General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tupper Lake, New York
United States
Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 02m 38s
Overall Rank = 78/453
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 19/62
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 5:45 and ate PB&J sandwich and a meal replacement drink. Sipped on a bottle of Ultragen while setting up transition.
Event warmup:

Swam out a couple of buoys at the finish so I could have a look at sighting, then went and hung out with my team mates
Swim
  • 36m 53s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lake was very calm and waves were quite spread out and not too big so made for pretty good swim conditions. My navigation wasn't that great, particularly when I started sighting off what turned out to be two orange swim caps in the final third of the race!
What would you do differently?:

Swim speed primarily limited by technique. Level of effort was good. Need to concentrate on sighting a bit more accurately
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Felt fine.

Not much
Bike
  • 2h 29m
  • 56 miles
  • 22.55 mile/hr
Comments:

Executed bike as planned. Hadn't seen course before so was a bit of a voyage of discovery. First race on new wheels, but conditions were pretty perfect as dry roads and little wind

Drink all of my planned fluids even though it was cold.
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

As this was a warm-up race for Placid I decided to put on socks and use regular laces in T2, which explains my slower than T1 time. Overall I was pretty happy with the time given the issue of putting socks on wet feet.

Not much
Run
  • 1h 53m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't sure I was going to run due to ongoing achilles injury, but it didn't feel too bad after the bike so decided to complete the course. The weather could not have been more perfect, overcast and then some showers towards the end. This course would be very different in the sun as there is very little shade.

I no doubt could have pushed harder, but this wasn't my A race and I was concerned about making injury worse four weeks away from Placid. Overall a solid run and was happy with the pace (despite being passed by a what felt like half of my age group)
Post race
Warm down:

Race provided Turkey and gravy dinner - perfect on this cool day but might have been tough to get down had it been hot. Then quickly off back to motel to drink beer while watching USA get knocked out of the World Cup!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run fitness primarily

Event comments:

I really liked this race and its organisation. The lake is not the nicest in the area, the bike course is not that technical and I wouldn't say Tupper Lake is particularly destinational. But the whole package, including the friendliness of the volunteers and racers make this a really great race to experience. Look forward to racing Tupper again.

Last updated: 2009-12-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:53 | 2112 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 39/62
Overall: 232/453
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless Desoto / Bibjohn
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:29:00 | 56 miles | 22.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/62
Overall: 25/453
Aimed for a 260 watt average power and that is exactly what I did. Felt hard on the first half as was having trouble warming my legs up. Negatively split the second half by 2.5 mins which was great
Wind:
Course: Out and back with a few rollers
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:53:11 | 13.1 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/62
Overall: 165/453
152 Avg HR. As temperature was low, managed to keep a relatively consistent pace and HR throughout the run.
Course: A bit of everything, rolling hills, flats, sand, railroad tracks, trail runs
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-28 7:33 AM

User image

Regular
New York City
Subject: Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

2010-06-28 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2947561

User image

Veteran
Sunny Binghamton
Subject: RE: Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance
great job phil you were one of the fasties that flew by me on the bike (I'm 35-39). You will rock placid, cheers!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed