General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2010 Tour De France - Predictions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-06-22 11:25 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
Subject: 2010 Tour De France - Predictions
I couldn't wait....

With just a little over a week to go I had to start the thread...

I don't have an official start list so I have pieced together a list from press releases that I have gathered. I may have alos thrown a couple of names into some teams as well.

Maybe we could also speculate / discuss the final team listings... for example BMC Racing Team.

The (provisional) start list... so far:

AG2R La Mondiale:

BBox  Bouygues Telecom:

Cofidis, le Crédit en ligne:

Astana: Alberto Contador, Alexander Vinokourov,

BMC Racing: Cadel Evans, George Hincapie,

Caisse d’Epargne:

Cervelo Test Team: Xavier Florencio, Volodimir Gustov, Heinrich Haussler, Jeremy Hunt, Thor Hushovd, Andreas Klier, Ignatas Konovalovas, Brett Lancaster, Carlos Sastre.

Columbia-HTC (Long List): Michael Albasini, Lars Ytting Bak, Mark Cavendish, Bernhard Eisel, Maxime Monfort, Mark Renshaw, Andre Greipel, Haydon Roulston, Adam Hansen, Michael Rogers, Bert Grabsch, Tony Martin, Peter Velits, Kanstansin Sivtsov, Frantisek Rabon.

Euskaltel-Euskadi: Samuel Sánchez., Egoi Martínez, Iván Velasco, Juanjo Oroz, Alan Pérez, Rubén Pérez, Gorka Verdugo, Amets Txurruka, Iñaki Isasi.

Footon – Servetto:

Française des Jeux:

Garmin-Transitions: Christian Vande-Velde,

Katusha: Robbie McEwan, Phillipo Pozzato, ….

Lampre – Farnese:

Liquigas-Doimo: Ivan Basso,….

Milram: Gerald Ciolek, Johannes Frohlinger, Linus Gerdemann, Roger Kluge, Christian Knees, Luke Roberts, Thomas Rohregger, Niki Terpstra, Fabian Wegmann.

Omega Pharma-Lotto: Mario Aerts, Francis De Greef, Mickaël Delage, Sebastian Lang, Matthew Lloyd, Daniel Moreno Fernandel, Jürgen Roelandts, Jürgen Van den Broeck, Charles Wegelius

Quickstep: Tom Boonan,

Rabobank: Denis Menchov, Robert Gesink, Oscar Freire, Lars Boom, Grischa Niermann, Koos Moerenhout, Maarten Tjallingii,Bram Tankink, Juan Manuel Garate.

RadioShack: Lance Armstrong, Andreas Klöden, Levi Leipheimer, Chris Horner, Janez Brajkovic, Sergio Paulinho, Yaroslav Popovych, Gregory Rast and Dmitriy Muravyev

Saxo Bank: Fabian Cancellara, Andy Schleck, Fränk Schleck, Jens Voigt, Stuart O'Grady, Matti Breschel, Chris Anker Sørensen, Jakob Fuglsang and Nicki Sørensen.

Team Sky: Bradley Wiggins, Juan Antonio Flecha, Edvald Boasson Hagen, Kurt Asle Arvesen, Thomas Löfkvist, Steve Cummings, Simon Gerrans…

So, what do you all think? Who will make up the remaining team numbers and who will win the respective jerseys?

2010-06-23 12:11 AM
in reply to: #2937972

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: 2010 Tour De France - Predictions
mmm Cadel and Basso probably did too much in the Giro so i cant go for them unfortunately, nor sammy sanchez with all his crashes. Im gonna go with 1 and 2 from last year

1st contador
2nd Andy Schleck
3rd is hard I could see Frank Schleck, Armstrong, or 1 of the men i eliminated including Vino if i had to pick 1 id say Cadel.
2010-06-23 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
NoVA
Tough call---good field!!!

You can't really go wrong though with Contador and at least one of the Shleck brothers on the podium (Saxobank looks VERY solid as a team!).  Can Wiggins have a strong showing this year??  Seems like everyone has been waiting for his to have a breakthrough race this year...  Vino's looked strong but is he riding for Contador to his own demise?  Man I can hardly wait!!

A guy I work with is trying to start a pool---pick each stage winner and then the jersey's and the overall team winner---all picked before the start!
2010-06-23 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
HTC-Columbia have just finalised their team for this year's Tour:

Mark Cavendish, Bernhard Eisel, Bert Grabsch, Adam Hansen, Tony Martin, Maxime Monfort, Mark Renshaw, Michael Rogers and Kanstantsin Sivtsov.

Looks like they will be chasing Green....

2010-06-23 5:42 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
Quckstep have also finalised their team for the Tour:

Carlos Barredo, Tom Boonen, Sylvain Chavanel, Dries Devenyns, Kevin De Weert, Jerome Pineau, Kevin Seeldrayers, Jurgen Van de Walle, and Maarten Wynants.

That team is stacked around Boonen but with some knee problems there is some doubt over Tommeke's chances.

2010-06-23 6:03 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
And another...

Euskaltel Eusladi:
Inaki Isasi, Juanjo Oroz, Alan Perez, Ruben Perez, Samuel Sanchez, Egoi Martinez, Amets Txurruka, Ivan Velasco, Gorka Verdugo

2010-06-23 9:40 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

I saw in the paper today or somewhere, that Kim Kirchens had a heart attack.  31 years old,  is recovering.  So he won't be riding for Katusha.

I'm trying to digest my Velonews magazine and still on stage 10.  Going to be interesting how the cobblestones will break up the peloton .  Hopefully none of the big contenders get left in the dust  never to recover...

Contador, Andy Schleck and Lance,   Maybe Ivan Basso.

Do they have a betting line on the TDF?  I'm super excited to watch this event.

2010-06-23 10:26 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
Yeah, Kim Kirchen is now out of the induced Coma. It appears he has had a heart condition for a while now. Hopefully he is getting the treatment he needs and makes a full recovery.

The betting I have for the Outright Win is:

A. Contador - $1.60

A. Schleck - $6.50

L. Armstrong - $10.00

C. Evans - $17.00

I. Basso - $21.00

B. Wiggins - $21.00

D. Menchov - $29.00

Looks like Alberto is almost unbackable with daylight second...

2010-06-23 11:03 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
So HTC-Columbia left off Andrei Greipal?  Smart move to keep any friction off of Cav for 3 weeks.  Weren't they having words?
2010-06-23 11:11 PM
in reply to: #2940491

User image

Expert
BellinghamSpence - 2010-06-24 12:03 AM So HTC-Columbia left off Andrei Greipal?  Smart move to keep any friction off of Cav for 3 weeks.  Weren't they having words?

ya pretty heavy for a bit too. insulting each others performance this year greatly, greipal is gone after this year for sure.
2010-06-24 1:42 AM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
Looks like Greipel will be heading to Omega-Pharma Lotto. Apparently they are in negotiations and are close to a deal.

I cannot wait to see Greipel head-to-head with Cavendish in a sprint finish. I would suggest to the peloton that they all stay clear if those two are side-by-side....

2010-06-25 12:10 AM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
Man, Saxo Bank are going to smoke the TTT this year in the TDF!

The top three riders in the Danish National TT Champs were Saxo Bank riders, The top two riders in the Luxemborg National TT Chapms were Saxo Bank Riders and the Swedish National TT Champ is, you guessed it, a Saxo Bank rider.

Add this to the World TT Champ and the TTT will hardly contain any 'regular' Saxo Bak jerseys at all!!

Saxo Bank must know how to train TT champs....

2010-06-25 6:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alexandria, VA
No TTT this year, might be the biggest disappointment of the course.
2010-06-25 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2942937

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Iron_Gus - 2010-06-25 1:10 AM Man, Saxo Bank are going to smoke the TTT this year in the TDF!

The top three riders in the Danish National TT Champs were Saxo Bank riders, The top two riders in the Luxemborg National TT Chapms were Saxo Bank Riders and the Swedish National TT Champ is, you guessed it, a Saxo Bank rider.

Add this to the World TT Champ and the TTT will hardly contain any 'regular' Saxo Bak jerseys at all!!

Saxo Bank must know how to train TT champs....

Sounds like Columbia in years past, funny to see their TTT almost everyone was wearing some other kit.
2010-06-25 9:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Interior BC
Revised 2010 Tour de France Start list:

AG2R La Mondiale:
BBox Bouygues Telecom:
Cofidis, le Crédit en ligne:

Astana:
• Alberto Contador
• Alexander Vinokourov

BMC RacingTeam
• Alessandro Ballan (ITA)
• Brent Bookwalter (USA)
• Marcus Burghardt (GER)
• Cadel Evans (AUS)
• Mathias Frank (SUI)
• George Hincapie (USA)
• Karsten Kroon (NED)
• Steve Morabito (SUI)
• Mauro Santambrogio (ITA)

Caisse d’Epargne:

Cervelo Test Team
• Xavier Florencio
• Volodimir Gustov
• Heinrich Haussler
• Jeremy Hunt
• Thor Hushovd
• Andreas Klier
• Ignatas Konovalovas
• Brett Lancaster
• Carlos Sastre

Columbia-HTC
• Mark Cavendish (GBR)
• Bernhard Eisel (AUT)
• Bert Grabsch (GER)
• Adam Hansen (AUS)
• Tony Martin (GER)
• Maxime Monfort (BEL)
• Mark Renshaw (AUS)
• Michael Rogers (AUS)
• Kanstantsin Sivtsov (BEL)

Euskaltel-Euskadi
• Samuel Sánchez.
• Egoi Martínez
• Iván Velasco
• Juanjo Oroz
• Alan Pérez
• Rubén Pérez
• Gorka Verdugo
• Amets Txurruka
• Iñaki Isasi

Footon – Servetto
• Giampaolo Cheula
• Alberto Benitez
• Arkaitz Duran
• Iban Mayoz
• Rafael Valls
• Markus Eibegger
• Manuel Cardoso
• Fabio Felline
• Eros Capecchi

Française des Jeux:

Garmin-Transitions:
• Christian Vande-Velde

Katusha
• Pavel Brutt
• Sergey Ivanov
• Joaquim Rodriguez
• Vladimir Karpets
• Robbie McEwen
• Alexander Kolobnev
• Stijn Vandenbergh
• Eduard Vorganov
• Alexandr Pliuschin

Lampre – Farnese:

Liquigas-Doimo:
• Ivan Basso

Milram
• Gerald Ciolek,
• Johannes Frohlinger,
• Linus Gerdemann,
• Roger Kluge,
• Christian Knees,
• Luke Roberts,
• Thomas Rohregger,
• Niki Terpstra,
• Fabian Wegmann.

Omega Pharma-Lotto
• Mario Aerts
• Francis De Greef
• Mickaël Delage
• Sebastian Lang
• Matthew Lloyd
• Daniel Moreno Fernandel
• Jürgen Roelandts
• Jürgen Van den Broeck
• Charles Wegelius

Quickstep
• Tom Boonen (Bel)
• Carlos Barredo (Spa)
• Sylvain Chavanel (Fra)
• Dries Devenys (Bel)
• Kevin De Weert (Bel)
• Jerome Pineau (Fra)
• Kevin Seeldrayers (Bel)
• Jurgen Van de Walle (Bel)
• Martin Wynants (Bel)

Rabobank
• Denis Menchov
• Robert Gesink
• Oscar Freire
• Lars Boom
• Grischa Niermann
• Koos Moerenhout
• Maarten Tjallingii
• Bram Tankink
• Juan Manuel Garate

RadioShack
• Lance Armstrong
• Andreas Klöden
• Levi Leipheimer
• Chris Horner
• Janez Brajkovic
• Sergio Paulinho
• Yaroslav Popovych
• Gregory Rast
• Dmitriy Muravyev

Saxo Bank
• Fabian Cancellara,
• Andy Schleck
• Fränk Schleck
• Jens Voigt
• Stuart O'Grady
• Matti Breschel
• Chris Anker Sørensen
• Jakob Fuglsang
• Nicki Sørensen

Team Sky
• Bradley Wiggins
• Juan Antonio Flecha
• Edvald Boasson Hagen
• Kurt Asle Arvesen
• Thomas Löfkvist
• Steve Cummings
• Simon Gerrans
• Serge Pauwels
• Michael Barry

Edited by hmaccollum 2010-06-25 9:43 AM
2010-06-25 2:20 PM

Veteran

As much as it pains me to say this, I think that Radio Shack is going to be tough to beat. If Lance falters at any point in the race they have two past podium finisher’s right there to pick up and go. Kloden or Levi can certainly both step up and take the lead for RS. One of the Scheleck’s will be up there as well. Third, I will say Rodgers IF HTC works for him. Otherwise, I would go with Vande-Velde.

I don’t think that Astana has the depth to get A.C. back on the podium.

And to be honest and this is strictly my opinion, I don’t see any of the other teams as any sort of threat. I am sure I will eat my words for saying that but Saxo and R.S. are stocked and I don’t see many of the others being as well rounded.

2010-06-25 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2943442

Veteran
hmaccollum - 2010-06-25 9:37 AM Revised 2010 Tour de France Start list: AG2R La Mondiale: BBox Bouygues Telecom: Cofidis, le Crédit en ligne: Astana: • Alberto Contador • Alexander Vinokourov BMC RacingTeam • Alessandro Ballan (ITA) • Brent Bookwalter (USA) • Marcus Burghardt (GER) • Cadel Evans (AUS) • Mathias Frank (SUI) • George Hincapie (USA) • Karsten Kroon (NED) • Steve Morabito (SUI) • Mauro Santambrogio (ITA) Caisse d’Epargne: Cervelo Test Team • Xavier Florencio • Volodimir Gustov • Heinrich Haussler • Jeremy Hunt • Thor Hushovd • Andreas Klier • Ignatas Konovalovas • Brett Lancaster • Carlos Sastre Columbia-HTC • Mark Cavendish (GBR) • Bernhard Eisel (AUT) • Bert Grabsch (GER) • Adam Hansen (AUS) • Tony Martin (GER) • Maxime Monfort (BEL) • Mark Renshaw (AUS) • Michael Rogers (AUS) • Kanstantsin Sivtsov (BEL) Euskaltel-Euskadi • Samuel Sánchez. • Egoi Martínez • Iván Velasco • Juanjo Oroz • Alan Pérez • Rubén Pérez • Gorka Verdugo • Amets Txurruka • Iñaki Isasi Footon – Servetto • Giampaolo Cheula • Alberto Benitez • Arkaitz Duran • Iban Mayoz • Rafael Valls • Markus Eibegger • Manuel Cardoso • Fabio Felline • Eros Capecchi Française des Jeux: Garmin-Transitions: • Christian Vande-Velde Katusha • Pavel Brutt • Sergey Ivanov • Joaquim Rodriguez • Vladimir Karpets • Robbie McEwen • Alexander Kolobnev • Stijn Vandenbergh • Eduard Vorganov • Alexandr Pliuschin Lampre – Farnese: Liquigas-Doimo: • Ivan Basso Milram • Gerald Ciolek, • Johannes Frohlinger, • Linus Gerdemann, • Roger Kluge, • Christian Knees, • Luke Roberts, • Thomas Rohregger, • Niki Terpstra, • Fabian Wegmann. Omega Pharma-Lotto • Mario Aerts • Francis De Greef • Mickaël Delage • Sebastian Lang • Matthew Lloyd • Daniel Moreno Fernandel • Jürgen Roelandts • Jürgen Van den Broeck • Charles Wegelius Quickstep • Tom Boonen (Bel) • Carlos Barredo (Spa) • Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) • Dries Devenys (Bel) • Kevin De Weert (Bel) • Jerome Pineau (Fra) • Kevin Seeldrayers (Bel) • Jurgen Van de Walle (Bel) • Martin Wynants (Bel) Rabobank • Denis Menchov • Robert Gesink • Oscar Freire • Lars Boom • Grischa Niermann • Koos Moerenhout • Maarten Tjallingii • Bram Tankink • Juan Manuel Garate RadioShack • Lance Armstrong • Andreas Klöden • Levi Leipheimer • Chris Horner • Janez Brajkovic • Sergio Paulinho • Yaroslav Popovych • Gregory Rast • Dmitriy Muravyev Saxo Bank • Fabian Cancellara, • Andy Schleck • Fränk Schleck • Jens Voigt • Stuart O'Grady • Matti Breschel • Chris Anker Sørensen • Jakob Fuglsang • Nicki Sørensen Team Sky • Bradley Wiggins • Juan Antonio Flecha • Edvald Boasson Hagen • Kurt Asle Arvesen • Thomas Löfkvist • Steve Cummings • Simon Gerrans • Serge Pauwels • Michael Barry

Boonen is out...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/06/news/boonen-to-miss-national-championships-and-tour-due-to-tendinitis_123169
2010-06-26 12:23 AM

User image

Expert
Ft Gordon, GA
Boonen is out?!?!? Bummer! I really like him.

HTC not bringing Greipel is not really a surprise.

It should be a very interesting race as Lance has shown he is coming onto form VERY well. Tough to say where Contador is: He has not been amazing this year yet but I imagine he'll come into form soon. Cadel must be spent from the Giro but I think will still be top 10. Wiggo is such a wild card--I cannot wait to se what he can do. Frnak Schleck is definitely in form but not sure he can last the whole way at the top and Andy has not shown much this year. Take all that with the fact that there are pave in the first week where there will most likely be a crash and it's a lottery if anyone break a wrist or collarbone.

If everyone survives the first week okay, Contador should win it in the Pyrenees with one of the Schlecks in second, probably Andy, and then Lance or Wiggo for third. I'm guessing same podium as last year--yeah, boring guess.
2010-06-26 1:20 AM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
Wow! No Boonen and no Haussler. I am actually more disappointed on hearing about Haussler...

I wonder who will take Boonen's spot - Wolter Weylandt or Allan Davis. I hope Davis gets the nod after last year's fiasco.

2010-06-26 3:30 AM
in reply to: #2945247

User image

Expert
Ft Gordon, GA
Iron_Gus - 2010-06-26 1:20 AM

Wow! No Boonen and no Haussler. I am actually more disappointed on hearing about Haussler...

I wonder who will take Boonen's spot - Wolter Weylandt or Allan Davis. I hope Davis gets the nod after last year's fiasco.

No Haussler either?!?!?! Damn! I agree. i was more looking forward to following him than Boonen at the Tour. That stinks!
2010-06-26 12:35 PM

User image

Rock Springs, Wyoming
I predict Lance Armstrong winning this race. I think he'll have the best team willing to give it up for him to win. The best support in the race. He wont have the same politics holding him back as last yr.
I'll bet a steak dinner on it at my next race. So if you'll be there bring it! 

Ironman 70.3 Boulder
August 8, 2010
Boulder, Colorado, USA

2010-06-27 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2945258

User image

Expert
NoVA
Karl Hungus - 2010-06-26 4:30 AM
Iron_Gus - 2010-06-26 1:20 AM Wow! No Boonen and no Haussler. I am actually more disappointed on hearing about Haussler...

No Haussler either?!?!?! Damn! I agree. i was more looking forward to following him than Boonen at the Tour. That stinks!

He's had a tough year but I was really looking forward to seeing him in the TDF but saw the email from Cervelo saying he was out......bummer!!
2010-06-28 9:30 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
AC for the Yellow Jersey, the rest I don't care
2010-06-28 11:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Monadnock
GC Podium sweep...
1. Armstrong
2. Kloden
3. Leipheimer

I was hoping for Astana to do the same last year, but alas the brilliant tactical maneuver on stage 17 crushed those hopes.
2010-06-29 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2949883

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Just curious as to the reasoning for some people picking Armstrong to win?  Not knocking it, just would like to hear the reasoning behind it, other than wanting him to win, plus I like a good TdF discussion  Wink

When he was winning his 7 TdF's he did it by normally winning or being in the top 3 in all the TT's, then have his team deliver him to the final climb's on the serious mountain stages as fresh as possible then he rides away and open up huge time gaps.  After that his team would control the race to keep that gap.

At 38 (lol he's 6 days younger than I am)  I haven't seen him crushing the TT's, more of a top 15-20 guy now, still good but not that top 3, and on the mountains he seems to be able to get in the select groups but when one of them takes off he doesn't have the legs to go with them.  Again still good but not at the top of his game.

Do I think he can podium?  Sure, I think he still has good enough legs to keep him in the top 5 and a good enough mind and team to get him on the bottom step of the podium.  But there just always seems to be something significant separating the 1st and 2nd place at the TdF.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2010 Tour De France - Predictions Rss Feed  

of 3