City of Pflugerville, Jack and Adams Bicycles
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 47s
Overall Rank = 78/479
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/39
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 430 after a restless nights sleep. Had a pb&j, banana, glass of milk and out the door by 510. Sipped on water and gatorade. Got to the site before 6. Transition was real close to parking, so took my time getting everything set up.
Event warmup:

Got in the water for a quick swim.
Swim
  • 10m 57s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Probably my best all round swim ever. Stayed to the outside, so I definitely swam farther than 500m, but it was well worth it staying out of any trouble. My sighting went great. I drafted off several people. I pushed a little harder than normal, but not all out. Had no breathing issues. Great swim, very pleased. My goal was 11min.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Only negative was I just could not get clipped in. Only lost a few sec but it was annoying.

I really need to start practicing having my shoes already clipped in on the bike.
Bike
  • 40m 26s
  • 14 miles
  • 20.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Outstanding ride! Gave it everything I had until the last mile, when I switched into smaller gear and spun more and stretched my legs a little. Only 3 people passed me. Really pushed hard on the rolling hills and hammered it when I could. Felt great. Never saw my speed dip below 17mph. Did this race and same bike course 2 years ago and improved from a 19.4. Never avg'd this high before in a race. Previous best was right at 20mph.

Nothing, awesome ride. Very happy.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Finish was at the top of a hill, so didn't get my feet out of the shoes like I normally do. Really don't think it cost me any time, as the dismount went well and my rack was close so didn't have to run far in the bike shoes.

I am still hoping one day my feet will allow me to run without socks as that takes the majority of my transition time.
Run
  • 24m 28s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

B/c I hammered so hard on the bike, it took me a little longer to get my running pace going. Felt like I was almost walking, but at mile 1 I had done an 8:30 pace. I could feel a side stitch wanting to appear so didn't push as hard as I could. Mile 2 and 3 were at an 8:00 pace. I really wish I could've pushed a little harder but just didn't have anything left. Goal was to break the 8min pace. Came close but no cigar.

Practice more runs after a hard bike workout.
Post race
Warm down:

Cold water and a wet towel. Felt good afterward and did some stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The goal is to always get faster, but in this race I don't think things could've gone any better. I improved 7min from the last time I did this race and really had my best swim and bike ever. Run was probably 2nd best run ever. My goal was to get under 1:21 and would be super happy if I broke 1:20. I smashed those with my 1:18:47! This was my best finish ever and finished in the top 17%.

Event comments:

I absolutely love this race and venue. It has become my favorite race and one I will keep doing every year. It has a small race feel but there are some very fast people that come out for this. It has gotten much more organized since I did it 2 years ago. Great job by all the race organizers and volunteers.

Last updated: 2009-12-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:57 | 547 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 19/39
Overall: 153/479
Performance: Good
Suit: regular tri suit
Course: shaped like a house you would draw as a kid. out from shore, diagonal to the tip, another diagonal, then straight back into shore. I liked that as it made it less crowded at the turnaround.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:26 | 14 miles | 20.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/39
Overall: 59/479
Wind: Little
Course: Large square
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:28 | 03 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/39
Overall: 124/479
Course: One lap around the lake we swam in on perfectly flat crushed granite trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-20 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon

2010-06-21 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2932747

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon
That's such a big improvement!  Glad you had such a good race!
2010-06-22 11:34 PM
in reply to: #2932747

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon
Well done killing your time - 7 minutes off is fantastic. Sounds like you had an awesome day out. Congrats
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Pflugerville Triathlon Rss Feed