General Discussion Race Reports! » Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kure Beach, North Carolina
United States
Setup, Inc.
91F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 54s
Overall Rank = 165/298
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 21/26
Pre-race routine:

Watched the sun rise out of the ocean as I ate breakfast on our balcony. Unreal.
Event warmup:

I got knee deep in the water before they announced for everybody to get out of the water. This meant I hadn't swam in the ocean at all before the race and this turned out to be my biggest mistake of the race.
Swim
  • 20m 8s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

1. (8:54)
I ran out fast enough and dove into the first wave. Swam underwater for a few meters and when I came up to take a breath, I got a nice helping of salt water up my nose. It was down hill from there. I exhausted myself fighting through the waves and gagged on the salt water for the rest of the swim. Having a difficult time, I opted to stand up and walk out as soon as I could reach the bottom. Walking was slower than I hoped but at least I could breath again.

2. (11:14)
It resembled a death march going into the ocean again. The water did feel great after all that running and biking. I was just dreading sticking my head underwater. Eventually I did but only swam about 100' freestyle with the rest side stroke. It was kind of funny how little ground [water] I lost while still being able to see and breath the whole way.
What would you do differently?:

Practice beforehand is so obvious which made it more frustrating.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I had a little trouble finding my spot in the sand which is dumb because they're in order. Anyway, threw my goggles and cap on the towel and grabbed my shades and shoes. Jumped in the kiddie pool to wash the sand off and tried to put wet feet in my shoes. The soles got bunched up like last time so that wasted time... I should have brought socks. I really think it would've been faster. Unrolled my race number and grabbed some water and off I went. I still can't drink and run so I still had salt water taste in my mouth until I got on the bike.

Kicked my shoes off and threw on my helmet. Grabbed my bike and ran out. I think this was the first time I really smiled during the race. I had my bike and everything was going to be OK! Ran passed the mount line and jumped on my bike barefoot. I think I passed 5 or 6 people in the first 100 yards while everybody was trying to get clipped in. Only one passed me back as I slid my feet in.
What would you do differently?:

After setting up the transition: walk to the entrance, spin around three times and run to your spot to make sure you can find it.

Couldn't have been better.
Bike
  • 34m 5s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I was ready for the bike leg and loved every minute of it. The turn arounds were kinda sketchy at times depending on what the guy in front of you is doing. I finally got rehydrated and was just in a great mood for the rest of the race. I drafted a little but it's a 6 mile course with 500 people so it's hard not to. I actually passed a few people with crazy aero bikes but also got passed by a 1980's road bike. Fair's fair.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I forgot how short the road was after the last turn and only got one foot out of my shoe before I had to dismount. I ran with one barefoot and one bike shoe. Not a big deal but I felt silly. I had trouble with my shoes again so I just threw the soles out and ran out. It hurt my toe a little but it's < 15min so I just ignored it. I took my bottle with me because it was still cool and not from the local tap. Very glad I did this.

Just kicked my shoes off and grabbed my goggles and cap.
Run
  • 27m 42s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

1. (13:51)
Dehydrated with salt water taste in my mouth sucked. The run wasn't bad at all though.

2. (13:51)
Even though the times were the same, the second run felt alot better. I had cool water with me, I had sprinklers to run through, I was almost done, and I was making great time.
Post race
Warm down:

Just some gatorade and water while watching the bike toss.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training for specific race conditions.

Event comments:

Great race and alot of fun. I just need to schedule one more day at the beach to enjoy it more.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:08 | 820 yards | 02m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/26
Overall: 213/298
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Ocean swim with current
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average