General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tupper Lake, New York
United States
Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 42m 42s
Overall Rank = 237/453
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 41/67
Pre-race routine:

woke up feeling great after a good night's sleep. Had a cup o' joe, did my stocksie routine, and had one shot blok, half a bannana some water and Rob and I were out tha' door.
Event warmup:

I had body marked on Friday night so all I had to do was to pick up my chip and get the bike checked out. Had tons of fun setting up transition, laughing with my fellow competitors, taking pictures for people, etc. Really good group around me. My swim start was pretty late at 8:20 so I was able to jump into the wetsuit and swim around for a good 15 minutes before they got the waves going.
Swim
  • 30m 34s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

I've got to say that I'm very pleased with my swim. Took five minutes off my time here from two years ago. Had a plan going in and stuck to it. Got some last minute advice from coach stocksie that really stuck between the ears. I feel I have lots more to learn about swimming and feel I have the potential to do more.
What would you do differently?:

Could always improve navigation and my ability to swim in a straight line. Been changing my technique lately and have changed it so much that I actually swim in the opposite direction than I used too! I guess I'm beating myself up here because i witnessed some folks who literally went completely sideways at the start and didn't look back to the kayakers chased them down. Need to work on breathing and sighting efficiency as well. Find feet and stay on them. Let the 6th guy in my age group get away from me in the last 400 or so. Won't happen again.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Could always do better here but needless to say I was stoked and whooping it up when I glanced at my watch running into t1! Tupper is strange because you bust ass getting to the road and if you happen to have a bit of bad luck the volunteers and police officers will hold you up until they let enough cars go through. I was held for maybe 20 seconds or so. Felt longer!

Pretty happy really, found my spot no problem at all (thanks to the bannana yellow equinox next to me) and got the suit off with no troubles.
Bike
  • 2h 57m 9s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.97 mile/hr
Comments:

I really shouldn't expect to do any better than what I did when you look at the amount of training I've done this year. I've got the heart of a lion on the bike and I really wanted to rip but I kept telling myself that I had a half marathon coming up and you better not leave it out on Route three! My hydration plan was probably geared towards a warmer day and I think I could've backed off by twenty oz's or so. Sixty ounces total consumed, with infinit in there.
The first three quarters of the course literally flew by. Went back and forth with a couple of guys, who eventually dropped me. Had fun watching the uber fit men and women, many of whom are gearing up for IMLP, fly by me. I wonder if there is anything to shaving the legs because I had enough hair on my legs for everybody!

Back off on the drinking a tad and train more!
Transition 2
  • 03m 53s
Comments:

Yeah I know this is a long T2! I spent a good two minutes going #1 after I racked my bike. I have never peed that long in my entire life. Felt like I was involved in some college fraternity prank where I drink ten beers and half to hold it for two hours. And I have an awesome bladder, believe me!
Sat right on my keester in order to put my socks on. Smiled and chatted with my brother, who was cheering me on beyond the transition ropes. Was definitely not in a hurry. Looked around and soaked it all in.

Drank a bit less on the bike. Sat down right away to put the socks on. This is my only race this year that I throw the socks on....don't bother with them for oly's or sprints. Really, really glad I had them on. No blisters on the run!
Run
  • 2h 09m 50s
  • 13.4 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Starting out I felt pretty good but had a plan to run very slow for the first couple of miles then speed things up gradually. Ended up running very slow the whole time! Oh well. Had a lovely left side adductor cramp around mile five. Walked for about thirty seconds or so before I could recover. Walked twenty seconds or so at every water stop. Nutrition wise was pretty happy with my plan, two gels and one to two bloks per hour. A bit of water and a bit of heed at every water stop. Threw water on the head at every opportunity.
At mile six ran into (literally) a 23 year old construction worker named Ricky from Orange County NY. He was a pound or two from being a clydesdale and we started to shoot the breeze. We ended up doing the last six together and having a good time the whole way. Great company and good inspiration for yours truly. Got to meet his dad and family after the race, very nice folks.

Felt like I was fighting the cramps for most of the race. Again I was really undertrained coming in here so I can't complain. My ITBS was bad in the month leading up to this and I had to shut everything down. Speaking of that the IT's were screaming for the last few miles but I screamed back at them so we were even.
Post race
Warm down:

Ricky and I finished strong together, hitting the mat at the same time. Sucked down some oranges, bannanas and sam adams. Hung out with the wife and kids and went to dinner later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Did I mention I was undertrained coming in? This race was stacked with uber athletes and I was happy just to be able to watch them kick butt. I will reach the point when I put in the proper time to this sport and then I feel I will reach my potential. I had no bikes over 40 coming in, only two around there. Only two runs to 12 the entire year. Most well below that. Very happy with how I performed given the training load.

Event comments:

Love the race and will be back. Plenty of vollies and aid stations. Great little town and glad I could play a small part in one of Tupper lake's biggest days.
Big thank you to my family, especially my brother rob, for supporting me this weekend. Love you guys. Never give up on your dreams!

Last updated: 2010-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:34 | 2112 yards | 01m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/67
Overall: 56/453
Performance: Good
not that techy yet
Suit: desoto t2
Course: out for about 800 or so then a right turn heading to another buoy, one more right turn and head for home
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:57:09 | 56 miles | 18.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 48/67
Overall: 258/453
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: First two miles out are completely flat. Then the fun begins. I may have to do Rev 3 Quassy and Timberman to compare courses. It's hilly. It's in the Adirondacks. We dealt with it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 03:53
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:09:50 | 13.4 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 50/67
Overall: 300/453
Performance: Below average
Course: Very fair course, it gets most of the big hills out of the way in the first six miles. Back half is relatively flat. A couple of sandy/woodsy/cross country sections thrown in there too. They are nice and your knees appreciate the break at that point!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %n/a
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-28 7:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Sunny Binghamton
Subject: Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

2010-06-28 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2949502

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance
Darn fast for "undertrained".  Oh well, yeah, you are fast. 
Too funny avout the frat prank pee ......
2010-06-28 9:38 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-06-30 7:40 AM

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

Great race, with those times you wouldn't know you were under trained. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed