERRA offroad 5k/10k/21k at the same time, 100yrds from the finish of our race. Traffic turned into a nightmare getting in. Because of this, transition stayed open longer, and the race was delayed by 10-15mins to allow the xterra's to get started and clear before we took out.

Otherwise, great race, even with the heat.

Last updated: 2010-03-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:50 | 437 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/37
Overall: 0/290
Performance: Good
AG 6/37
Suit: tri-suit
Course: triangle. leave the start, keep bouys to the right.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:24 | 13 miles | 18.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/37
Performance: Good
avg Hr 163 max Hr 175
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back. Left out of transition. Right along the park road over several rollers with a few steep pitches thrown in. Turnaround at mile 5ish, pass transition road, turn around at 11ish, and right back toward transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:26 | 03 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/37
Performance: Below average
avg Hr 166 max Hr 175
Course: Out and back. Slight uphill with two large segments on the way out to the turn around (1.5mi), then return along the same route. First/Last .75mi in the sun on the blacktop.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-18 12:54 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama
Subject: 2010 JRAG Buster Britton Memorial Triathlon

2010-06-21 5:59 AM
in reply to: #2930527

User image

Elite
SE
Subject: RE: 2010 JRAG Buster Britton Memorial Triathlon
well done! man that heat is a killer!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2010 JRAG Buster Britton Memorial Triathlon Rss Feed