View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winneconne, Wisconsin
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am and tossed and turned until 5:45. I had a horribly nervous stomach, so I had a small handfull of almonds so I'd have at least something in my system. Got to the site at 7:15, found a bike spot and set up transition. Worked at not vomiting from nerves. Got a thrill as my race number was written on my leg for the first time ever.
Event warmup:

Did a lot of walking around. Had some friends show up to watch, which was nice, but I ditched them for some time alone. Did some visualizing and positive self-talk as I walked around. Did some light stretching, but kept it pretty simple as I wasn't sure how my body would react to the heat and high humidity.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 200 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

I got off to a good start, concentrating on my breath and stroke. About 50 yards in, I realized I was veering off course. That made me panic a bit and I started kicking crazily, which threw off my rythm and slowed me down. I mentally re-grouped as I went around the bouy and got back in sync with my stroke. I realized I was going to have to pass someone, and about the same time I swallowed a huge gulp of water. I didn't panic (yeah), sighted the hole of arms and limbs I was going to slip through and made my move - success!
What would you do differently?:

More OWS practice, with focused work on sighting where I'm going.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I was a little surprised at how far I had to run (or in my case, walk fast) for the transition. I was worried about sandy feet, but the grass swept all the sand off. Unfortunately, the extra-long grass had been cut the day before and my feet were coated with grass. Thank goodness I brought a towel. I was happy I got in my pedal straps fairly quickly.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 10 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out the bike ride pretty good. Then I realized my computer wasn't seated right and I had no idea how fast I was going. I fiddled with it for about 1/2 mile and finally got it seated correctly and working. I finally got into a rythm on the flat country roads . . . then I turned the corner and saw the hill. Just one hill on the course, but it nearly killed me. At one point I was weighing the humiliation factor of just walking my bike the rest of the way up the hill, when another athlete passed me and said over his shoulder, "You can do it, just keep peddling". So I did, and made it to the top. I did pass 3 people on the bike. Two had flat tires (I offered them my spare tube, but both had different tire sizes) and one had a minor accident, but I did pass them, so I'm counting that.

Make sure my computer is seated correctly and not freak out over a hill.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I went down the wrong lane of bikes and had to double back to find my spot - silly waste of time.

Pay more attention to where my bike is/should be when coming into transition from any direction.
Run
  • 00m
  • 1.5 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I power walk or shuffle-run and I was most nervous about this bit of the race. I was terrified my calves would cramp up or I would get a stitch in my side. I controlled my pace pretty well, slow though it was.

I could push more with the run. I still had some gas left at the end, and should have used it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and drank lots of water. I should have stretched more to avoid some muscle stiffness later on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Physical ability and mental preparation.

Event comments:

So proud to have finished my first triathlon!

Last updated: 2010-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 200 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: tri
Course: Man-made pond, across and back
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 10 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Mostly flat with one big hill at about the half way point.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 01.5 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Very flat run, maybe 1/4 of it on grass, the rest on asphalt.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-06-26 8:29 PM

User image

Subject: Mighty Wolf Triathlon

2010-06-27 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2945889

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Mighty Wolf Triathlon
Congratulations on completing your first triathlon. You are an inspiration to so many people. Amazing job!
2010-06-27 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2945889

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
Subject: RE: Mighty Wolf Triathlon
Well Done and congrats on becoming a TRIATHLETE!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mighty Wolf Triathlon Rss Feed