Cutting Edge Events
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 24m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Rode down Saturday with Pat - met up with the Kinsey family and drove the bike course with Bob, Chris and Pat. Swam about 400 yards in the lake with Pat and Chris, then went and grabbed a pre-race meal at Joe's Pasta in downtown Effingham. Got bottles, gels, etc ready to go - last chk of bike and gear and bed at 8:30.
Event warmup:

Up at 4 a.m. - oatmeal and banana from breakfast, fresh from wal-mart the night before. Got to race site a little before 5 a.m. - had to run the defrost on the jeep to keep moisture off the window (humidity) - a sign of things to come today!
Swim
  • 47m 30s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

I haven't put ranks up yet, because I don't believe full race results a up..........who knows, but there are a lot of folks missing on the list - lol. Maybe they still out there? Swim was good tho - really enjoyed it and I'm comfortable that I am not the fastest or even close to the front on swims. I am starting to enjoy just plugging along in the water and not expelling a ton of energy that I will need on the bike and run. I would consider myself an average swimmer, and can hold my own in the mix at the beginning, although, I didn't get touched today...........I went a little wide - oh well. I was ok with the swim knowing it was not wetsuit legal. 47 minutes with a long run to transition and no suit against a goal 45. I'll take it.
What would you do differently?:

Not much really - maybe not so wide next time - take a better line. Other than that, I felt my form was decent throughout...........I concentrated on this to keep my mind healthy.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Solid T1 for me against a goal of 2 minutes. This included putting a tri top on.

Solid........prolly would have shaved another 20 secs without putting on the tri top - but still under goal and I am more comfortable in the water without it.
Bike
  • 2h 47m 2s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought the bike went well......for the most part. When we drove the course, we thought this would definately be a course for a PR - even with the hills and challenges. Felt that coming back should be better than out.......well that was reversed in a hurry! lol I saw Pat as I was making the turn for the switchback and then race to catch him was on! Little did I know it would take me til mile 40 - haha. But I got him - lol I was avg. 21.3 for the ride at the turnaround. My goal was 20.5, so I was in good shape just knowing the ride back would be a cakewalk - whatever. Bob and family and Nick were out on the course following us, ringing bells............it was AWESOME! Looking at some of the flags on homes throughout the ride, it looked as though we may have a tailwind on the way home - apparently, the wind had other options. About 10 miles into the ride on the way back, I noticed my avg. mph was continuing to drop. 21.0 -> 20.9, .8, .7.........ruh row - wth is going on? I passed a boatload of people on the ride and didn't get passed (well, a couple times, but will hit on that next). No one was catching me on the way back, and I knew I was going slower - thought maybe I lost air pressure - I mean, I felt great. Was hitting my nutrition spot on the whole time......just kept getting slower and slower. Seemed like a headwind and the temps were just continuing to rise. A long 3-4 mile flat stretch on the way back was doing people in - HOT HOT HOT and HUMID HUMID HUMID with a headwind - brutal. But I kept hammering away feeling no ill effects from temps physically (at least I thought). Ok - now for the joker who passed me. I caught Pat at mile 40, then bout a 1/2 mile later got my next IRON tat for the day (hehe). Except this joker decides to take me back right after than - WTF dude! I just tracked your ass down, now you want to take it back................NOT ON MY ROADS PUNKY! Pat said he had a front row seat and couldn't believe it - he said the dude got right on my wheel then goes back around. Well - that only happened once..........I left him after that - not today bo! Well............that was the last bit of fun we were going to have today....

idk - felt my nutrition was spot on - not changing that now. 3 scoops of Infinit in each bottle - 1 bottle every hour on the nose. Ice water at the turnaround and one more at the halfway on the way back. I did feel a slight sloshy when I started the run - but I think any less, it might have been worse. Not sure I could have pushed through anymore on the way back - I wish I could say it was all headwind, but idk. And the fact that nobody caught me during the ride tells me it wasn't me - but the same for everyone?
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Another decent transition considering I put on socks and lubed feet for the run. Pat came in about a minute after me and we chatted for a few secs before I took off on the run. He gave me some words of encouragement for a nice ride - I thanked him and off I went. Bob yelled 2:46 - almost identical bike to Chris..............I thought he was off his rocker!

