United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 47s
Overall Rank = 59/140
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/22
Pre-race routine:

Slept at my in laws house the night before. Rough night sleep...race jitters I guess. Kept having dreams about missing registration. Got up a little before 5 am and showered. Had a bowl of oatmeal. Made a bagel with peanut butter but never ended up eating any of it, oatmeal was enough. Got to the race, registered. Went back and got our bikes and put them in transition and then went to the run start area for the pre race meeting.
Event warmup:

Ran once around the little square where the race started. Just enough to wake my legs up.
Run
  • 22m 22s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good going out. Was trying to push it but not trying to blow up. Looked at my watch at mile 1 and was at around a 7:15 pace. Didn't look at my watch after that. Turns out that I got slower each mile...not sure why. Wasn't intentional but maybe my head was trying to make sure I saved some for later.
What would you do differently?:

Run a little hard and got the overall pace to 7:15 or better.
Transition 1
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Ran into transition. Slipped off shoes, put on bike shoes, sunglasses on, helmet on. Left race belt on. Ran out of transition. Stopped at mount line to get on bike. Need to work on my mount to make it quicker. Don't really practice my mounts.

Was 19th overall in T1 so not really complaining too much.

Mount better. Figure out how to mount with shoes in pedals.
Bike
  • 56m 10s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.09 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike was less than stellar. Just based on my riding I expected to be 18.5-19.5 mph. I just died on the hills. Need to get better there (I know...ride more hills!). At one nasty railroad track, it was a nasty bump...thought I would blow a tired. Instead my garmin fell off the wrist band and I had to stop and go back and get it. That probably cost me at least 2 minutes. Felt strong on the flats and descents and felt like I kept good speed on the turns, just the climbs that gave me problems. Had a gel around mile 12 and that helped bring me home.

Ride more hills? Make sure the garmin is pushed all the way into the quick disconnect thing.

Might consider a gel earlier in the ride and then again late ride. I certainly feel a positive impact from them.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Got my feet out of the shoes before getting to the dismount line. Pretty much stopped bike to hop off. Ran in, racked bike, helmet off, running shoes on...GO!

21st overall so don't need to do much. Run faster? Hop off the moving bike.
Run
  • 23m 49s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Was taking really short strides when I first got off the bike. Thought I was going slow but turned out to only be an 8:05 pace so not too bad. Picked it up from there and got faster at mile 2 and mile 3. Probably could/should have pushed a little harder here...I was hurting some but not dying.

Saving grace was that I passed a lot of the people on the run who passed me on the bike.

Push a little harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water, stretched a little and waited for my bride to cross the line. She was 5th in her AG!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall bike fitness.

Event comments:

Pretty good race overall. Volunteers and police did a nice job. Probably could have put the run water station more to the middle of the run. After race had hot breakfast food. Only criticism is that they ran out of water and juice early into the festivities.

Last updated: 2010-06-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:22 | 03 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 60/140
Performance: Good
Course: Road and paved/unpaved trail. Pretty flat other than a few short inclines to get up on the dike along the river. Water/gatorade station around the 2.5 mile mark.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:56:10 | 16 miles | 17.09 mile/hr
Overall: 71/140
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Advertised as rollers but seemed like a little more that that to me. Mostly good road conditions but a nasty railroad track...maybe around mile 6.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:49 | 03 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 53/140
Performance: Average
Course: Same as first run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-24 10:07 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Subject: Wilkes Barre Duathlon

2010-06-24 11:48 PM
in reply to: #2942862

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Subject: RE: Wilkes Barre Duathlon

Nice race George!  Way to hammer through the transitions!  Always interesting when we try a new type of multi-sport, huh?  Congrats to the wife!  She should be stoked!

2010-06-25 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey that's cool that you are on here too!  Did you see my race report?
2010-06-28 12:25 PM

User image

Regular
Horseheads, NY

Nice job! I totally missed that you raced last week. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wilkes Barre Duathlon Rss Feed