Endureit
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 57s
Overall Rank = 1/
Age Group = Female Overall
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Got to race about 1.5 hrs early, set up T1, then checked in. Organized my transition area and headed out to do the 1st mile of the run course (cross country). Holy hills! At least the last two miles had only a gradual hill that you go up and down out and coming back into the finish. Then went out of a bike rude - went out about 2 miles then 2 miles back in - lots of stair stepping climbs on the way back...hmmm this course is going to be tough! Forgot to eat a gel and forgot to have a puff of my asthma spray before heading out to the water (my allergies were really bad so my asthma was bugging me). I didn't realize this till I was out on the bike during the race though. Put on wetsuit and swam out to the fist buoy and back before the start.
Event warmup:

see above
Swim
  • 09m 2s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

The girls and relays went first (yay!) so I tried to scope out a few college age swimmer boys -easy to find since they don't wear wetsuits and usually wear a speedo lazer type suits. When the gun went off I went out with about two other guys and started drafting off of them, but they slowed down by the first buoy and I took the lead. My stroke for the first time this season actually felt good - smooth and fast! Then headed to the first turn buoy and trie my best to find the second turn buoy which was directly in front of the sun -so it kind of looked like an eclipse. Luckily it was only about 25-50 yards and then back to shore. There was a big dead tree and a tall pole that was easy to spot just to the left of the swim finish so I aimed there and headed in.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

was able to run into T1 and get out of my wetsuit pretty quickly. Decided to not use sunglasses (ended up not needing them- so good choice). However, it took me forever to clip in - my right pedal was down and I had to pull it up before taking off - likely only lost a few seconds but felt like an eternity.

see above
Bike
  • 37m 35s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 19.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Was on my own for the first few miles and had a police car excort. This would have been good, but he was so far up the road that I could not make out what the turns were like. I definitely was on the brakes way too much and lost about :30 to a minute of free time. During the flat section the first relay passed me - a woman who was flying! I tried staring with her for a while, but didn't want to blow up. Then another relay - a guy passed me and we ended up going back and forth for the next few miles. I passed him on the steep hill and he passed me back with about 1.5 miles to go - at that point my legs were cooked from the hills and the heat and I needed to conserve a little energy for the run.

Be more aggressive on the downhills
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Should have popped the shoes off, but only practiced a few times before the race and didn't feel comfortable with it yet. Luckily my bike was racked about 10 yards from the bike exit so I don't think it slowed me down too much.

see above
Run
  • 22m 56s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were cooked from the bike and going up the hills I marched more than ran! Luckily the course is set up so that you can check out the competition pretty well, first at the field about .5 miles in, then up one of the trail hills and finally at the 2 mile turn around. I felt awful during the run and it was HOT! Luckily I was pretty sure I had a sizable lead and sure enough I didn't see any other women at the first two checkout areas. I was super happy when I got to the pavement (I'm not a good trail runner) and chugged away knowing I only had about 14 min to go. At the turnaround at mile 2 I checked my watch then saw the first woman about 2.5 minutes back - so about a 5 min lead. Thank goodness! I could probably walk to the finish and still make it there first. I got to the finish and was relieved to be done. That was a tough sprint! Reminded me of Alcatraz a bit. Found out during the awards ceremony that I broke the course record :)

Don't slack off because I have a lead.
Post race
Warm down:

I congratulated the lead men and stayed around to cheer and congratulate the 2nd and 3rd place women. Then ate some food and drank some too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See above

Event comments:

This was my first time doing this race and it was great. Well run, on time, nice goodie bag. Absolutely stunning bike course - I think one of the prettiest I have ever done and the prettiest in CT. I also liked having it on a Friday night so it doesn't kill the weekend. Also really nice prizes for top finishers!!!!

Last updated: 2010-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:02 | 880 yards | 01m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: rectangle out and back in a lake - smooth water and fairly sandy bottom. No visibility.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:46
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:37:35 | 12.4 miles | 19.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Miles approx. Realized I forgot to set my bike computer so did not have any mileage on the bike. Set the timer and figured it would take me between 35-40 min based on previous years splits.
Wind: None
Course: Rolling downhill for first few miles with some turns, then flat for about 6-7 miles then steep uphill and rolling uphills to finish. Not a PR type course. This is probably one of the harder sprint bike courses I have done - especially because all of the uphills are at the end.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:56 | 03.1 miles | 07m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: First mile is cross country style - flat for about 200 yards, then lots of steep little hills, then you run around a field, then more uphill, downhill, uphill, downhill, then onto pavement for a flat to gradual hill (up and down to the turnaround then back to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes