General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianapolis, Indiana
United States
Tuxedo Brothers
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 9s
Overall Rank = 106/515
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 20/48
Pre-race routine:

Ate bagel and had two cups of coffee. Stayed at Joe and Nancy's. Thunderstorm during the night and light rain up until about 7 am.
Event warmup:

Swam about 25 yds out and back, just to get a feel for the water.
Swim
  • 12m 49s
  • 579 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a good swim for me. Started in numerical order with 2 second seperation. I was 445 and immediately ran into a lot of traffic. The lake was really nice but the course was tight and no matter where I swam I couldn't find open water to put together more than 10 strokes without having to swim around someone. Had trouble dropping into any type of groove, except at the farthest point when I swam way out around several back and side strokers. Tried at various times to just hang back and draft, but I was unsuccessful.
What would you do differently?:

Need more OWS time. Also need to work on speed intervals: being able to accelerate past people for 10-20 yards and then settle back into a steady rythym.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Had trouble with shoes and sunglasses. I don't know what I was thinking, but I didn't really rush at all. Looking back, I even wished a guy luck as I was casually tieing my shoes.

Put sunglasses on, then helmet. Will have a new bike at the next one, so will use bike shoes and just slip into them.
Bike
  • 30m 48s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Got passed by about 5, but passed a lot of people. Had a blast. My speed was great in the open road, average 21+ at one point, but dropped in the park when the road was wet and congested. Could have pushed harder, but dialed back the effort several times to try and preserve my legs. Also there were a lot of officials on the course, and I was cautious not to get a drafting penalty. Would I even know if I was penalized or would my time just reflect the penalty? A lot of traffic.

Go harder on the bike, especially early. Front tire was flat later that afternoon from a small puncture hole. Inflated the tires that morning, but don't know when I had the pucture. Didn't notice though, so it couldn't have been bad.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Better: I at least remembered that we are being timed. Used number belt which helped.
Run
  • 23m 2s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Passed a lot of people, and at this point thought I was doing really well. Could only tell by peoples' race numbers that I was progressing up through the field: we started in numerical order. Worked my wa well into the 300-200 range and even passed several low double digit numbers Felt relaxed and easy for the most part. In hind sight I was too relaxed and was talking to and encouraging other racers.

Need to push the run. Need to wear a watch. My level of effort was off: thought I was running in the 7:20 range.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim was just plain bad for me (very crowded start), but I should have decided before the race how hard I "really" wanted to go. If it was going to be a fun/learning/training race then don't be too self-critical or dissappointed with the end times.

Things I Learned
Don't mess with sunglasses: put them on in transition before helmet.
New bike without toeclips.
Wear watch.

Positives
Had fun.
Number belt was great.
Nutrition and hydration worked. Used one bottle of Heed that I sipped on a little pre-race and drank some on the bike.
No cramping or stomach issues!

Event comments:

Nice race course for a beginner: flat and shaded. Learned a lot for my wife's Go Girl tri this August. She also volunteered, so got some good experience. Fun event, but a little too crowded for me.

Last updated: 2010-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:49 | 579 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/48
Overall: 199/515
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: The course was a square: out, across, and back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:48 | 10 miles | 19.48 mile/hr
Overall: 122/515
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Shaded but wet through the park. Had one large puddle that was essentially blocking the whole lane. Two back bumps where there was road pavement work.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:02 | 03 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 90/515
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, some sun and shade. Nice run in the park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-21 6:25 AM

User image

Regular
Southern Indiana
Subject: Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series

2010-06-21 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2933426

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Subject: RE: Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series
Nice job! I agree the swim was a little chaotic.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series Rss Feed