AA Sports
53F / 12C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 08m 38s
Overall Rank = 17/174
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/23
Pre-race routine:

Race started at 9AM. This was a last minute decision to go to Enumclaw and race this Olympic distance (C-priority race). It turned out to be more difficult to get to from Seattle than I expected and returning was even worse. Didn't help that I forgot my wetsuit and had to return to the house. Ate well before 7AM and had a banana at 8AM.
Event warmup:

Some stretching and swam a few strokes, mostly to verify that the water was actually 53F. While cold, it did not feel too much different than Seward Park or GreenLake this year and they are reporting low 60s. Where is the sun this year??
Swim
  • 14m 51s
  • 1000 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

It was cold and it looked like it was going to rain. Lost time trying to put on jacket and gloves. It was not happening quickly so I didn't put on the jacket; stuffed the long gloves in my shorts. Did not need either of them. There was only about 5 minutes or so of hard cold rain.
What would you do differently?:

Forget about the jacket and gloves if temp is low 60s. Heart rate was in the 150s throughout the race, so I stayed warm enough that way.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 21s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.47 mile/hr
Comments:

A good ride, but nothing spectacular. Had some fun riding with #210. Congrats to your finish Luke of Leavenworth.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

There was no volunteer at the exit of T2 and somehow I ended up running out of a slightly different exit. I was able to get over to the right lane, but it was a bit of indicator of how the day was going.
Run
  • 42m 54s
  • 6 miles
  • 07m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

No problem with heat as it was very cool. Fortunately no rain on this portion. The last mile or so was on a dirt (muddy) trail. Made me think about xTerra events and how that might be fun to try sometime.

Legs were really heavy on the run for the first 2 miles or so. This was race #6 for me in the past 2 years... so I am getting to understand what that feels like and means.
Post race
Warm down:

Drinking and eating. Standing around under the shelter to avoid the rain... waiting to see the race results. There was a power-outage (generator went down?) while we waited. This slowed the return of data and we all watched as the finish-line arch collapsed as air pressure was lost. I got a great picture of two volunteers holding up the arch as the finishers ducked under to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to be faster at everything. T1 was the weakest link, then run, then swim, T2, then bike.

Event comments:

Having been at the Boise Ironman 70.3 the previous weekend (admittedly more expensive)... this course paled by comparison in nearly every aspect. It was wet and a bit cold, but this is Washington so I am not sure that I can give the race director a full pardon. Parking was a problem right away, managing 4 races at once appeared to challenge their system, lots of twists and turns in and out of transitions, mile markers on bike and run courses absent, food and drink okay to below average, cheap T-shirt and no finishing medal. Pricing seemed to be the same as the Olympic events that I did last year, so where did the proceeds go?

Good event to get out for experience early in the season, but did not have the feel of a great event... particularly for beginners. If I were doing this again, I would find a different venue.

Last updated: 2010-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:51 | 1000 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/174
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Zoot
Course: Diamond shape. Single lap. This was supposed to be an Olympic distance but the race (director?) changed swim course to a "reportedly" 1/2 mile. Water was cold, but not that cold in my opinion. Note, I was in a full wetsuit that properly fit. There was a rather wide range of preparedness. Race director probably made the right call. Safety first, it is not worth an accident.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 53F / 12C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:56
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:21 | 24.85 miles | 22.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/23
Overall: 14/174
150s, might have peaked a 160 HR
Wind: None
Course: General Washington rural roads. Lots of green, but nothing really scenic.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:42:54 | 06 miles | 07m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/174
Course: Run along rural Washington roads lined with homes on large lots. There was two way traffic on a one side of the road shoulder. It was pretty crowded in some part. I was able to find mile 1 and mile 5 markers on the run, but otherwise there was no marking by the race director. I asked the volunteers what mile we were at as I passed, but no one seemed to know much. That made pacing a bit difficult given the technology I have on my wrist.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No