Canada
Subaru West Coast Series
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 37m 44s
Overall Rank = 178/401
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 209/38
Pre-race routine:

Get up early (4am) eat breakfast and travel to the race. Get transition set and take morning poop.
Event warmup:

I did a little stretching and that is about it.
Swim
  • 37m 5s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

My swim wasn't that good. I had stop and get my breath several times as the cold I had was causing me a some grief. I found it quite tough to cough and swim at the same time.
What would you do differently?:

It would have been nice if I was not sick, but I don't think I would have done anything different.
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

Had an ok transition, I need to work on getting my suit off a little quicker.

Practice taking wet suit off without getting heels stuck.
Bike
  • 2h 49m 58s
  • 88 kms
  • 31.06 km/hr
Comments:

The bike started out quite bad. 200m in I crashed into the side of a truck parked on the side of the road. after getting my senses back and making sure my bike was good to go, I was able to get back in the saddle and carry on. It's too bad that my ride started this way, but it could have been worse I guess. It could have taken me out of the race. For the most part I was able to ride pretty good. My left quad was quite sore as was my right shoulder. i did not know that I hurt my quad in the crash until after. I found it tough to reach my bottle on the right side behind me. My right hip was also very sore, my leg turnoverreally was not that consistant. I had to coast occaisonly to rest my hip. I also had my elbow scapped up pretty good as well so I couldn't put alot of pressure on my arm pads. I didn't have too much trouble on the hills or the big hill. I have to admit that it was a tough one. The rest of the course was fine. I was able to get enough fuel and fluid in as that was the main priority of the day. (I want a bike course do over)

I am not sure as most races I am not sick nor do I crash into a truck at the beginning of the bike ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Forgot where my spot was in transition. I ran passed it and I also almost went out with my helmet on. My head was not clear.
Run
  • 2h 07m 10s
  • 20 kms
  • 06m 22s  min/km
Comments:

The run pretty much sucked. I went out of T-2 feeling good. about 500m later I would realize the crash had affected other body parts. My ancle was very sore. I must have twisted it as my foot left the peddle. By 2k my lower back, right hip, right ancle, right calf and left quad were all very sore. I started to walk and run after that point just so I could get the first lap done. I found it very tough on the little hills. I got around to the half way point and talked to Sandy. I asked her if I should just pull out or carry on. Felt it was more up to me than anything. She also asked if I would be able to finsh or not. I kind of felt that I should carry on only because of the mental part of it. I think it would have just killed any confidence that I had. This was a risk I was willing to take.I decided to run and it turned out to be a good decision I think. I was able to run most of it. It hurt alot, but having the last two races I did which were terrible due to injuries, I needed to do this. In the end I didn't run all that fast, but I got it done. I certainly feel better about it now. (good decision or bad decison?)

It would be nice to do it with out being injured.
Post race
Warm down:

Eat, eat, eat, eat, eat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The chest and head cold and the crash at the start of the bike ride.

Event comments:

I wish the race didn't go this way, but not every race is going to be perfect. I feel good about getting it done, I also realized that if I had quite the race after the crash I prbably wouldn't have been as sore the day after either. Oh well. I am also glad all my friends had a better day than I did.

Last updated: 2010-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:05 | 1900 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 201/401
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix
Course: One loop course.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 20C / 67F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:11
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:49:58 | 88 kms | 31.06 km/hr
Overall: 0/401
Wind:
Course: A 2 loop, very hilly course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:07:10 | 20 kms | 06m 22s  min/km
Overall: 292/401
Performance: Bad
Lap 1 1:05:11 Lap 2 1:02:00
Course: 2 loops on a fairly flat course with 4 little climbs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-23 11:47 AM

User image

Subject: New Balance Half Ironman

2010-06-24 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2939023

User image

Subject: RE: New Balance Half Ironman

Oh my goodness... I had heard that someone had crashed right at the beginning of the bike... I am so sorry that it was you.  And you kept going!  Unbelievable.  You are amazing, and certainly an Ironman.  Wow.  Good for you for persevering... that was quite the day for you.

Good thing is that you have had your bad race now, so the rest can be awesome!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Balance Half Ironman Rss Feed