General Discussion Race Reports! » Johans Tri Fest Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Johans Tri Fest Olympic Distance Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hopkins, Michigan
United States
Johans Tri Fest
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m 11s
Overall Rank = 39/292
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/28
Pre-race routine:

I should probably start by saying this was a rough week leading up to the race. I had already worked 55 hours up through Friday and the stress for the week definitely did not help with project deadlines and travel mixed in. My training has been going well however in preparing for Muncie HIM in 3 weeks..my "A" race for the year. I feel like my preparation for that race is on track but I wanted to do this race because it is a very competitive field and very well run race.
Event warmup:

I was up at 4:30 a.m., took a shower and body glide the body and put on the new race kit. Made some coffee and ate a bagel with peanut butter. My sister got here at 5:00 a.m. and got the car loaded up with both of our bikes. I had half a banana on the way to the race and sipped water.
This race was deja-vu with last year. We had storms the night before and then race day was supposed to be hot, humid, and windy. It was a nice morning and probably 68 so not too bad at the start.
Setup my transition area and got the wetsuit on about 30 minutes before start time. I got in the water and swam about 200 yards. Took a gu about 15 minutes before race time.
Swim
  • 26m 30s
  • 1650 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

We all waded in the water until the start since it was a deep water start. The guy starting decides he is just going to say ok go! Not real formal..but whatever. It was a little rough at the start but thinned out after 200 meters. I was swimming well and felt comfortable to the first buoy. They only had 4 buoys total for the course. 2 to the turn buoy and then 2 back in for a 1500 meter course which is just not enough so sighting is essential to a good split. The way back was into the sun and could not see anything. I would look up and just see a crowd of people so just followed the crowd for the most part. I stopped and breast stroked a second to sight the last buoy and ended up about 30 yards right of it which was ok. After that buoy I thought I was being caught by the older men on the course and thought it would be a good thing to get on the feet of the faster swimmers in the next wave. Turns out, this did not work out well. That group brought me way left on the last bit into home and when I sighted and saw the big group 50 yards over..I knew I was in trouble.
I got out in 26:xx and was not happy. I knew I swam well enough to be low 25's and just got off course and blah!
What would you do differently?:

Stop and sight with a breast stroke. The sun was right in the grill and it was very easy to get off course as I did. Do not get on the feet of the wrong person :).
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

AG: 1/28

Good transition other than the timing chips they were using were huge and took a couple seconds to get it over my wetsuit.

Timing chip under my wetsuit which I usually do but one of the volunteers said it might not time correctly under the wetsuit.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 40s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out passing quite a few people because of my bad swim. The first section of the course has a few corners and some smaller hills mixed in and then some more hills until you get to the out and back sections. The first out and back is always the most difficult because of the hills and into a pretty good headwind. I was into the smallring and trying to maintin a steady cadence but this is where I could have pushed a bit and did not. The way back is a tailwind and you can fly. The second out and back is actually pretty flat and again did not push this hard enough. I knew as I approached transition that I did not have the bike I wanted but I was hoping to put down a great run split and rectify a little bit at least.

PUSH HARDER! To race well you have to want the pain that goes with it and today was I just not ready to do that.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

AG: 1/28
No problems here..left the sunglasses at T2 becuase it had clouded up.

Nada!
Run
  • 43m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Took off out of transition feeling pretty good and felt like I was at a comfortably hard pace. I had a few people out in front and just concentrated on trying to catch some people. I had the same guy out in front of me that was right next to me in transition. He started out about 200 meters in front of me but I eventually reeled him in. I did not realize he was actually in my age group until we got to mile 4.5 or so and came up on his shoulder. I was running ok up until that point taking a water at each aid station and just trying to keep a good rythm since it was a flat course. We kind of paced off each other the rest of the way and he pulled away a bit in the last mile. I thought I would be able to turn it up a notch on the last couple miles but just did not have it in me.
Post race
Warm down:

They had a cold shower thingy set up that I got under...amazing!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Focused on my HIM and work, stress, and travel weighed on me the week leading up.

Event comments:

Good race...nice swim (see need more buoys)..challenging bike course..and nice support on the run. Very competitive field at this race which I liked.
No OA rankings in each discipline posted in the results section..just AG.

I shall be back and hopefully with a much better time!

Last updated: 2010-01-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:30 | 1650 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/28
Overall: 0/292
Performance: Bad
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Sleeveless
Course: Long rectangle. Sun in the grill on the way back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:40 | 24.85 miles | 21.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/28
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Challenging course on country roads with mix of hills, flats and wind.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:43:31 | 06.21 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/28
Performance: Average
Course: First 1/2 on country roads and the last 1/2 in the campground. Flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-26 3:05 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: Johans Tri Fest Olympic Distance Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Johans Tri Fest Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed