General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key Biscayne, Florida
United States
MultiRace / Publix FFW
89F / 32C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 09m 49s
Overall Rank = 231/649
Age Group = Female 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/22
Pre-race routine:

Photobucket TRILOGY #1

The Trilogy#1 was other great Event organized for the well known people of

Photobucket

And it's part of the Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy Series...one of the most tough, competitive and challenging Sprints here in South Florida...

Event that took place at Crandon Park, Key Biscayne, FL last June 20th holding a Triathlon and Duathlon at the same time with 649 thriathletes and 78 Duathletes...

Friday June 18th:
Had my last easy swim/bike work-outs...

Washed/waxed/lubed/tuned bikes...changed wheels for Race Wheels...prepared/packed my Race stuff...and...prepared all the Race beverages...

Had a Full Carbo Load dinner: Lasagna and a salad...

Saturday June 19th:
We (My Buddy and me) went to Miami to pick-up our Race Packages at Mack Cycle...and...Buddy got the Bid# 366 / Ligh Blue Swimming Cap and for me the Bid# 367 / Yellow Cap...Cool...at least NO Pinky...!!!

2010 Trilogy#1

And some cool stuff beside the goodies...like a nice high tech t-shirt and a back pack...

2010 Trilogy#1

Went back to home and put Bid#s in our bikes, helmets and belts...and...loaded bikes and Tri-bags into the SUV....
Had an early dinner: grilled salmon, brown rice and salad...and...went to bed at 8:30 pm ZZZzzz.

Sunday June 20th:

Woke-up at 4:00 am...got dressed...took Mariah our dog outside and took our usual Pre-Race breakfast: OJ for both, a waffle with PB and coffee for Buddy and for me my usual Suepr Soy-Protein Shake (chocolate) and our usual packages of multi-vitamins and minerals, Amino 1500 and Glucosamine.

Did our bodymarking by ourself and took our coolers with our Race beverages and left from home around 4:45 am...It took us about 45 minutes to get to Key Biscayne...and...maybe other 5 minutes to the entrance of Crandon Park...BTW...the lines at the entrance moved fast cuz many of us got the new pre-paid entry-fee Pass at Mack Cycle...to avoid the long lines....

Parked car...took our bikes, and all our Race stuff and went directly to Transition Area...and...we were very lucky cuz got the best spot of our Rack area...the first one...and...went to get our timing chips...and put them on our left ankle...

2010 Trilogy#1

Set-up all my Race stuff...helmet over seat...a green towel next to my bike...and...over my biking shoes in one side...suglasses over my biking shoes...and...my running shoes over the other side of the towel and next a bottle of frozen water and my hat and inside wrapped my belt with Bid#...

2010 Trilogy#1

Took out my Tri-bag and cooler out of the Rack area....and...sat over my cooler...closed eyes and did my usual Race visualization...and

Took 2 Energy Gels, 2 Endurolytes with water and a mix of Cytomax/AminVotal (Cytrus)...and...

Took my googles, swimming cap and wax ear-plugs and headed to the Swimming Area...and...in my way to the beach...noticed that was very windy as usual here in Key Biscayne...strong winds coming from SEE...and...I knew that it would be a tough bike ride coming back to Transition with headwinds/crosswinds...Yikes...!!!
Event warmup:

Meet with Buddy and other tri-friends at the Swimming Area...put wax-ear plugs, swimming cap and googles and jumped into the water after some stretchings....BTW....the official water temp. was in 85.6oF... Yikes....too warm...I felt like I was swimming in a huge bowl of chicken noodles soup....LOL...and...We were the chickens and the seaweed the noodles...LOL

Swam maybe 100 mts and came back to shore to wait till the Race started...in time as usual at 6:58 am with the Wave #1 (Male & Female Pro-Elites and Physical Challenge)...then at 7:00 am the Duathlon is mass...and...the rest of the Waves every 5 minutes...there were in total 9 Waves...

My Buddy was in the Wave# 4 (Male 40-44, Male 55+) at 7:10 and I was in the Wave# 7 (Female 35+) at 7:25 am
Swim
  • 08m 17s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Here the Swimming Course:

2010 Trilogy Swim Course

And here our Wave...ready to take off...

2010 Trilogy#1

When they gave us green light to start...I ran and jumped into the water in the right side of the peloton...and...the first meters till the 1st Bouy was a little crowdy and we had the usual punch and kick combat...I really believed that I would lose my timing chips...I felt people smacking and grabbing my legs and feet...Yikes...but...just when I got at the 1st bouy and rounded...we spreaded out...and...I started to swim with a nice constante stroke passing a lot of women and drafting behind some of them...without any problem till the Swim Exit...and..just when my fingers touched sand...I got up and rans as fast I could till the Swimming Arch...removing googles, swimming cap and wax ear-plugs at the same time and put them inside my cap...

2010 Trilogy#1 2010 Trilogy#1
What would you do differently?:

Continue with my tranings...I had a great improvement from the last Race to this one in 2 minutes...even...I know it's not my best time here in this course...but...my swimmming and kicking are back....after a twisted ankle 5 weeks prior this Race...
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Unfortunate I didn't get T1 time cuz issues with the timing box at the mats at the Swim Exit Arch and my time was included in my Bike time....Grrrrrr!!!!...but...
I'm assuming that was a very fast one as usual...
It was a long and hard run...about 1/4 mile from the beach to Transition over soft sand...Yikes...!!! but without any difficult for me...passing a lot of people walking and runnig in their way to Transition...

Just inside Transition...ran to my rack area...first put sunglases and helmet and at the same time biking shoes...took bike...and...ran as fast as possible out of Transition....

Practice and practice
Bike
  • 35m 59s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Here the Bike Course:
2010 Trilogy Bike Course

Note: Unfortunate MultiRace had some issues with the timig box at the mats in T1 not transmiting the times to the Computer...and even...they could recover the 70% of the data form the box...I was not one of the lucky ones and either the rest of the women...also I didn't get T2 time...and...my T1 and T2 times were included in my Bike time...not reflecting my real and usual Bike average of 19 mph or more....Grrrrr....also coincidentaly my cyclocomputer decided not to work...taking a day off...LOL

Just out of Transition in the mount area...jumped over my bike and cranked very hard as usual....passing a lot of people...there were a lot of bike traffic in some sections but nothing that could affect me...but...at this point...I only knew that my girlfriends from my AG...Collete, Amy, Robin are leading...and...I need to do the best...to keep my position...

Here approching to one of the challenge of this tough Bike Course...the famous "Rickenbacjer Bridge"

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon bridge7

It was a fast ride to the Bridge having the winds with us...I was smocking...climbed it without problem...and...at the top...the most wonderful view...of the city of Miami...and....Biscayne Bay Ocean....

2010 Trilogy#1

Then the most excitng feeling...like I was flying...going downbridge at 37 to 40 mph...but...suddenly...when I was almost down...a Fire Rescuers Ambulance merged from the right side of the bridge and almost in front of me...OMG...I was very lucky not to crash against it...I reacted very fast...slowing down my speed and dodging it...and...by my surprise the ambulance stopped just in the U-turn...where an accident happened with one of the marshall motorcycle with an USAT referee...our good friend Paul Kvedara...and...a triathlete....Yikes!!! Thanks Godness...they were already in good hands of firefighers that already arrived first...

Just when I got at the U-turn...I could feel the strong headwinds...but...I kept it up...passing a lot of people climbing for second time the bridge...at this point my good girfrind Julie one of the fastest in the bike in our AG reached/passed me...and...I said to me..."time to push more harder"...

And here almsot at the top of the "Rickenbacker"...

2010 Trilogy#1

Just when I got to Transition at the desmount area...did it like usual like the Pro-Elites but keeping shoes on and jumped off the bike....and...ran very fast inside Transition...

Continue with my uusal windy bike trainings...they are paying off...
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

As I mention before...I was one of a few people that didn't get T2 time...Grrrrrr...!!!

But I'm sure that was a very fast one as usual...

Got in my rack area..placed bike on rack...changed shoes...removed helmet...took my hat and bottle of water and ran as fast as possible out of Tranasition....

Practice and Practice...
Run
  • 25m 33s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Here the Running Course
2010 Trilogy Run Course

Just out of Transition....running not to fast and not too slow with a constante pace...put my hat and belt with Bid#...drank some water and tossed some over my head and neck....and....started to increase my speed...reaching/passing first my girlfriend Julie...and...just before the U-turn at the 0.5 mile....saw coming...Collete, behind Amy...and...Robin...and...started to push more hard...passing a lot of people...

Here in between the mile 1 and 2...

2010 Trilogy#1

And...just in between the mile 1 and 2...I felt somebody behind me...I really didn't know who was...but...kept me pushing hard and hard...and...she kept behind me during the all Run...and...just 1/2 mile to the Finish Line...We started to sprint very hard...till...the last 50 mts when she passed me in the last curve to the final shot...but...We crossed the Finish Line at the same time even she was in front...my left foot with my timing chip pass over the timing mats at the same time she crossed...LOL

Continue with my trainings....
Post race
Warm down:

Just at the Finish Line...a volunteer gave to me a bottle of water and other one removed my timming chip from my ankle and I went directly to Congratulate this Girl...and...She did the same to me and she told me that was an excellent run cuz I paced her...It was very nice...!!!

Went directly to refresh at the Fun Water Kid area...and then to Transition...Buddy was already there...collected/packed all our Race Stuff...bikes...and...took them to the car...

Went to check Results...finding out that I got 5th place in AG...WoooHooo...!!!

Age Group Female 45-49: 5th / 22
We were 23 women but one was awarded 3rd Feamle Master Overall...

Female Overall: 41th / 180

Overall: 231th / 649 triathletes

Total Time: 1h 09m 49s
Not PR this time...my best time here in this Course is 1h 07m 32s...but...very happy with results...not complaint...top 5 and other Podium in my pocket...LOL

Here at the Award Ceremony:

2010 Trilogy#1

Congrats Amy...my LIN Teammate...1st place AG...!!!

And Here...the pretty Award...

2010 Trilogy#1

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The strong winds in the Bike Course...LOL

Event comments:

Excellent Event as usual...very well organized...on time...lots of volunteers...plenty of water stations...and...a good Post-Race Food and activities...

Last updated: 2010-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:17 | 400 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/22
Overall: 363/649
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:59 | 10 miles | 16.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/22
Overall: 293/649
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:33 | 03.1 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/22
Overall: 237/649
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-28 9:22 AM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 Rss Feed