General Discussion Race Reports! » High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sherwood, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 29m 29s
Overall Rank = 192/542
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 36/80
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a little before 4, ate bagle w/pb&j. The family was coming down later so I only had to worry about myself which was nice. Wished I had left a couple of minutes earlier because the lot closest to transition filled right in front of me so I was put at the far end of the other lots. Not a big deal but I usually forget something and need to run back to the car.
Event warmup:

I was parked right next to my brother,his wife and brother-in-law. As we are pumping up my brother's rear tire blows. Would have completely freaked me out but he calmly changed it and went on his way. No real warmup other than a short swim to get used to the water.
Swim
  • 25m 28s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

The lake was angry my friends. Stiff winds caused some pretty big waves. I like the swim and don't panic so just chugged along. Hard to sight but I have done it before so not too bad but consumed alot more lake water than I would have liked. I figured I would have a slow time but I actually took 7 minutes off the last two years. Probably was short but I'm going to pretend it was the full 1.2.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

They had strippers this year which was great. I have never had the pleasure before. I ran out with my shoes on because I didn't want wet socks for the ride. Worked fine because it was all on grass.

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 56m 46s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.01 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike started out fine, the ride down Lake Shore Dr, I think, was slower than usual because the mostly cross winds were a angled a bit north east but I figured that may help on the way back up. There was no one at the first aid station! It didn't affect me much as I planned on refilling on the way back but some of the guys that passed me were out of luck for the next 15 or so miles. At mile 29 my computer stopped, still not sure why but I hate not knowing my speed. Going on preceved rate of exertion just dosen't work for me. Anyway tried to push while saving some for the run. As expected the last sections were brutal due to the wind so just kept spinning. Only concern I have for IMOO is that my seat was getting real sore the last 20 miles. Going to be a long painful 112 in Sept.

Need to get in more long rides. Have been slacking a little this year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Went fine, found my spot. Nice thing was I was in the first row so I just tossed my wetsuit, helmet etc along the fence and out of the way.

nothing
Run
  • 2h 03m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Some don't like the trail run but I don't mind it, but there are some tricky spots and it can get a little lonly out there. Because it is lonly my mind can do a number on me. It is easier to slow down or take a break without others around to push me. The last two years I collapsed at mile 6 or 7 but this year I felt pretty good until about mile 10 then the battle with myself was on. The thing that bothers me most is the miles are only marked in a few spots as I am one that needs to know. It is the only reason I got a garmin this year and at mile three the darn thing stopped! It didn't loose signal it just froze, I couldn't even reset it. Definatelly need to figure that out. My goal for this race was to come in under 5:30. I thought I had 2+miles to go and not enough time but at the last aid station the guy told me that I only had 1 to go so I pushed and came in at 5:29 so it was a good day but I have a lot of work for Madison.

Train more
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a while, it takes me about 30 minutes for me to get my breath and start feeling like myself. Met up with everyone and munched a little. It was a very good day for our clan. My brother finished in 4:53:23 so he is ready for Lake Placid next month and his wife was second in her age group for the sprint distance!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just need to put in the miles.

Event comments:

This race has been my first long of the year for the last few years and I use it as an indication how the year will go. I took 15 minutes off last year so I was quite pleased.

Last updated: 2009-11-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:28 | 2112 yards | 01m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/80
Overall: 0/542
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy full
Course: single loop rectangle
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:56:46 | 56 miles | 19.01 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:03:37 | 13.1 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Trail run, a little dicey in spots but not bad. Like the shade but in the back in the field and where the wind is blocked it is quite warm.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-22 11:19 AM

User image

Marshfield Wi
Subject: High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman

2010-06-22 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2936555

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman
You really did have a great day!  Congratulations...you're well on you way to MOO.
2010-06-22 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2936555

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed