General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie in Florida & a bit scared!... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-26 11:47 AM

New user

Subject: Newbie in Florida & a bit scared!...
Hello all!

My sister and I(she lives in Ohio) have decided this past week to do the Orlando Women's "My First Tri" Triathlon at the end of October. I have done nothing but researchfor the past couple of days! I knew NOTHING about Triathlons but decided back when I turned 30 that I was going to do something great before turning 31. This is going to be it

*Training begins on Monday--I have created a 16 Week training program based off of other programs I have seen including the "couch to 5K" program & combining my own strength training. Surprised
*Worries: Money! my current bike is a wal-mart piece of poo(literally--the pedals fall off). i won't be able to afford a decent road bike for a couple of months. bathing suit to train in. goggles. helmet. tri suit. new running shoes. i want to do this so bad but i had no idea the amount of money that would have to be invested. plus travel & hotel for the weekend of the race--oh & the registration fee. (sorry, at this point i'm just b^tching)
                OWS--I do have a tiny rec pool at my condo complex & a public pool I'm going to try to make it to once a week to use the lap lane but I live close to the ocean & I'm not a fan of swimming in the ocean(sharks). so to OWS train is kind of out for me. My husband says I am an "above average" swimmer so I should not be worried but I've read too many stories of people who have freaked out because they didn't practice with alot of bodies.

I'm sure there are many more worries I will come up with but at the moment that's all....

Any and all advice, tips, motivation, stories of your first tri are welcomed!!

Thank you!!

2010-06-27 3:41 AM
in reply to: #2945459

User image

On your right
Subject: RE: Newbie in Florida & a bit scared!...

Welcome to the site!  Hopefully you find answers to the questions you have here.

Yes, tri world gets expensive, and very quickly.  Although once you buy a bike, that will really be your biggest expense for a while.  Or, at least it was for me. 

I did my first (sprint) tri on a Target bought mountain bike and while I wasn't one of the faster people, I got lots of "you rock" from the other racers since I was on such a heavy "slow" bike.

You'll find that tri people are super friendly to new people and if you stick around after your race to the end, the last person to finish will likely get more applause than the first finisher.

As for ows, just start at the back, take it easy, and swim your race.  If you get to the point where you need a second to recover, do some side stroke, or back stroke.  Heck, grab on to a safety boat, (that's legal) catch your breath, and start swimming again.

Good luck!

2010-06-27 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2946098

New user

Thank you!! You are very reassuring...I really appreciate it! Learning about tri's can be very overwhelming.
2010-06-27 9:53 AM

Valdosta
If it is any comfort I am training for my first ri too and i have a used walmart bike!! :P
2010-06-27 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL

No problem using a Wal Mart bike for your first few races, assuming you can keep it in safe working order. Unfortunately, that's a pretty big and sometimes expensive assumption. I wound up buying a used road bike for $400 after dumping nearly $200 into my $99 Wal Mart bike just to keep it road worthy.

Do you have your heart set on racing in Orlando? If money is a concern, why not look for a race that doesn't involve travel/hotel expenses? I'm not sure what part of Florida you live in, but it's likely that there's a tri close to home in September/October. That savings alone could have you halfway to a replacement bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie in Florida & a bit scared!... Rss Feed