General Discussion Race Reports! » Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sherwood, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m 45s
Overall Rank = 41/523
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 3:50, shower, eat, double check list, depart at 4:30am. Got a little lost but made it to race by 5:30. Picked up race packet and chip. Loaded and dressed by 6am and off to start corral. Very nervous. Looked at Lake and lots of waves, very windy.
Event warmup:

Did not warm up properly. Did some stretching and checked water temp. I was in wave 23 of 24 and would have a 45 minute wait.
Swim
  • 06m 53s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a real gauge of my swimming ability, but made it through the swim portion with high waves and a long wait. The peelers at the end helped speed transition. Good practice for the 70.3 in 4 weeks.
What would you do differently?:

Proper warm up and go for swim at race start. I will wear my HR monitor next time. Otherwise, I was well prepared and did not forget anything.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Large High Cliff hill I had heard so much about hits immediately so no real chance to transition smoothly. Passed many riders going up hill. Only 2 bikers passed me and both on the hill. They were in the 70.3 competiton with disc wheels on the back. I felt strong up hill. Transition is what I expected. Maybe a little more practice could have shaved a few seconds but overall good.

More practice
Bike
  • 1h 02m 11s
  • 22 miles
  • 21.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride. My Garmin was messed up and only showed high speed. Bike computer is on the fritz. Will get a new one. Never really knew my average or current speed. Just hammered and kept picking people off. Many slow riders in the end waves. Felt better than I have on the bike this year.

Make sure my instruments are working better. I think I can move my seat up about an inch. I need to get fitted on my bike. Very happy that I could stay in tuck for most of ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Could have put shoes on faster. Otherwise this was a good transition. Fast.

Practice.
Run
  • 21m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

OK. More speed and brick time.

More practice. Still learning this stuff.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some gator-ade and grabbed a cup of yougurt, fruit and cereal and headed for exit. emma played at 10am and wanted to get back to GB by half time. I made it too. Stopped for something to drink on the way home and had a protein shake.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly just practice and training. Still sort of figuring this out and how to push myself.

Event comments:

Great race. This is what I expected. Definitely recommend this race to others. Great way to start a weekend. Weather and race were perfect.

Last updated: 2010-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:53 | 440 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/38
Overall: 133/523
Performance: Average
Did not wear HR monitor, but at half way point, was pumping pretty hard.
Suit: Zoot
Course: Out and back. Mostly shallow. Ran the first 150 yards or so, then swam about 100 yards and ran back in. New wet suit. Comfortable, but never got a real chance to feel how it felt swimming.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:02:11 | 22 miles | 21.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/38
Overall: 59/523
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Out of transition, then large hill and 22 mile loop. Westerly winds. Able to stay in tuck for about 75% of ride. I was happy with this. Only 1 rider passed me at mile 9, but I got him at mile 12. I will tell you about him later. Strong ride. I pushed it the whole way. Wanted to hit 1 hour. Just missed, but good ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:01 | 03.11 miles | 06m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/38
Overall: 15/523
Course: Up hill, trail run and down hill to finish. Remember that guy I passed on bike. He came screaming by me at mile 1. Tried to catch his heel. That lasted for about 2 seconds when I realized he was doing at least a 6m mile. Sure enough, avg. 5.41. After that no one passed me. I was feeling OK, but thought I should be around 6.3. Ended up at 6.46. Need to work in more speed work these next 3 weeks with a few bricks.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-21 12:50 PM

User image

New user

Green Bay
Subject: Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2010-06-21 5:57 PM
in reply to: #2934559

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance
WOW, great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed