City of Pflugerville, Jack and Adams Bicycles
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 15m 15s
Overall Rank = 42/479
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/31
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4AM, got dressed, ate breakfast--deviated from the norm and just had cereal with a banana with the thought of "it's just a sprint" not sure if this bit me in the butt later, but one should ALWAYS live by the "don't do anything new on race day." Had a good potty visit, so I thought I'd be okay. Grabbed my coffee, took care of the dogs, and headed out to Lake Pflugerville. Once there I found a decent bike rack for the way things were planned to be set up (everyone going the same bike in/out routes) but they changed it. Still, I ended up being in a mid point, so it was okay for everything. Started feeling little odd, so got in the porta potty line and had another good potty visit, but also a little disconcerting too...
Event warmup:

I should've warmed up, but wasn't feeling quite right. So I didn't do anything. If I was to do anything, I should've run a bit. Anyhow, spoke with Hilde and Kim and waited for our waves to go. They had a 7 year old sing the National Anthem, and she did a really good job for that young! I was impressed!
Swim
  • 09m 43s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started off in the front, which sometimes is a little bit of a gamble for me as I'm not the speediest swimmer. But as we got going, I broke away from the pack and somehow I was the FOP for this swim--obviously by my swim times--but apparently the big swimmers didn't come out. our wave as 10-34 and seriously, the only people that beat me out were the 2 from my AG and 2 from 20-24. WEIRD. I don't think it was a long course as my swim has been lacking lately (focused on marathon training and too many trips out of town). I felt okay and was sighting quite well for me actually. The last stretch I had a bit of a hard time seeing the buoys so I just shot for the flags, and I think that may have helped me vs. others cause if you actually followed the buoys you would've had to dog leg right from the last buoy to the exit. I didn't cut the course, just went straighter I think. In the last half I started feeling a little bit of discomfort in my stomach. Don't think it really effected the swimming--but didn't bode well.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. Seriously--I've just been lacking it here. I think this is the highest I've ever "placed" in a swim which is quite odd.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

It was quite the long run from the swim exit to the transition area. I think my swim was probably a few seconds sooner as you got to a point where you had to get up in the water cause of the ground, but still had to try to run out of the water and across the mat. Anyhow, ran all the way to transition, found my spot without problem, but fumbled a bit with my shoes and goggles, which is unusual. Finally got it all on and kept going. Was 2/31 in my AG though, so not so bad. I pride myself on fast transitions and this one could've been probably 5-10secs faster. The gal that beat me was the one who took 1st AG and was 3rd overall female, so I'll take it I guess.

Not fumble with the glasses and shoes. I really need to learn how to get my feet into the shoes on the bike.
Bike
  • 40m 24s
  • 14 miles
  • 20.79 mile/hr
Comments:

So, it's been a bit since I've done a sprint tri, and so trying to figure out pacing was a little bit different. I pushed hard, but not as hard on some of the rollers as I should've pushed. I was trying to figure out where my competition was. I passed one lady who was 40 something, and the only explanation for that was that she was in the open wave, and that was it, I think. Besides that, it was passing men the whole time, and then at about mile 13 I finally caught up to the gal that ended up getting 2nd in the AG. I passed her, then she passed me in the last bit, and then we pretty much dismounted at the same time at the bike in area. I feel like I really should've been faster, but it's the rollers that caught me. My lack of outside riding, and in general riding lately with some interval training, meant that I wasn't in the best "go fast" bike shape. I did have fun with this though and hammered the best I could....but one of the hindrances was that the gut issues seemed to be getting worse. WTH? All I had that day was b'fast cereal that is normal to me, coffee that is normal to me, and a GU before the swim (about 15 mins) which is normal. I was only drinking water on the bike, and not too much. Drank a little less than 1 full aero bottle while riding. So, wasn't to thrilled about it--but I could manage it fine on the bike. Fun bike, in general. Roads weren't too bad--a few bumpy spots, but not the big rocky Texas Chipseal I was expecting. Oh, and I really love my race wheels--they make the ride SO MUCH smoother...I can't help but wonder how carbon race wheels AND a nice carbon bike will feel!

Ride more--again--been marathon focused and out of town a lot. So, I haven't had much riding. Need more outdoor riding too, otherwise, it was a fun bike. I think, without tummy troubles and in my more peek shape that this should've been a 21.5mph/22mph ride for me. I'm capable of that I think. There was some wind out there that we caught, head/tail/cross, but it wasn't as bad as I sort of expected it to be out there.
I was 1/31 here--so that makes me happy too.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Now this is the type of Transition I like! Got my feet out of the shoes, got off the bike, ran in, racked it, got my shoes on and just grabbed everything else and headed out on the run. You don't have to put your hat/race belt/Garmin on in transition! Fastest in the AG by 5 secs, and it gave me 10 secs on the gal I ran into transition with that was in my AG.

Nothing, I did this very well.
Run
  • 22m 35s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

So, this is where I should've been able to kick it even more, and I did alright for the first mile, until I was caught by the one gal in my AG group just a bit before mile 1. I tried to stay with her, but I couldn't and what sucks is it was not my legs, it was my dumb gut. I didn't know what was going on and I just hoped I didn't have to stop. The rest of the run was about the same- I so wanted to kick it in hard, but I just couldn't. Didn't need calories or anything, it's just 3 miles. Got hot on one turn when we weren't in the wind, and the last bit was pretty windy, but it wasn't as hot.

Gut issues did me in. Not pacing. Not fluids. Not heat. Not wind. Stupid gut. I should've been able to stay with or overtake or not let the gal that took 2nd catch me in the first place. Ah well. Control what you can control--though I won't eat that cereal for breakfast again.

4/31 in AG.
Post race
Warm down:

I did sprint it in, and thankfully was finally done, but nearly doubled over from the pain I was having. I had to find a curb to sit down and just sit there and try to recover. For at least the next 2 hours it felt like that. I stood up and walked around and it got worse, then better, then worse. Just tried to talk to people and watch friends in...actually had to sit on the grass to do that--not cause my legs hurt--heck, I hardly felt the race but I was just hurting in my belly. Drank some water. Found Hilde after she finished, and we went ahead and grabbed our gear and headed to put it up, back for awards, and then time to go home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training in the swim and bike and bad gut problems, and probably 10-15lbs I don't need.

Overall, for the way I felt, lack of training, etc. I did decently. Definitely have to train more to up my game. Definitely do prefer Olys and higher, but a sprint is fun to do as well. Finished in the FOP and can't complain. Do miss the 25-29 age group though! Would've won that AG by 7 minutes! Haha! But for USAT, I've hit 30...it's going to be a really competitive next 15 years! :) Should make me better!

Event comments:

Very well run race. Timely, well marked course, and good organization. This was one of the best small races I've been to around here. Good venue as well. Would've maybe liked a 5k vs. 3 mile, but that's not really a complaint. I won't be here for future races, but I do recommend it to others.

Last updated: 2010-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:43 | 500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/31
Overall: 62/479
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Somewhat of a triangle course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:24 | 14 miles | 20.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/31
Overall: 31/479
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: A one loop, rectangular course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:35 | 03 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/31
Overall: 74/479
Performance: Below average
Course: Loop around the lake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-20 6:37 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon

2010-06-20 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2932986

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Subject: RE: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon
Congrats on your podium finish.  Tough to bounce back and race a sprint two weeks post-marathon.  Regardless, fast bike and T2.  Sorry to hear about the GI issues.  Sometimes, it just happens.  Way to gut it out.
2010-06-20 10:44 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Another speedy race and some more Texas hardware to pack off to CA.

Well done!
2010-06-21 5:07 AM

User image

Queen BTich
Congrats and I'm sorry about the issues. Quite the unfortunate time to have those. You're still fast, even for "not enough" training
2010-06-21 5:27 AM

User image

On your right
Great job on the podium. 

I'm going to try your style of no swimming=better AG placement for my next event.
2010-06-21 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Congrats girl! Super job overcoming the gut issues (or at least fighting thru them).

Yeah, welcome to the 30's. It's not easy but I have no doubt you'll continue to get those podium spots!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Pflugerville Triathlon Rss Feed