Enumclaw, Washington
United States
AA Sports
Total Time = 2h 13m 19s
Overall Rank = 19/36
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Well pre race today started at home Both me and my wife were doing the races today. I was doing the Oly tri and she was doing the Oly Du. We woke up and looked out our window and all we saw was rain. We knew the day was going to be a challenge. Neither of us has ridden our bikes in the rain so we were a bit skeptical on our ability to do the race. However we got ready and went to the race.
Event warmup:

Warm up was just trying to park and get to the packet pick up and get our spots in the transition area. After listening to the RD talk and tell us how cold the water was and that the swim had changed, I had to start to rethink my swim. This was a measuring stick in my swim ability and was going to give me some knowledge on my ability. However they shortened the swim in half and told us the water was very cold. I went to check the water to see just how it felt to me and yes it was cold.
I had to take some days off this week due to being ill. I was still not well. Ears, throat and all around head were not doing well. I talked things over with my wife and decided due to being ill I should just do the DU and not get in the cold water. I was real bummed out but I also did not want to become even more sick.
The nice people at the race table changed me over real easily and I got remarked and moved my bike. Me and my wife then walked down to cheer on the swimmers as they started. We then grabbed our bikes and off to the start for us.

Swim
  • 00m
  • 1640 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

did not swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

no T1
Bike
  • 1h 17m 58s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was ok. After my leg surgeries the last couple years this was a good test for me. I found out I rely on my left leg a lot and that tires my left knee a lot. I will work on that a bit. The ride was a nice out and back with a small out and back located in the out portion. The shoulder of the road was nice and wide, hills were good grade and length, courses was marked well and lots of help on the race to tell you where to go. I was not a fan of the rain but comes with living in Washington. Did build my confidence of racing in the rain and wet, something I was scared about before this race. I had a hard time breathing due to being sick and my body was not happy with me. I was sweating bad even know it was cold out, so I think I made a good choice of not swimming.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Work on power in both legs and not be sick.
Transition 2
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

I tried to get my shoes on and off but just took my time. I felt as if I was going to be ill, and just needed a min to get going. Took longer than i wanted but I was not to worried about it.

Just untie my running shoes before the race so they are ready for me. I was to cold to slip into them this time. Live and learn. Other than that just hurry.
Run
  • 52m 12s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

My run was real bad. I could not breathe to save my life, and I think that caused side aches. I was hurting bad. I kept going and could feel my back cramping and my running getting slower. I hit the water station and filled up a bit but it did not help.
Due to my my leggs and the surgeries I have had on them the trail run was not the best for me. A bit to uneaven and the down hill in the dirt was hard, but did it. All and all not bad. just did not feel well.

Not be sick is all I guess.
Post race
Warm down:

waited for my wife to finish her race and then wait for the awards. My wife was shafted on her award, she was in the womens top 10 and 2nd in her age, but they did not call her name. She was bummed out when we looked at home to see she should have got an award. She has never got one or been close so she realy wanted one for her moral. I will email and see how I can get one for her:)

Last updated: 2010-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1640 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/36
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: