General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hyperventilation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-24 8:36 AM

Martinsburg, WV
Subject: Hyperventilation
My first race is this weekend.  I have spent a couple of days getting used to the wetsuit, and it has taken some getting used to.  But, for the first time when swimming, I started hyperventilating after about 50yards.  What is the deal.  Is it the wetsuit which makes me want to swim faster?   Is it breathing?  It was actually pretty scary, and panic started to set in as the race is OWS.  My swimming had not given me these kinds of problems until now.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2010-06-24 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2940847

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Hyperventilation
Can you go without the wetsuit? I personally *hate* swimming in my wetsuit. I even did IMWI without a wetsuit. For me, unless it's absolutely freezing... I'm not wearing one. However, if you must wear one - practice in OW as much as possible between now and race day.

Good luck!

2010-06-24 8:46 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Hey Bill, (newbie also so no answer for you)

Same thing happens to me only in OWS.  The colder the water the worse it seems to be.  I think for me it is the anxiety and boby temp but not 100% sure?  So I too would like to see the follow-up on this thread.  I do know, once my body temp has had time to regulated (15-20 minutes) I seem to be good to go? 
2010-06-24 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2940878

Martinsburg, WV
That may be part of it.  I also believe that because I do swim faster in the wetsuit, I rush my stroke and the breathing gets really out of whack.  The constriction of the wetsuit also probably plays a role.  I may consider not wearing it, but it seems to me that I just have to get adjusted.  Thanks for your input
2010-06-24 8:58 AM

User image

Pro
MA
I bet it's the nervousness in OWS. 
My story is that I grew up swimming ain the ocean.  I practiced OWS before the race.  But at my first 2 tris (first without wetsuit due to warmth and second with wetsuit), I still panicked, or got overly-excited, and started hyperventilated. That makes me more nervous.  

My suggestion to you is to go on a few more OWS practice, with and without the wetsuit.  Just to get use to how it feels.  

And remember, wetsuit does NOT make you swim faster in terms of  stroke cadence ot kicking times.  It's added bouyancy may help to position your body properly and swimming more efficiently - the "faster" is a resulting side effect of proper body position.  Therefore swimming with a wetsuit should not make you more tired. 
If the wetsuit it too tight that is restricting your breathing (you should be able to tell when you put it on), then you might need a bigger one. 

2010-06-24 9:34 AM

I've done 3 sprints and it wasn't until my third that I swam without hyperventilating. I wetsuits and OWS are things you just have to get used to. The only thing I did differently before this race was a longer warm-up. Biked a little bit, jogged a little, and then swam about 5 minutes.

I know with my longer swims it takes me almost 500 yards before I settle down into a comfortable pace, too.

2010-06-24 11:19 AM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
How cold was the water? You will definitely experience cold water hyperventilation at temps below 70 degrees. The colder it is, the worse it is. Among other things, your body is trying to force you to take your face out of the cold water so it forces your lungs to exhale. THis instills panic, which instills further hyperventilation, and its a nasty (and dangerous) cycle if you can't get it under control.

I also think its probably "newness" to OWS. That is going to give you some nerves anyway. ANd once a little panic sets in..forget about it. It just spirals.

The best advice I would give you is (1) practice practice practice, it will get better, (2) realize that its mostly just a physiological response (cold water and/or nerves) and you CAN do it...mentally relax yourself in the water, and you will calm down, (3) wear your wetsuit. Why? because it should help ease your nerves versus adding to them. It is very hard if not impossible to drown with a wetsuit on and that should give you a backstop of comfort.

If it feels that restrictive...check your fit. Make sure you have that puppy yanked up tight, starting with the ankles. I find that most people that complain of a restrictive wetsuit fit dont have it on right.

One last piece of advice (if this isnt obvious): At your race, get there early and get plenty of time in the water before the race start. Use every bit of that practice swim time to relax yourself. If you think you have nerves now, wait until you are standing there with a few hundred of your closest friends! Prepare for it. Know what to expect. And be ready. You CAN do it.

Good luck!!

Edited by JohnAgs3 2010-06-24 11:22 AM
2010-06-24 11:27 AM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

This hyperventilate/panic is very common for new OWS swimmers. The best advice you've been given already is practice. My next best advice is relax and start slow. And good for you for getting out in OW before race day.

2010-06-24 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
I've done two OWS practices so far.  And while I didn't completely hyperventilate, I did notice a massive change in my breathing from breathing in the pool.  What I attributed the problem to is that the water was super cold in both swims.  And this caused my to 'forget' to exhale with my face in the water.  Doing this meant I was trying to exhale and inhale while taking a breath with my stroke.  And obviously that didn't work.  Once I figured that out, I made sure to exhale with my face under water (and told myself to RELAX) and that seemed to help. 

Hope that helps!
2010-06-24 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg
It happens for "old" OWS too, I've been racing for 25 years and had an issue in a non wetsuit swim where I went off with the elite pack and got pretty beat up.  I've been a swimmer since 1978 and had no issues in any swims before that.  Since then I have to sing in my head to keep the thoughts of panic out. 

In a wetsuit it happens regularly to me, to the point where I usually go without (use an xterra speed suit over my tri suit).  Make sure you soak your wetsuit a couple days before hand so it will be flexible.  And definitely the more practice in it the better.

Oh, and if I have to use a wetsuit, I start the swim with it unzipped about 5 inches for the beginning then zip it up after I'm comfortable.

Edited by gts 2010-06-24 11:35 AM
2010-06-24 12:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Newport News
This happens to me as well, usually about 50 Yards in and I have to tell myself to focus on my stroke and settle down. I do this by slowing my stroke down, concentrate on good form and taking a series of good long breaths over the next 25 yards.
It also helps to get in the water and feel it out a bit, let your body know whats coming and adjust, before you start to swim. 
Conditions are completely opposite from the pool.  Colder water, close to zero visability, depth, chop, taste etc. It takes you out of your comfort zone and your brain's conditioning goes out the window.  Your heart rate climbs and your mind starts thinking survival vs swimming.

The wetsuit is going to make you ride higher in the water than you are used to and will cause your normal "in the water feeling" to be different than what you are used to.  Good that you got in an OWS early to see the difference.

On race day the horn will go off and the water will churn, your heat rate will spike and you will start your race.  Position yourself on the outside in the back and focus on your swim.  When you feel the panic remember your stroke and breathing.  Slow it down and let your training take over.  Don't worry about the pack or their pace. Focus on your race, sight that buoy every 10 strokes or so and you will be fine.

My first race with the OWS scared the skittles out of me.  But I got through it and found out that I like the OWS now that I have done a few and know whats coming. 

Good luck this weekend and have a great race!

2010-06-24 12:20 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Thanks everyone, I guess there is still hope for me to master the OWS.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hyperventilation Rss Feed