United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 02m 52s
Overall Rank = 2/337
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 1:30, ate my typical IM pre-race breakfast as this was a big training day more so than a sprint race day. power bar, bagel, protein drink, apple sauce, banana, back to bed.

woke up at 3:45 to be out the door for a 2 hour pre race ride. Steady zone 2, felt good. Only took me about 1 hour to get to race site, so I did a couple loops of the race course. There is one stretch of road next to some train tracks, and sure enough a train comes by, and I stole a move from Bob Stocks (read his 2008 YMCA report), and gave the conductor a "blow the horn" signal. WOOOO, WOOOO, WOOOO, WOOOOO!!!!!!! Nice!! That was cool at 6:00 AM....I'm sure the neighbors loved it!

got to race site, and I placed a high priority on recovering from the ride, even though I felt fine. Drank some orange juice with some protien powder, got on my Zoot tights, and tried to fall asleep with feet up in the car.

Went to register, and the lady put what I thought was "ID" on my right arm and leg. I thought, "whatever."

Than I got my bib and realized it was not an "I" but a 1. How did I get the #1 bib? Something I never planned on or hoped for, but it was pretty cool. It didn't take long for the reality to set in...now I had to win.

Couple guys busted my chops pretty good...funny.
Event warmup:

swam 5-10 minutes.
Swim
  • 11m 15s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was good, but very agressive until 400 yards out. One dude simply would not stop grabbing my feet...literally grabing them.

Swim felt sluggish, as all my swims have lately. Fatiued I guess...I hope this works itself out over the next few weeks.

Came out 7-8 or so.
What would you do differently?:

not too much.
Transition 1
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

standard T1, in and out.....
Bike
  • 30m 35s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 24.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I just hammered away here, trying to catch those who beat me out of the water. finish sheet shows me as 4th out of the water, but I was 7-8, passed 2 in transition and started the bike in 4th place.

I was flying pretty good, probably one of my best bikes, which is odd, because I was not rested at all for this race.

10 minutes in I was averaging 354 watts, and I was like, wow...don't slow down now. Finally I saw two bikers ahead, and took them out one after the other, and the 2nd guy I passed caught right back up with me and said, "Go dude, 1st is just ahead....go get him..." Than he backed off....I said, "thanks!" nice of him to do I thought.

I went strong, I knew the guy in first was a solid swim/biker, and I knew I could out run him; something I'm not used to.

I just could not get to him.

Turns out he beat me by 1:10 on the bike alone! That is smoking fast....I was moving pretty good, and I wasn't even close!!

I averaged 318 watts...solid effort.

not much, I pushed it pretty hard.
Transition 2
  • 00m 29s
Comments:

standard T2...
Run
  • 19m 52s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I was told I was 1 minute down, and thought I had a shot....truth was it was closer to 2 minutes.

At 1 minute with 3 miles, I thought I would catch a glimpse of him and get some motivation to push. Problem is, this is a trail run, and you can never see more than 10-30 yards in front or behind you at any time. No one could tell me where I was, but I pushed hard...like I wanted it. My gut cramped up (side stictch) less than a mile in, and started to fear losing second place, as I knew there were 1-2 stronger runners behind me. I just kept trying to push and not slow down.

With .25 mile to go, I knew 1st was out, but 2nd all but secured, and just cruised in to the finish.

Not much....1st was 2 minutes ahead, no way I could make that up over 3 miles. 3rd was over 2 minutes back, so really I could have jogged this if I wanted....nothing would have gotten me first....only thing I would do differently is run slower!
Post race
Warm down:

Talk to 1st place OA, who is quite simply a solid swimmer and biker. Waited for others to finish, and relaxed a bit.

Got a cool silver platter for 2 OA.

Changed out of race gear, than rode home to finish my "training day."

What limited your ability to perform faster:

42 mile ride to the race. other than that, not much.

Event comments:

A greay day, and I was very pleased I stayed true to the intent of the day. I kept my training rides at a strong effort, didn't back off knowing I had to race.

Kept the purpose of the day at the forefront, even though I knew I had a very good chance to win this race.

Yes, it's a small, local YMCA triathlon. Truth is, though, even through the field as a whole is not the strongest, the top end has some good atheltes, KQers and guys who are fast.

Last updated: 2010-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:15 | 875 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 4/337
Performance: Average
Suit: BS Helix
Course: short by 100-200 yards, triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:42
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:35 | 12.43 miles | 24.39 mile/hr
Overall: 3/337
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: First part is fast fast fast, than you hit two hills going back into the park, one is a pretty nice grind, finish is super fast.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 94
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:52 | 03.11 miles | 06m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 3/337
Trail run, couple hills, shaded, around 2 lakes
Course: just short of 5k...years past this was 2.8 miles, they fixed it, but it is around 3.05 or so now...c'mon guys, another .05 miles!!....:)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-21 10:08 AM

User image

Master
syracuse
Subject: 31st Annual YMCA Triathlon

2010-06-21 6:33 PM
in reply to: #2933940

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: 31st Annual YMCA Triathlon

Nice race cuse!! Congrats on the finish!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 31st Annual YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed