Active.com
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 33s
Overall Rank = 551/880
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 28/47
Pre-race routine:

So per the letter that went out to athletes, I went down to pick up my packet the day before. This was an hour out of my way (each way) and then I hit a PARKING LOT on the last highway. I called the RD and left a message to please keep packet pick up open 5 minutes extra as the traffic was awful. I emailed as well. I got there at 3:34 - packet pick up was stopping at 3:30. They were already FULLY BROKEN DOWN. and basically told me tough toenails - I was in tears as I had just done everything I could and was trying to do the right thing! I went outside and called the RD who answered this time and basically said I would not race and would let everyone know this is how athletes are treated - he had me get his wife and I got my packet. They were AWFUL about it, and to add insult to injury several people had denigrating comments. What is more they had heard the roads were bad and still elected to break down early!

I have worked registration at several races - we would NEVER treat an athlete like this - nor would we break down before 3:30! and certainly someone stuck in traffic who drove out of the way would get their packet. So big kudos to Bill Burnett for doing the right thing but I am really underwhelmed at the volunteer staff - don't volunteer if you are going to have such a poor attitude and treat people so horribly.

I have to say this left a really bad taste in my mouth about doing this race.
Event warmup:

Rode from parking lot to transition. Did get into cold water so as not to shock system.
Swim
  • 10m 41s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

ok the beginning I did great...got in stayed left, on the inside, and was in the mix. Somewhere after rounding first buoy I started having issues - asthma kicked in, and the mind game...I so need to get over this and translate what I do in the pool into the OWS....I did navigate better than my usual so something right....
What would you do differently?:

need to work on rounding buoys and catching feet!!!
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

I need to learn to have my shoes clipped in and get into them on bike...this is something I will work on this summer

practice transitions....
Bike
  • 38m 37s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 19.42 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my first hard bike in 3 months since tearing my MCL and satorius. It acted up a bit which made me back off. I had a hard time pushing myself to the next level but I think it is a fair assessment of where I am right now.

TRAIN!
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

I need to learn to get out of my shoes on the bike and jump off....a project for this summer

see above
Run
  • 35m 29s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 11m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

totally cramped up, walked up hills, tried to stretch it out, when I did run pace was ok and managed an 8 min mile for mile 3....clearly that was not enough to make up for a lousy performance - pushing on the bike and then out of shape in pain on run....

train
Post race
Warm down:

THEY RAN OUT OF PLAIN WATER AT FINISH!!!! and handed me some flavored awful crap. really???? no plain water at finish??? wow. so walked over to my transition area and drank the now warm water I had brought with me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

injury, lack of training

Event comments:

So the debacle with packet pick up, followed by parking in the morning - the volunteers put the car behind me literally 1 inch from my bumper. Uhm do you think he will mind if I walk on his hood to get my bike out? Really? I know they are volunteers but do they understand we are racing and have things like bicycles? They tried to have me on the bumper of the guy in front of me who had several bikes on the back of his car, so as they kept inching me up I pointed out the bike rack...then got out to find myself blocked from my stuff....then no water at finish....I think I am done with this race.

The roads are ok (not as bad as New Hampshire), cars are stupid about how they integrate with racers on the open roads - so things were fine where there were police but not elsewhere...

so overall I just feel that racers are not put first....seems attracting sponsors is....not what I want from a race.

Last updated: 2009-12-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:41 | 440 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/47
Overall: 579/880
Performance: Average
this includes the runs to the water and out of the water - at least :30 in and longer out....but regardless slow....
Suit: helix
Course: rectangle with buoys on left
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:38:37 | 12.5 miles | 19.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/47
Overall: 349/880
Performance: Below average
Duration: 37:34 (39:19) Work: 311 kJ TSS: 58.4 (intensity factor 0.972) Norm Power: 156 VI: 1.13 Pw:HR: n/a Pa:HR: n/a Distance: 11.948 mi Min Max Avg Power: 0 465 138 watts Cadence: 41 173 78 rpm Speed: 7.3 32.1 19.1 mph Pace 1:52 8:11 3:09 min/mi Crank Torque: 0 625 159 lb-in
Wind:
Course: winding through Cohasset. some rollers
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average