Sugarland, Texas
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 58m 34s
Overall Rank = 56/800
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/45
Pre-race routine:

Not the ideal day and night before a race. We had some friends come down from Ft Worth on last minute notice that we hadn't seen in a couple of years, so I ended up staying up pretty late and note getting much sleep.

Goal here was attempt to qualify for Age Group National Championships in September. I am not near fast enough but my friend Gregg qualified in Galveston and wanted someone to try and go with him. Buddy and I said we would give it a shot but it is a long shot. More on this later
Event warmup:

Setup my transition area and went for a mile run and swam about 200m in the pool. This is the second race that I have done a run warmup and it seems to help
Swim
  • 05m 43s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

An ok swim. I still need to work on speed. I tried to keep it consistent and not have to exert the energy to pass people.

I like pool swims but the seeding process really makes it difficult. People really need to have a better feel for their times.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Need a little bit better endurance coming out of the swim to get through here faster
Bike
  • 26m 6s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.99 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pleasantly surprised by my time/speed. I averaged 22 at Tejas a couple weeks ago and didn't think I had 23 in me this year. I rode a pretty smart bike leg, backed off a little about mile 7-8, then finished strong.

I joked with myself last year that if someday I was ever able to average 23 I would get race wheels! Not going to happen

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

I turned in the rack before mine, luckly I was located on a rack that only had four bike on each side so quickly went to the right on

Pay attention
Run
  • 24m 28s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I had my best run at Tejas a couple of weeks ago and I was hoping to follow it up with a decent run here and show some consistency. I was about 20 sec slower that Tejas but considering my bike pace and lack of sleep I am satisfied with the run. I negative split each mile and ran a 7:30 for mile 3.

Would really like to avg sub 8 for a race. Need more run intervals
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some fluids to try and cool down and wait for Buddy and some other guys from the YMCA tri class to finish. Hung around waiting for the results to be posted and see how I did.

Here is the rest of the story. I finished 6 in my age group which had 45 racers, so I needed to be 5th. I was bummed but knew it was a long stretch goal. Before leaving I was double checking the results and noticed that the 4th place finisher at a swim time of 31 secs and the rest of his splits were all normal, so every timing mat was hit. My guess is that his start time is wrong or he started out of place. 4th was only 1 minute faster than me so unless he is faster than Phelps, I should be in fifth. I have sent an email to the timing company to see what they say.

So hopefully I move up a spot and will be qualified for age group nationals so Greg will go and I can get my butt handed to me :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The Heat

Last updated: 2010-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:43 | 328 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/45
Overall: 0/800
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pool Swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: