Firm Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 29s
Overall Rank = 156/269
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/19
Pre-race routine:

I gathered all of my equipment the night before so it could be easily packed in the morning. The race was being held only 20 minutes from my house - so I slept in a bit until 5:15AM. Took a quick shower, got dressed, had a bowl of oatmeal and a couple of sips of coffee. Loaded everything up and headed on out. Once I got registered and body marked - I was number 100 - nice number, I set up my transition area. I had heard that the lake was a ways away from the transition zone - so I went to check that out.
Event warmup:

I took a run down to the lake - which is a bout a third of a mile from the transition zone and back again to loosen up. I did some stretching at transition and then headed down to the lake with my wetsuit, goggles, and cap to start my swim warm up. I did some light barefoot jogging on the way down to see how it would feel - I didn't bring any sandals/flipflops/sneakers for the run back to transition. On my way down I picked up rocks and debris on the road that I thought could cause some issues for myself and others and tossed them away.
Swim
  • 10m 2s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swimming is my strongpoint, but this was my first OWS tri start (Lions Sprint was a pool swim) so I was a little nervous. I made sure to get in the front, as I knew I was going to be a FOP swimmer and didn't want to have to spend too much time swimming around people. I went in the first wave - which consisted of all males under 39 years of age...so there were quite a few of us out there. After the start, I was able to tuck in between two other swimmers and turn on the afterburners to get some seperation. Someone swam into my left side, but I was able to shrug that off. After about 75 yards or so, I had plenty of seperation. There was a small pack of perhaps 5 swimmers ahead of me. I rounded the first buoy (maybe 200 yards) and settled into a nice groove. I need to work on sighting a bit as I had to make a couple of minor course corrections along the way. As I approached the final buoy, I tried to cut it as close to the buoy as possible, but I underestimated the size of it and clipped it with my shoulder. Slowed me a little - but nothing that big. Pulled into shore and began running when I could no longer pull.
What would you do differently?:

The course corrections cost a little time - definitely taking a more direct line to the buoy would help. Also - crashing into the buoy is no fun :)
Transition 1
  • 04m 20s
Comments:

This transition is a long one. It's a 1/3 mile run back to transition. I got my wetsuit sleeves off with no issues on the run back. I wasn't going to sprint though- as I didn't have sandals or shoes. Wasn't going to risk cutting my foot on the gravel on the road. Once I got to the transition zone - the wetsuit came off with ease. Got my helmet on (the correct way this time!) and off I went.

When I do this race again next year - I'll make sure to have some footwear available to use so that I can run full out.
Bike
  • 41m 58s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.16 mile/hr
Comments:

It took me a while to get my legs going - not enough time to get them feeling good for the hill at mile 4. This hill hit everyone hard though as pace slowed for everyone. I was passed several times during the race. The downhills were really nice though - I caught speeds up to 37 mph! Felt good! And scary! I took a sharp right turn too wide - and had several cyclists pass me on the inside...I couldn't get back over without cutting them off, had to wait until they passed. I was hoping that I wouldn't be caught for drafting...but I think it lasted less than 15 seconds. I ended up passing two guys that past me early on - as around mile 8-9 my legs really started feeling good. Gearing was nice - I was going into hills hard and using the momentum to help me get up them while switching to easier gearing. Rode into the transition area, dismounted and ran my bike in for racking. I drank a whole aerobottle of HEED on this ride - but I ran out in mile 8 or so...I was thirsty by the end of the ride.

I think I'd do some light warmups on the bike instead of running. It took me a while to get my legs spinning effectively. Also - knowing the course ahead of time helps. I could had several oppurtunities to go and practice this course - but things always came up. I need to make sure I go and train on the course so that I can get an idea of what is coming up next and what to anticipate. Practicing gear changes ahead of time would definitely have helped me on some of the hills that were on the course. I do know a great place to practice hill intervals now though! Also I think pacing my hydration would help a bit more - I was thirsty at the end of the ride - but had nothing left in my aero bottle.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

I actually thought I was going a lot slower than this! I was tired so was moving deliberately.

I am thinking of going sockless...not because of saving time in transition...but because of how hot my feet get. But going sockless would also shave a few seconds off. This time I opted to put my visor and race number on before I started running - no reason, other than to catch a little breather! But in the future I know I can grab these and run with them to put them on to save some time.
Run
  • 28m 35s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Did I mention I hate running? I was hoping for better results than the Lions Sprint Tri...but my legs felt like concrete the whole time. I was really down on myself during this run, as I was continually being passed by people left and right. I kept trying to tell myself to HTFU...but as the sun came out and it got hotter, exhaustion finally got to me. I brought a water bottle with me - but the water was not providing any relief. I had to stop twice on the run back, for about 30 seconds each time to get my legs loosened up. I was met with encouragement from runners coming and going who were cheering for me to keep going - and that I was almost there. That felt really good - and really helped spur me on. I finished strong(er) and was glad to cross the finish line.

I just need to keep running. This is my weakest spot. I need to mix my running up too - work in some sprinting so that I know what it feels like to go faster than a 10 minute mile. Since the Lions Sprint Tri in mid-May I've racheted up my training runs to 4-4.5 miles, so I was hoping for better results in the run. I definitely did not expect to have to lay up and walk a bit, as I didnt do this during the Lions Sprint. I also need to work in more race pace bricks to get my legs used to the concrete feeling!
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around the race area a bit to let my legs cool down. I hit the refreshment stand HARD. I think that the watermelon I had was probably the greatest tasting watermelon slice I have ever had. No lie. I chowed on some fruit and some granola bars, and walked around looking at the different vendors and talking with some other triathletes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It all comes down to training...in the end. I have no issues with my swimming...as a former college swimmer, the fact that I am avging 1:20/100 yards swims has me down as I was a sub 50 100 yard freestyler. But for triathlons - it's fine and puts me in the front of the pack. I am totally new to cycling, so I can't get down on myself as I know as I get more experience with riding and with my bike, and as I continue to lose weight my engine will get faster. The running really has me down. On training runs I feel great. I was hoping for a lot more out of this one...but I was passed by so many people, so often. I just had nothing left in the tank. Stopping and walking a bit was such a disappointment as I felt like I was regressing...as it makes me wonder - what would my time have been if I hadn't stopped? But I also have to realize that the swim was almost 4 times the swim at the Lions sprint, and the bike was an additional 3 miles compared to the Lions Sprint - so there may be other reasons my legs were dead for the run.I've got about 2 months to continue training and rachet up the mileage so that I can be ready for the Oly I have at the end of August. Really want to concentrate on cycling and running and get some nice race pace bricks in there.

Event comments:

I've only done two Tri's thus far - both by FIRM racing. This one was MUCH better than the Lions Sprint. Great tech shirts for swag. Food was great. Transitions zone was well organized, lots of volunteers and spectators. Overall a great experience. And again - that watermelon was the greatest thing I have ever eaten.

Last updated: 2010-02-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:02 | 880 yards | 01m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/19
Overall: 16/269
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex3
Course: Triangular course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:20
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:58 | 12 miles | 17.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/19
Overall: 167/269
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills out into Webster and then into Connecticut, then back into Webster. There is a GIANT hill at about the 4 mile mark that seems to keep going and going...
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:35 | 03 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/19
Overall: 224/269
Performance: Bad
Course: Out of the transition area and into a nice little lake community/sub division and back again. Got a little congested at the turnaround as incoming and outgoing runners weren't sticking to oneside of the road.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-21 12:19 PM

Subject: Webster Lake Triathlon

2010-06-21 2:47 PM
in reply to: #2934466

User image

Dracut
Subject: RE: Webster Lake Triathlon
Great job and great report.  It is always more entertaining to read a report from someone who didn't smoke the rest of the field, but had a few struggles, but managed to still do their best.  Hope to bump into you at a race some day.
2010-06-23 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2934466

User image

Veteran
Charlestown
Subject: RE: Webster Lake Triathlon
Congrats!  I was in your shoes last season and trust me - both the bike and run comes with time.  Getting passed by people usually doesn't stop as there are always faster people than you - especially if you start in the first wave - but you have to concentrate on running your race (as hard as that is to do at first).  Whether you realize it or not, you're in a great place for your 2nd tri...keep up the great work. 

Be careful adding in speed work to your run training if you don't have a solid base to work off of.  Speed work is great but you can get hurt if you don't have the foundation for it.  As you build volume, your pace will increase as a 3 mile run will feel very short to you.  Train smart and have an awesome rest of the season! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Webster Lake Triathlon Rss Feed