General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS and asthma symptoms Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-27 6:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Subject: OWS and asthma symptoms
I've DNF'd two races in three weeks based on asthma like symptoms during the swim. Let me preface this with the fact that I've got several years of triathlon under my belt, including an ironman, I'm a former high school and college swimmer and have never had a problem with open water.

Two weeks ago I started an Oly swim with a running beach start. I did what would be normal for me-up front, to the side, swim hard for 3-4 minutes to get away from the pack and then settle in. Except that I couldn't settle in, I was hypoxic and it only got worse. My chest tightened, I felt like I could not possibly get enough air and the tingling in my arms got worse and worse. After a few minutes I was actually a bit disoriented and unable to take more than 3 or 4 strokes without gasping and having to breast stroke. I was a concerned and pulled myself out of the race--I'd never felt anything like that.

When I got out, I went and sat in my car immediately, as it as warm, and even 20 minutes later my HR was high, above 75 sitting still in a warm car. For the rest of the day I felt like I had lifted a million pounds-my arms were busted and I just sat on the couch feeling my own blood flow. I took a few days off, and then had a long weekend of one loop of IMLP course, 10 mile run and two swims in MIrror Lake--all totally uneventful, other than I suck at hills and was wiped after hte bike.

Okay, I needed my mojo back, so I hit some open water swims in a different location a few times last week and even bought myself a new wetsuit (crazy!!) and then decided to do a sprint just to prove to myself that the last race was a fluke.

Got there early, racked, feeling confident, did a warm up swim that was fine, to the first bouy and back. THe start was a wade in, I was in front and fully prepared to hammer 600 yards. The first 100 were fine and very hard, then I decided to ease up and keep a comfortable pace, but the same thing happened. My chest felt like there was an elephant sitting on it, my throat started to feel cut off too. I really felt like I was being strangled and had to do back stroke just so I could gasp more air. I finished but was completely wiped out, I just stood there in knee deep water trying to catch my breathe. I walked to transition and seriously considered quitting right then. This time was a bit different in that my lungs were also full of fluid, I could feel it when I was breathing in.

I did the bike course, coughing and wheezing for the first 20 minutes (seriously, other riders must have thought I was going to die). For my effort level my pace was off, my HR was high tempo rate for what is usually an endurance speed. I finished though, and figured I would run okay, I typically run okay even if everything else is bad.

Not this time. I ran for less than 5 minutes. It was clear fast that I could not get enough air to run. Then I quit.

It took over an hour for my lungs to feel normal, and even then I would say that a deep breath feels like crap.

What do you think this is? I swam fine all week in open water, although not that hard pace, just normal pace I guess. I have done two 60 mile rides and two 10 mile runs in the last two weeks that were pretty good, not great, but I leave that to summer heat!

I'm making an appt wiht my dr, but wondered if anyone had experienced anything like this.

2010-06-27 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2946843

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: OWS and asthma symptoms
I know at least two BTers who have had issues with asthma on the swim in tris. I hope they will chime in on their experience and how they dealt with it. They have DNFed as well.

Most carry an inhaler with them when they swim and race.
2010-06-27 10:11 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Yeah, Dodgersmom had this same issue at Ironman Arizona and had to pull out of the race.

She is a friend on my BT Training Log. Go to her Training Log and ask her what she found out about what happened. I know she did some research and got an answer.

Good luck in getting it resolved. Scary stuff!

2010-06-27 10:59 PM

User image

Expert
as an asthmatic i would have to say my number 1 trigger is anxiety. If you have sports induced asthma being anxious or nervous at all could trigger it.
2010-06-28 8:00 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

As KSH said, I had the same thing happen to me at IMAZ and ended up DNF'ing.

Like you, I was OK for the 2 practice swims I did the days before the race, and had many OWS tri's before that.  Pretty much same symptoms you described.  Shortness of breath, heart rate out of control and a wheezing sound from my lungs.

Went to the Dr when we got home.  She figures it was a combination of several things that triggered this.  Anxiety was definately one of the issues, but alone, that probably would not have caused it to become so debiitating.  The cold water was another factor.  During the practice swims, we were able to get into the water (which was, if I remember correctly, around 63 degrees) on the swim out steps.  This allowed me to get in slowly and get used to to the water temp.  On race day, along with the anxiety of doing an Ironman, we had to jump in from the pier. So me and 2000 of my closest friends plunging into cold water.  My wetsuit may have contributed.  Even though it is the proper size, the fact that I felt constricted made things worse.  I also suffer from pretty bad motion sickness so that also may have been a factor.

I was presecribed an albuterol inhaler.  I generally take a few puffs before any OWS I do.  Not sure really if it is a mental thing or not, but I have not have any issues since then.  I also pick and choose my races based on the swim.  Cold water or rough/ocean swims are not something I will do anymore.

Try to get there early and swim a few hundred befroe the race starts, that helps me too.  It is a oretty scary thing being in the water and not being able to breathe.  Talk to your Dr.

2010-06-28 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Thanks! I'm headed to my Dr today...I found some stuff on slowtwitch about Swimming Induced Pulmonary Edema--described exactly what I felt! Hypoxia, gasping, fluid with a hacking rattleing cough and the general sense that you are sufficating.

I'm actually going to try to reproduce this next weekend, with a lifeguard, to see if its effort level, wetsuit, cold whatever.

2010-06-28 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2947917

Regular
k_hase - 2010-06-29 2:58 AM Swimming Induced Pulmonary Edema

Sounds more likely.

I'm no doctor, but what you're describing misses the target on asthma for my money. Oedema sounds much closer to the mark - but this is definitely one for the toubibs.
2022-08-12 9:00 AM
in reply to: k_hase

Hi There,
I know your post was awhile ago but wanted to know the outcome.

I had exact same issue. i have tried different things. I took me a day to recover, and today I had another episode. Not as bad.
I am trying to get use to wetsuit. Breathing was an issue. Things I have done:

1. Got a bigger wetsuit - did not help
2. Practiced and seemed okay. Water was cooler with a larger wetsuit and seem to get better but still had some issues
3. One swim the water was warmer, I feel great - the neckline didn't bother me, etc.
4. Race day on sprint - warmed up, felt good. Water cooler this time. Started up front, as was shallow water swim, not too many women in my group. Started - the few minutes giving it. The WHAM! I couldn't breath, had to walk most of the way. swam the last 25 meters, got out of the water and to transition, taking of wet suit started to hyperventilate and thought , this is gonna be hard to get HR down, same as you, as was in tempo HR most of ride and the run, well it was walk run but the heat was brutal.

5. Decided to cut legs, half arms and neck off wetsuit. Went for swim 1700 m - water was warm - awesome, felt like I defeated this.
6. This morning went for swim and water cold. was fine for the first 500 or so then started, hard to breath, arms tingling, a little dizzy - WTF. So decided to swim to shore, took of wetsuit - I always swimmed better without - not today. Same thing happened. Had to stop and go home. Then i get the wheezing chest thing - so weird.

Thank you for sharing. What worked for you to help with this? I have a Sprint next week, then an olympic and then my half Ironman in Sept.

Any help would be appreciated.

Deborah
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS and asthma symptoms Rss Feed