General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Those Doing the Pacfic Crest Triathlon Next Week in Sunriver Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-20 10:26 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Subject: To Those Doing the Pacfic Crest Triathlon Next Week in Sunriver
The water is effing cold

I don't mean to scare anybody or anything, but I just want everyone to plan ahead and be prepared for it.  I went for a practice swim today and a local guy said the water temperature was 54 degrees.  I only have a sleeveless wetsuit and was able to complete about a 1000 meter swim.  My face, arms, and legs were completely numb.  After the swim I was slurring my words because my lips were totally numb like when you get Novocain from the dentist. 

That said, I was able to do the 2/3 of the swim with a sleeveless suit and could have kept going if I had to.  The first 7-8 minutes were meserable, but once everything went numb it was a bit better.  I plan to do a short swim 5-10 minutes before the start of the race to get my body used to it. 

Good luck next weekend, it should be fun!

2010-06-21 3:40 PM
in reply to: #2933309

Subject: RE: To Those Doing the Pacfic Crest Triathlon Next Week in Sunriver
I went up to Wickiup and swam last Saturday, June 19, and I agree it was cold enough to make my head hurt.  I have a sleeveless wetsuit and my hands/arms felt OK.  Feet were cold.  Is it legal to wear booties?  I ran into a guy on the boat ramp that said the water temp was 55F and he was expecting it to climb to 62F by next Sunday (not sure what he is basing that on).  Went for a ride for the first 14 miles of the bike course and back to the boat raMP, then ran a bit to see what the cahnge in elevation from 200ft to 4400ft would feel like, not too bad.  I will be gald to get out of the water next Sunday and get a bit warmer.
2010-06-21 8:09 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
I have no idea how its going to hat up 7 degrees in less than a week.  But I sure as hell hope it does.  While the weather is projected to be nicer this week, I'm not sure outside temps hovering around the 70s will warm up the water that much.
2010-06-22 9:54 AM

Yeah, I don't think it will warm up much either, but I will take any increase at all.  I think I will get a small neoprene cap just to keep my head a bit warmer and decrease the novacain like feelings when I am trying to claw my way out of the water and stumble toward the bike.  It might take me 3 minutes to try and figure out how to get my helmet on if my hands feel like two blocks of ice.  Laughing  Good luck next Sunday, at least with the cooler temperatures the bike and run shoud be better than the 100F years.

2010-06-22 5:33 PM
in reply to: #2936351

Veteran
Portland, OR

If you look on the Pac Crest Facebook page it IS legal to wear booties.  I will prob wear a neoprene cap under my swim cap.  Another option posted by Emilio Desoto is a basically a swim cap sandwich.  Put on one swim cap, put the neoprene hood over that then another cap over the top.  Sounds like it works.  I think the neoprene hood with the swim cap over will be fine.  I also know people who will use ear plugs when it gets really cold.

Try searching on "Emilio Desoto swim cap sandwich" 

2010-06-25 12:19 AM

Thanks Blue!

I am definitely bringing two swim caps.  I may pick up a neoprene cap and/or earplugs at the expo at sunriver on Saturday.  I will bring my booties.  I swim much better when I am feeling more comfortable, I imagine we all do.  Would be nice to finish and feel good hitting the bike.  Looks like it may be 80F when we get to the run, hopefully a bit cooler.  Should be fun.  See you all up there.

2010-06-25 12:42 AM

Veteran
Bend, OR
Hey Y'all,

I'm doing long course tri this weekend. Very excited. I have good news for you. The water is not that bad at all. I went up and did a little open water swim on tuesday the 22nd and honestly it wasn't bad. I have a full-sleeve wetsuit, nothing special...no gloves or booties...hands and feet weren't cold after....did wear two caps but won't come race day. Don't worry! It will be nice...like bath water.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Those Doing the Pacfic Crest Triathlon Next Week in Sunriver Rss Feed