Race Day Events, LLC
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 18m 40s
Overall Rank = 43/61
Age Group = F45-29
Age Group Rank = 7/12
Pre-race routine:

Up and at 'em at 4:30am! Early! I had packed everything the night before so I didn't have to do too much. I put on my race outfit with a cute skirt and Tshirt over it, I made a PB&J sami and loaded up my bike. I was out the door by 4:50. Made it to Verona in 55 min, jaming to Ill Scarlet the whole way. Parked in the same exact spot as last year - money! Unloaded my junk and walked 100 yards to transition. I Registered then got my tranistion area set up. Something crazy happens every race. You know, someting you just don't plan for? This time, I noticed as I was setting up my transition, that one of the water bottles I put in my bag apent the whole 50 minute ride emptying into my right running shoe...it was totally soaked! When I turned over my shoe, water actually poured out...bummer. I made a trip to the Johns, grabbed my wetsuit and headed down to the swim start. I was in the LAST heat (womens 39 and under) which didn't start until 7:39 or something so I just stood around for a while. I ate a hammer gel about 45 min before my start - yuck. Because I was alone I put on my wetsuit a little early and took some quick warmup strokes while the sprint waves were going off. I chatted with a couple of ladies in the water until my wave started then, finally, HORN! I was off!
Event warmup:

A few out and back strokes just to get used to the water
Swim
  • 29m 9s
  • 1640 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started near the front and to the very right of my wave. I could almost touch the dock. It was kinda crowded at first but my the time we rounded to the second bouy it opened up. In training I breath every 3rd stroke, but out there, because I was breathing hard, and my HR was up I was breathing every other stroke. I switched sides every now and them. I think I could have been a bit faster if I could have breathed and stroked like normal...but oh well. I was pleased with my sighting. I took little alligator looks, lifting my head only enough to get my eyes out of the water. Worked well. I wasn't able to do that when it was crowded or when near bouys, but most of the time, it was key. Last year, this was my VERY FIRST TRI ever and I freaked out in the swim. So compared to last year - I'm stoked with how I handled it. Wish it was a little faster though...
What would you do differently?:

Try to keep my breathing and HR under control so I can bilateral breath - I think I'd be faster that way.
Transition 1
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

Took off goggles and cap. Then as I was running up to T1, took off the top half of wetsuit and left my hat and goggles in the sleeve - can't believe I remembered to do that! Instead of just stepping on my suit to get out while puttin on helmet, ect, I bent over to get it off. It seemed fast enough while I was doing it, but I'm sure the transition could've been faster if I would've multi tasked. Once the suit was off, sock and shoes on, then helmet, sun glasses, number and I was off. I ran with my bike with my hand on the seat (first time doing that - I'm sure that I look so cool...!) But I'm sooo slow getting on the bike...Oh, and somewhere along the way, my watch stopped so I started it over once I reaced my bike...

multitask! Learn to get on my bike faster!
Bike
  • 1h 41m 12s
  • 25.5 miles
  • 15.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Freaking Hilly. In training, I have no problem keeping an average cadence of 90ish. On this course it was lower because I spent to much time going super s l o w up the hills, or coasting down the bigger hills. I wish I was faster in the bike...need to train on more hills!! The course was very well marked. There were workers with flags at every turn and police stopping traffic at alot of places. Great! I passed a few and was passed by a few. My second time down Observatory, a truck made a left turn right in front of me so I had to come to a complete stop before the left turn - bummer. My legs were pretty shot at the end. I ate a roll of strawberry shot blocks and drank water and gatorade pretty consistently. Hmmm, what else. OH! met my first BTer in person! Wi Tri Guy! That was fun! Rode with him and chatted for a few miles - that was the only time I rode with anyone. Oh, I spent a few min next to a guy with mini stero speakers and his ipod on his bike - the music was fun! My lower back got really sore throughout - that a new one for me...maybe because of all the hills? Oh, and my computer told me that my fastest speed was 38.3mph - for me, that's fast! Some of those long downhills were fun! Wee!

Practice going up hills faster!!! Dang it, they relly slow me down.
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

So my mother and father in law showed up to cheer me on - how cool of them! But - this resulted in me chatting with them all throughout the transition. I think this A) didn't allow me to get my HR down and B) caused me to go slower. Shoot. Anyway, I racked my bike and took off my helmet. Off with the bike shoes and on with the runnig shoes (left one dry, right one wet!) I still tie them. Then I grabbed my visor and took off, putting it on while running. Also fixed the ponytail while running.

This is not the time for a chat! I'll tell them to stear clear of the transition. Get off my bike faster.
Run
  • 1h 02m 44s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

So I walked briefly through the aid stations - about 50 feet or so. I also walked when my HR got above 175 - this got me to the mailboxes halfway up the big hill. So total on each lap I walked for about 1.5 - 2 minutes I guess. My max HR should be 165 - but I think I was just about there the rest of the run. It went pretty quick. The girls at the second aid station were cheerleaders - that was fun. I got passed by some people who were on further laps than me, but for the most part, I think no one who was on the same loop as me passed me. Dosen't mean I was fast though! Based on my time - I'd say I ran pretty close to 10 minute miles - right where I expected I'd be. So I guess I should be satisified - but I wish it was a little faster. For the first lap and a half, I really felt like I had to go potty and seriously considered stopping at a john. But non were easy to get to so I skipped it, and the urge went away eventually...It took me about a mile to 1.5 miles for my legs to feel OK. I think I would have gotten used to running faster, but there is that big ill at mil 0.5 ish then another one at 1 ish. After I got past that second hill on the first lap I fell into a good rhythm.

Push a little bit harder on the flast and downhills.
Post race
Warm down:

none! Drank a cold water and chatted with the in-laws.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HR, tired legs after the HILLY bike.

Event comments:

Very well run. I think the challenging terrain keeps some people away - it almost kept me away! I didn't register until the Monday before the race! Only about 250-300 people were there for the sprint and oly together. That is a total guess on the numbers - just from observing - don't quote me:) ) The t-shirts were kinda lame this year (last year they were tech tees, this year, just plain Tshirts. Good eats after - I had a coke and a rice krispy treat! yum! Even though it's a tough course, I'll do it again. Can't complain about anything - well run, lots of happy, smiling, helpful volunteers, well done!! And I was 4min 4sec faster then last year - yay!

Last updated: 2010-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:09 | 1640 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 0/61
Performance: Good
Each time I rounded the tree I glansed down at my watch and noticed that my HR was in the 170s! I don't usually wear a HR monitor in the pool but I'm pretty sure that 170s is higher than normal!
Suit: Zoot
Course: Three loops. Deep water start. Out of the water between each loop, over timing mats, around a tree.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:41:12 | 25.5 miles | 15.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/12
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Oh man. Hilly! Out, two loops then back. Super well marked and lost of helpers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 79
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:02:44 | 06.21 miles | 10m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/12
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-20 9:59 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI
Subject: Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon

2010-06-21 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2933267

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon
Great race and report. The course was very tough!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon Rss Feed