Metlife
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 15m 19s
Overall Rank = 194/513
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/40
Pre-race routine:

Had some rye toast for breakfast about 3 hours before race time. Picked up Marcie and headed out around 5:30am. She had volunteering duty and was supposed to be there at 6am. Racks in transition were different than how they always had been -- 3 very long racks instead of a ton of shorter racks (set up long-ways rather than short-ways) which sucked. I wasn't near bike in/out, but I got an end spot, which was valuable because the racks were PACKED.
Event warmup:

Jogged for about a minute. To and from the port-a-potty. :)
Run
  • 17m 40s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Hot and humid for the first leg. Hell, I was sweating just standing around beforehand.

I knew that the run legs wouldn't be strong for me this year - I've lost so much run fitness - but went out there and put out a good effort without completely blowing up. Hard, because it felt like there was absolutely no air out there.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

About the same as the other T1's when I've done this race...
Bike
  • 35m 7s
  • 11 miles
  • 18.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Knowing my run wouldn't hold up, I decided to pour everything I had into the bike. Turned in my best bike time ever on this course (a minute faster than last year, a SECOND faster than the first time I did this when I was young and in shape... hee!). I worked hard out there, battling the strong headwind to keep pace up and then pushing even with the tailwind to make up lost time. Feeling really good about my results here, considering my lack of training.
What would you do differently?:

Grow wings?
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Fine. Half-jogged through this. Quads were fried after the bike.

Nothing.
Run
  • 19m 52s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

The storm front was moving in while I was on the bike, but it didn't start raining until I was about half a mile into the run. Luckily, this was just the beginning - so a steady rain, but not a torrential downpour (that came just a bit later). Actually felt good because it was cooler and the humidity had dropped quite a bit from the first run leg.

And frankly, while this was SLOW, I'm mostly just pleased that I managed to keep it under 10m/m

I really need to start running again.
Post race
Warm down:

My parents had come out to watch - and were waiting under a bank drive-through, trying to stay dry. I went over to them, chit-chatted and then the rain stopped and they bolted. Heh. But - as always - so glad to have them come out to see me race.

After that, wandered and found Marcie at her volunteering position in transition and talked for awhile until she could leave her position. We got my bike, put it in the truck and literally less than a minute later, the torrential downpour started. High winds, beating down rain, thunder and lightning. They were talking about pulling people from the run course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, certainly. Also - was in a minor accident this past week which has made me surprisingly sore. During the second run, while my legs were certainly complaining, what was fatiguing most was my back, shoulders and core. I can only attribute this to still feeling the effects of the crash. I don't know that it changed my times a whole lot, but definitely impacted the way I felt out there.

Event comments:

I love this race. Not too big, well-organized, decent goody bags (though UGLY shirts this year) and pretty good post-race food for the size of it. AND you don't have to swim! How much better does it get?

Last updated: 2010-02-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:40 | 02 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 0/513
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, fairly flat.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:35:07 | 11 miles | 18.79 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Rectangular out and back, wind coming from the southwest, so the first leg out and over were TOUGH.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:52 | 02 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Same out and back
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-27 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: MetLife Duathlon

2010-06-27 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2946468

User image

Veteran
South Suburb of Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: MetLife Duathlon
Congrats on your finish!! That was nice storm that decided to blow on in there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MetLife Duathlon Rss Feed