prolly nothing - went smooth
Run
  • 2h 45m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Leaving transition, Monica said something about Chris up ahead. I don't like to do math and 2 + 2 with Bob and Monica were not adding up. I took off with my fuel belt on and 20 yds into the run I decided to shed it - it was like running with a bowling ball strapped on. I tossed it to Nick - lucky for the loop, and on my way I was. I was off the bike in 3:38 minutes. A 2:20 half and I get my sub 6 - but I knew in my gut is wasn't going to happen - hell, I knew halfway on the bike the run was going to be brutal! I decided to live without the belt and live off the course - it better be as advertised I thought. The first aid station, I took some salt, hit a gel, a shot of gatorade and was gone. Carlton (guy we swim with) caught me here...........again, math wasn't adding up? Found out later he had a rough swim and I had the decent bike split. As we approached the second aid station, I saw Chris...........2 +2 just made 4. I have to be honest here - this was just not right..........the least bit. Chris and I chatted for a few and I walked with him. He didn't want me to wait on him..........even tho I told him I wasn't in the greatest shape, but I knew he was struggling - I could see it on his face. I wished him luck and went on my way - it was just a run/walk day for EVERYONE..........some more run than walk, but it was run/walk regardless. I saw Chris one more time after the turnaround to head back to the lake........then saw Pat who asked where he was. I told him back at the turnaround, and he then looked concerned. I told him he still movin tho - hang in there! I got back to the lake and started hearing the bells...............you could tell Chris's family was worried about him..........I said they still moving out there, but I have to be honest here again when I say I felt a tremendous amount of guilt not stayin with them. Maybe I will never qualify for Kona with the attitude, but it's the one I have. Chris and Pat have been my mentors, and to see them struggling hurt me. I kept telling myself they would not want me to wait on them and to keep goin, so that is what I did - kept blocking it out. I saw them walkin in the first loop as I was headed back out - they were chatting it up pretty good, so I felt a little relief. I didn't see either again until I met Pat who was heading out to the turnaround. I asked if Chris bagged it, he said nope...........he just gonna walk it in. I thought to myself at first - he should have bagged it, but then thought.............atta baby! No Vs today - we finishin this beeotch! As I turned to head back for home, I saw Chris - I told him this was his idea - all his! haha We got a nice laugh as we chatted for a sec, and off I went. I saw Bob and Megan going out to meet Chris and I told them he was still moving to ease their mind..........but again, some guilt set in as I looked at Megan.......man, I am so glad my wife and kids didn't come today - they do not handle my pain and suffering as well as I do. I was really doing math at this point - my original goal was 5:39, but obviously the mindset changed after the bike. Now I just wanted to PR and beat my Mattoon time of 6:29. I pushed the last mile and finished in 6:24.......and new PR in some of the toughest conditions I think I will ever race in...........really, a driving rain/sleet or snowstorm would have been better.

Not sure what I could have done diff. on this run. Part of me says, walked with Chris - the other says, I should have pushed a little more during my 'run' times and a little brisker walk when I did. idk. I hit every aid station, something I wanted to do. Oranges at every other, salt on the same pattern, and kept filling my ice water bottle at each one. Also a shot of gatorade at each. I worked my plan to a T, and I am most proud of that...........more so than finishing or my time. No gastro, physical, or mental issues today (other than the guilt) - no cramping - slight quad twitch off the bike.........but I was waiting for that one - lol.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to the Kinsey family letting them know how everyone was doing. Waited for Pat, then Chris to finish. Hung out with Chris for a few to make sure he was ok.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Do we need to talk about the conditions anymore. Ok - tar on the road was boiling, rubber on my Nike's was melting.................more?

Event comments:

I'll tell you what - the volunteers were absolutely AMAZING! They hooked us up today - they knew people were struggling and did everything in their power to make the day better for us. I thanked each and every one of them out there - GREAT job!

Last updated: 2009-09-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:30 | 2112 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Shorts
Course: Triangle - clockwise, 2 loops. Exit water and run through bouys on the beach after loop 1.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:47:02 | 56 miles | 20.12 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back, with a 1/2 mile switchback at the beginning. Mostly flat, with a few sections with some challenging inclines and decents..........a few rough spots of road........ya, throw in some false flats too. lol
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:45:52 | 13.1 miles | 12m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loop L - out and back. Some blacktop, gravel and a lot of melting feet!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %TON!
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-06-21 6:28 PM

User image

Subject: Cutting Edge Half Classic

2010-06-21 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2935431

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Subject: RE: Cutting Edge Half Classic
Throw that guilt away.  If we were on a training run out in the country or something, maybe, lol, but not on race day.  I was very happy and inspired to see you going and doing well.  It also let me know that our training is ok.  If we had all 3 done as badly as me, then I may have questioned our training instead of just my mistakes.

GREAT JOB!!!  You have a lot to be proud of and are well on your way to success at IMWI. 
2010-06-21 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2935431

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Cutting Edge Half Classic
Nice race in really tough conditions.  Great RR too!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cutting Edge Half Classic Rss Feed