Assateague
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 51m 38s
Overall Rank = 385/489
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 22/28
Pre-race routine:

Registration was via online. Packet pick-up for me was excellent. Did it on Friday and the place was very organized and staff were friendly. There was a last minute packet pick-up was done on race day starting at about 5:00am. I think it went rather well/
Event warmup:

Did not do much. Just a few stretches, warmed up my mouth by chatting a lot with fellow racers and walked 1/2 mile to the swim start area.
Swim
  • 24m 59s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

We were divided into 6 waves each spaced out strategically that I did not see any major "washing machine" type starts that you see in most triathlons. For the most part, people were just approaching their entry into the ocean at moderate adrenalin driven fashion.

I was in the 5th wave. We were given the 1 minute warning to get ready. I took a deep breath, made the sign of the cross and all I remember doing next was starting my stop watch and saying to myself..."Bring It"! The sound went off and I made sure I was at the back of the pack. I walked/semi ran into the ocean and was confident I would at least make the 1st buoy as there were no waves at all. I got to my first one and applied my plan to conquer this section of the race. The plan was to swim to each buoy in two segments. First doing freestyle and the second doing combat side stroke. That I did pretty much from one buoy to another. The other plan was to stick with my speed and not get carried away by faster swimmers. The buoys were hard to sight as the weather was overcast and there was some very minor fog that obscured our vision. I am also near sighted and my swim goggles are not prescription ones. The good part about the overcast was that we did not have to worry about the sun glare. After reaching the 2nd buoy, I noticed the 3rd one was further toward my right. I had to navigate toward it which probably took a good 3 minutes of my time. They had set them up but the 2nd one was not lined with the 1st, 3rd and 4th ones. The 6th wave group started to overtake me even before I reached the 3rd buoy, at which point one of them, a female, overtook me and I followed and drafted so close I could almost touch her feet, and then she took off like a rocket. When I reached the 4th buoy, I gave it all I had and swam as fast as I could back to shore. Got out of the water, ran to my wife, gave her a kiss, patted my son on the head and ran toward T1.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing! The swim segment was the very reason I wanted to be a triathlete. This was the demon I had to face. I started training 7-8 months ago and did not know how to freestyle at all. I have always had the fear of deep water and drowning. The methodical approached I took in training for this by watching other people swim and applying what I learned from watching Total Immersion DVDs coupled with the advices and suggestions given to me by mostly the great Maryland BT group folks was more than enough ammo to prepare me for this segment of the race. So as far as my swim ability was concerned when I first started this, my overall swim was good!
Transition 1
  • 03m 49s
Comments:

Considering this was my first time. This was all a learning experience. Although I do think I could have done it faster. Part of T1 taking almost 4 minutes was me taking my time and making sure I had everything I needed for the ride. Quite frankly, I did take my time a bit much and had problems getting my shirt on while my body was wet. Don't know why, but the shirt was not cooperating with me.

I probably should have practiced transitioning at least twice before race day as I could have done this probably in under 2 minutes.
Bike
  • 44m 54s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.71 mile/hr
Comments:

This segment felt very comfortable. I did not have a speedometer but knew that I was within my comfort speed of about 18-20 MPH on flat surface. I felt good starting to overtake individuals who obviously had beaten me in the swim segment. Overtaking does help psychologically. These field marshals were awesome and traffic was literally stopped when we were around. I stopped myself from trying to go faster as I wanted to save my leg strength for the run. I still feel though that I could have kicked it up a notch as the speed and overall feel was comfortable with hardly any lactic acid build up on my legs.

I would have cranked it up a notch. After all, even if it was my first time and all I wanted was to finish, this was still a race and I should have given a bit more challenge to myself.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

I do not wear cycling shoes so I did not have to ride with feet on top of shoes toward T2. I did not jump off the bike as I have not perfected this as of yet and did not want to risk falling down. I went to a full stop, dismounted and attempted to run toward T2 but realized all of a sudden that it felt weird. My legs felt weird and so I just walked. I could not believe this as I had no issues riding the bike so why did my legs feel weird when I attempted to run back to the bike rack? Oh well...I got there, racked the bike up and debated whether to switch my shoes to my running ones. I use my trail shoes for my bike since they feel great and I've trained with them. I then usually switch to my running shoes for the run. I do know what prompted me to go back and forth deciding whether to wear my running shoes or just run using my trail shoes. That was stupid to even think about cause I always run with my running shoes specially when training for this event. So after a few seconds of debating this in my head, I decided I was going to wear my running shoes. I put on my socks and the shoes and headed out for my run.

Probably practice T2 a bit before a race and maybe next time practice riding my bike with my running shoes so that I do not need some down time to put them on at T2.
Run
  • 36m 2s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 11m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

This run felt great! When I first started 7-8 months ago, my running time was 14:30 per mile. By about two weeks ago, my fastest time was approximately 10:30 per mile. My average was always about 11:30 per mile so this run felt great and again. The course was great flat and fast with campers cheering us on and some words of encouragements written on the ground. The water station was superb with lots of "cold" water. I walked when I drunk water and poured a lot of it on my bandana which kept me cool. It also started drizzling which was really great as it cooled us down at the race segment we needed it the most. My stride felt good and again, I was more comfortable than challenged. Cross the finish line as planned...with a smile on my face!

Same as the bike. I could have challenged myself a little more.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged my wife and son and ate alot fo the free food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My fear of overdoing the swim and panic, going to fast on the bike and crashing or running out of stamina on the run because of trying to go at my highest zone rate and not finishing my first tri. I did not want to DNF my very first tri and since I told myself I just wanted to finish, I did not have that overall warrior mentality that I usually do when I compete. The competition for me was to finish and finish within my comfort zone. Triahtlon is one tricky sport. I've seen individuals drop out a few miles before the finish line because of overdoing it, cramps, fainting from the heat etc...and I did not want to experience that at all.

Event comments:

This is one good race especially for beginners like me. If there was one flaw I saw it was the lack of lifeguards. There ought to be more out there. I think I spotted 3 on surf boards. There may have been more on shore. Anyway, I would recommend this to anyone who would like to experience a sprint triathlon with the swim segment in the ocean. It was very well organized and the individuals that ran it were friendly. Just finishing my first triathlon with my wife and 8 year old son was the best father's day ever! These two supported me all the way! They are the best part of this whole thing!!!

I'd specially like to thank Steve "scamp72377" fellow BT member who was there to cheer us on and even took all of these great photos I am sharing here. Steve and I have not met but his presence there as a co-BT member was great! Thanks for the pictures Steve and hope I meet you soon!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:59 | 875 yards | 02m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 448/489
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR Full Wetsuit
Course: About 25-50 meters out first buoy, about 900 meters from north to south with the direction of the current, distance separated by 4 buoys. I still say it was probably more than 1/2 miles but not by much.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:49
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:54 | 14 miles | 18.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 405/489
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: This was a 14 mile course headed out of the parking lot where T1 and T2 were located, crossing a moderately elevated bridge out onto a flat course in Decatur Highway, into a beautiful neighborhood, back to Decatur Highway, over the same bridge again and into the parking lot again. There was a headwind out and back but it was moderately acceptable and no gust.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:02 | 03.2 miles | 11m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/28
Overall: 251/489
Performance: Good
Course: Flat paved course into a camping area and back to the parking lot "Finish Line"
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-22 7:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Assateague Assault Triathlon

2010-06-22 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2935972

User image

W. Bridgewater, MA
Subject: RE: Assateague Assault Triathlon
What a great race report Chris!  You did a great job on your first Triathlon.  It's awesome how you overcame your fear of swimming!  Just a great all around job buddy!!!  Your officially a Triathlete!!!!!!!
2010-06-22 7:26 AM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Excellent job!  It sounds like you really nailed everything for your first tri, which is no easy accomplishment. 

If I'm wearing a wetsuit, I just wear my tri shirt underneath it so I don't have to fuss with pulling a shirt on over a wet body.  I learned that lesson the hard way. 
2010-06-22 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Great job!  It sounds like you had an awesome experience.  You prepared well and it showed.  What a nice Father's Day for you! 
2010-06-22 8:24 AM

Pro
yep,
Great job out there.  I agree with Josh (Jcnipper) that you should wear your tri shirt under your wetsuit. 

Excellent job getting out there and attacking your first race!
2010-06-22 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rockville, MD
Awesome race man!

I wouldve killed for some of that rain this weekend!

2010-06-22 2:33 PM

User image

New user
Ellicott City
Well done! We could have used the rain during the Tri To Win in Carroll County.
2010-06-22 4:59 PM

User image

Catonsville
Great race report and congratulations!!!!  Nice pictures! 

Now, to get ready for your next triathlon, you are welcome to join us at Sandy Point for an OWS any weekend.

When is your next race?

Pat
2010-06-22 5:13 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
COngrats on becoming a TRIATHLETE!!!!!!  Soooooooooo proud of you!
2010-06-22 6:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Thank you all for your kind words!  I promise you this is just the start.  I love this sport and will stick with it as long as I can.  Will wear my shirt under my wetsuit next time.  Marine10 I may just take you up on the offer.  OWS in the ocean is such a nice experience!  I need to keep doing it....

Abbie, special thanks to you too for being an inspiration!  Hope you get to do your goal of 3 Iron Man races this year!  It is for a good cause!
2010-06-24 9:55 AM

User image

Regular
Bravo on conquering the swim!  OWS can be really frightening--even for me and I grew up on a lake LOL.

Congrats on your first tri!!

Heather

2010-06-25 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Chris - congratulations!! You did what it took to finish! That's always my base goal for any tri. Looks like the weather mostly cooperated too. On to the next one!
2010-06-28 12:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Great job, congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Assateague Assault Triathlon Rss Feed