General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Maumee Bay Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oregon, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 29m 52s
Overall Rank = 75/215
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/20
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and drove over to transition to get good rack spots. Went back to trailer and used the bathroom, ate took a quick shower and worked on warming up and was ready to yack due to my lungs being a total mess.
Event warmup:

Running in campground and then again in parking lot, 10 minutes of swimming.
Swim
  • 27m 33s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wanted to really try and hammer this course but with my lungs mis behaving I was having issues even getting warmed up before go time. Both inhalers were used and felt as though they weren't helping at all.

Got into a nice rhythm once our wave was sent on it's way. Not sure how many groups I caught up to but know I passed quite a few in the sprint waves in the first loop and they went off several minutes before hand. Without different color swim caps it was hard to tell. Second loop was much easier with less traffic. Swim felt real good overall and I was able to got pretty good without coughing or wanting to puke.

Wet suit got stuck on my left ankle and I wasted roughly 1:20 getting it off, hit the waters edge at 25:10. Wish I would've used my Quick John as I was feeling a bit warm in a full suit and I wouldn't have had the issues with a stuck suit.
What would you do differently?:

Use the Quick John or just use the one piece tri suit.
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Had a great day in transitions.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 35s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.43 mile/hr
Comments:

Winds were blowing at a decent clip and as usual the forecast on the phone was wrong just like at B2B. Had a decent ride overall. 1st loop wasn't to bad but there must have been a decent crash as there were two ambulances and a third man still on the ground with a police officer. Otherwise it was just a steady ride with a nice hammer section on the one west to east section, otherwise it was headwind or crosswind.

Since we were camping I left the race wheels at home.

Train more for the Oly distance.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Quick T2 with no issues besides sprint athletes getting in the way. Not sure why HFP would allow people in transition while bikes are still coming in. Had a guy standing right in front of my rack with the deer in headlights look. Not to mention others that must have forgot there was still a race going on that had to navigated around.
Run
  • 50m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Tough run as the heat eats me up and with the lungs still not right I couldn't really get going. At least I got to see Susan and Karen just finishing up as I was heading out. There were several areas were there was no wind due to trees or running with it and with no clouds in the sky the sun was just beating down on me. I had a decent pace at 8/mile at the turnaround and thought I would finally go sub 8 min miles for an oly run, on the return I was hurting and really wanted to walk but just kept going at a slower pace. Aid station drinks were just barely cool and didn't seem to provide a lot of relief. I was really wishing for some ice cubes to put in my hat. Without a watch with total time I had no idea I was so close to 2:30 and thought I missed by a minute or two, glad I didn't give into the walk voices in my head.

Get some extra weight off and get used to running in the heat as it's a weak point for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in the shade and chowed on some fruit and water that was finally icy cold. Headed back to our camp site and packed up the truck and trailer and continued on to our Lake Huron getaway for some needed time away.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Warmth on the run and my lungs.

Event comments:

First HFP race which proved to be nice enough but nothing real special. I've done better and worse. Course is nice and ripe for hammering with virtually no elevation gain, and the price was right for signing up three days beforehand. Distances seemed to be accurate. Not much for after race grub besides some fruit and water. Letting people retrieve equipment from sprint races while folks were still coming in from the Oly seemed like a pain. HFP's supposed security for the bikes was a joke, we all wore arm bands that matched bands on our bikes, no one looked at either mine or my wifes and any one could walk in and out of transition.

Last updated: 2010-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:33 | 1500 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/20
Overall: 81/215
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix
Course: Two loop rectangle course in inland lake
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:13
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:09:35 | 24.85 miles | 21.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/20
Overall: 80/215
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: Two loop deal on decent roads
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:48 | 06.21 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 93/215
Performance: Average
out and back along paved paths in park.
Course:
Keeping cool Bad Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-06-25 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: Maumee Bay Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed