General Discussion Triathlon Talk » North East Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-08-16 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3045426

User image

Catonsville
Subject: RE: North East Triathlon : Official Thread

trynguy - 2010-08-16 9:26 AM I was looking for everyone after the race yesterday, but wasn't able to locate you guys. Where were you set up?

I thought the race was awesome. It was my first tri and I thought it was extremely well organized. I had a blast and didn't puke or anything (LMAO).

I did have terrible nerves heading into my first OWS competition and had the whole tight chest/ shortness of breath thing everyone talks about. I just started swimming in April and it's not my strong suit anyhow, so that just added to the anxiety. I was slow, but I got through it and think I put up respectable transition times for a first timer T1-3:54 and T2 1:43.( Boy that's a pretty long run to T1 and I was at the far end of the transition area.) Overall I finished 11/16 in the Sprint Clydes ( but only finished 20 seconds from finishing 9/16 in the group

Anyway I thought the race was great. I'm hooked will be doing more. I'm really sorry I wasn't able to find you guys and introduce myself though.
G

Congrats on your first tri!  This was a great one to do.  The swimming gets much easier and you will get much more comfortable in the open water!

2010-08-16 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3045452

Veteran
Harrisburg, PA
I suspected that the unmarked tent was the BTers, but for some reason was too timid to go up and ask.  Go figure.  Would have like to met some of the MD folks (I'm from PA). 

Love the race.  Did the OLY.  Thought the weather would make it alot easier than last year since it was cloudy and 10+ degrees cooler.  Must have been really humid because it kinda killed me. I think I felt worse after this one than last year. 

Joe 
2010-08-16 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
JoshKaptur - 2010-08-16 9:38 AM We were in an unmarked tent right along the finish chute (by all the other tents).  Ours was distinguishable as the one without the grill!!!  Stupid unreliable MD BTer to blame for that (though he did manage to get 6 burgers at the food tent to make up for it).

We had a small crowd most of the day, with various BTers stopping by.  I saw a guy in the port-a-potti line with a BT shirt on (who I never saw the rest of the day), but I was in serious Scamp mode and didn't chat it up since I was next in line

Congrats to Joe for 1st AG and Joe's friend whose name I forget (I'm terrible with names so sorry) for a second AG (at her first tri).  Also congrats to Joe for a recent engagement which he was stealthy about on the logs since I missed the announcement, and to Jason for finishing his second tri and first oly.  I don't know how others did, but I hope you'll chime in here for a report.

I had a good race with a PR in both the tri (was technically my first official Oly race) and the 10K split.

And in case you were wondering, Joe kicked my butt in our little gentleman's bet.  Apparently I owe him a pair of cool-weather running gloves, which he usually starts wearing when the daytime high drops below 80.

haha, thanks Josh.  FYI - I've got my space heater running with my office door shut and I'm sitting on my hands between typing trying to keep them warm.  I need my gloves now!

Erin was my friend who got second.  Also, fun story for her - her car broke down on the way home, she got stuck in White Marsh and she lives in Fed Hill in Baltimore.  Instead of waiting for me to come give her a ride (I offered many times), she decided to load up her bag and ride home.  Apparently, because it was gonna take me a little while to get out there (traffic was pretty bad) she didn't want to wait, so she rode and I took a nap instead.

It was nice to meet some new peeps there today.  it'd be fun to keep doing this, maybe even with a grill next time...
2010-08-16 11:49 AM

User image

Regular
Millers, MD.
JoshKaptur - 2010-08-16 9:38 AM We were in an unmarked tent right along the finish chute (by all the other tents).  Ours was distinguishable as the one without the grill!!!  Stupid unreliable MD BTer to blame for that (though he did manage to get 6 burgers at the food tent to make up for it).

We had a small crowd most of the day, with various BTers stopping by.  I saw a guy in the port-a-potti line with a BT shirt on (who I never saw the rest of the day), but I was in serious Scamp mode and didn't chat it up since I was next in line

Josh, that's funny . Honestly I WAS looking for the unmarked tent WITH A GRILL and brats.  Too funny. I walked right by you guys then at least twice then.

I finished right behind a real tall guy with BT shirt on. He passed me on the run out and got about 3-400 yards in front of me. I tried to catch him before the finish line  but  never got closer than a 50 yards or so. I was too busy trying not to throw up at the finish to track him down and say hi.   
2010-08-16 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2947699

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
I had about 2/3 of a good swim but got completely disoriented after the second turn as we headed back to shore; just couldn't see the buoys or even many of the heads in front of me (blame the cloudy flat lighting?). I single-handedly pulled my relay team out of the medals!

Next year I will be back and I will race this solo, hopefully as my first Oly!
2010-08-16 2:18 PM

User image

New user

I too was walking around looking for the BT tent and was definitely looking for the grill   Wanted to introduce myself as a new BTer.  I thought the race went very well, had a great weekend overall.  This was my first Oly race under the 3:00:00 mark and I hope to keep all my future races in that category!

Congrats to all the finishers!  See you on the trails!

Todd

2010:
Philly Tri
North East Tri
Marine Corps 10K

2011:
Mooseman 70.3
Lake Placid 140.6

2010-08-16 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Well for the record we did have brats, hot dogs, ketsup, mustard, relish, plates, napkins, and two small propane tanks... but the grill was still by the garage door in the prominent place I had put it the night before to make sure I didn't forget it on race morning (afraid it would make the car smell if I left it overnight).

Next time I'll bring a grill and a sign!!!!
2010-08-16 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3046590

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
JoshKaptur - 2010-08-16 3:47 PM Well for the record we did have brats, hot dogs, ketsup, mustard, relish, plates, napkins, and two small propane tanks... but the grill was still by the garage door in the prominent place I had put it the night before to make sure I didn't forget it on race morning (afraid it would make the car smell if I left it overnight).

Next time I'll bring a grill and a sign!!!!

I'm surprised all the LP gear didn't give you away!!
2010-08-16 8:05 PM
in reply to: #3045426

User image

Veteran
trynguy - 2010-08-16 9:26 AM I was looking for everyone after the race yesterday, but wasn't able to locate you guys. Where were you set up?

I thought the race was awesome. It was my first tri and I thought it was extremely well organized. I had a blast and didn't puke or anything (LMAO).

I did have terrible nerves heading into my first OWS competition and had the whole tight chest/ shortness of breath thing everyone talks about. I just started swimming in April and it's not my strong suit anyhow, so that just added to the anxiety. I was slow, but I got through it and think I put up respectable transition times for a first timer T1-3:54 and T2 1:43.( Boy that's a pretty long run to T1 and I was at the far end of the transition area.) Overall I finished 11/16 in the Sprint Clydes ( but only finished 20 seconds from finishing 9/16 in the group

Anyway I thought the race was great. I'm hooked will be doing more. I'm really sorry I wasn't able to find you guys and introduce myself though.
G

Congratulations on your first tri!  You said you'er hooked now so I know the bug bit you hard man! Same bug that bit me when I did my first just last June!  Well done my friend!
2010-08-18 4:03 PM

Great Race!   I knocked a full minute off my Assateague total, almost four minutes in the swim and another three on the run.   goes to show what training can accomplish.

The bike course was fun, I dueled with a 26 year old cat who I would pass then he would return the favor.  Towards the end of the ride I must have passed him, because later during the return leg of the run he caught and passed me.  He was from Team in Training and from DC--if you are reading this good ride and good race man. 

anyway, I got the philly marathon in November, nothing else on the calendar till 2011.  Good times

peace
mf
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » North East Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5