United States
Village of Pleasant Prairie, RecPlex
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 06m
Overall Rank = 286/300
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30 and had my coffee and breakfast. I already put everything in the car the night before so all I carried out were my beverages. Got to the race an hour and a half early and set up all of my stuff.
Event warmup:

There was no warm up. There was rain and lightening all morning so no one could do a warm up swim. I just kept walking back and forth making sure I knew where the exits were.
Swim
  • 28m 15s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had done some swims in Lake Michigan and thought they were half a mile after mapping it. I'm pretty sure that was inaccurate, because this looked really long! As soon as I started I felt like I couldn't catch my breath and was able to put my head down only three times. I resorted to backstroke after seeing someone else do it and the crawl without putting my head down. Overall my time was pretty good for me.
What would you do differently?:

I need to train outside more and build general technique. I definitely need to up my swim endurance.
Transition 1
  • 03m 53s
Comments:

So I laughed out loud when I saw T1 took almost four minutes! I walked some out of the water trying to catch my breath. I was able to get my wetsuit off easily without sitting, but I definitely didn't get my things together with a sense of urgency.

Move quicker. I had my stuff set up well. I just needed to go faster.
Bike
  • 50m 10s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 14.87 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt slow on the bike which is usually what I'm most confident with. I think it was just that I'm not usually out there racing with a bunch of other people.

I think I did the best I could do on the bike. Maybe one thing could be to add another water cage to my bike so I can bring one water and one gatorade. I just brought gatorade this time.
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

This was definitely a quicker transition. All I did was sip some water and throw on a visor after taking off my helmet. I don't have cleats so I just rode in my running shoes to save time.

Not waste time putting a sweatband on my wrist when I had a visor on.
Run
  • 41m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Nice and flat running course :) I didn't have that weird feeling after biking then running so that didn't distract me. I walked quite a bit the first mile. The second and last I found my rhythm and only walked a couple of more times. It seemed that it was almost easier to just keep running. It's definitely slower than my 5K times, but I'm pretty pleased with it.

There was a point between mile two and three where I felt like I could keep running, but mentally I wasn't use to running that long without a break. I wished I would have just kept going. I need to keep working on my steady paces even if they're slow. I need to build consistency.
Post race
Warm down:

Um....none. It started lightening and thundering the last mile and then raining and then down pouring! I grabbed my water and half a bagel and went to find my friends. It only lasted about ten minutes though. I went to wring out my stuff and rode my bike to my car while they carried all my stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

ME! Not being as prepared as I could have been. This was definitely a learning experience and I have learned a LOT! I don't mean that in a negative way at all. I had little expectations coming in - just finish. And I did that. Now I can start working on my weaknesses more effectively.

Event comments:

I can't believe I am officially a triathlete. I got a little teary eyed after finishing and was taking my water bottle. Thank goodness it was raining out! I'm very proud of myself and really want to enjoy the moment instead of thinking of all the work I have ahead. During the swim I really didn't think I was going to make it, but by the end I had pulled myself together to enjoy the race. Everyone's advice on this website and especially in my mentor group has helped me get through all of this and want to do it again.

Last updated: 2010-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:15 | 750 meters | 03m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 223/300
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Straight shot out and back
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:53
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:10 | 12.43 miles | 14.87 mile/hr
Overall: 269/300
Wind: Strong
Course: The course went through the outskirts of Pleasant Prairie. Kind of hilly, but I'm use to that.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:41:16 | 03.11 miles | 13m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 285/300
Performance: Good
Course: Very flat -it was a path out and back right next to each other around the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-27 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon

2010-06-27 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2946374

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon
What a great race report, Jordan!!  You can tell it was HARD, and that you did whatever it took to complete it!!  Nothing or noone can take this moment away from you!!  You, my girl, ARE A TRIATHLETE!!  I am sooo proud of you!!
2010-06-28 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2946374

Veteran
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon
Excellent job finishing your first with many threatening adverse conditions!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon Rss Feed