General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are knee issues inevitable? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-29 1:20 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Are knee issues inevitable?
Are knee issues inevitable if you run/bike long enough? 

I've been doing tris and running for about 12 years (11 years mostly injury free) and last year I was doing a local sprint and the run was partially on a trail and I tore my meniscus in my left knee.  When the doc did the ortho thing he found that the cartiledge was frayed some and cleaned that up while he was in there.  That knee is now great!  But now I've injurred the other knee.....going in for an MRI later this week.

So for you 'older' folks who have been running for many years, do you have knee issues? 

I heard some people say that, if you run long enough, you will eventually have knee issues.  I've also heard that this is hogwash and that some folks run their entire lives and never have knee issues.  What do y'all think?

~Mike

2010-06-29 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2951017

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Subject: RE: Are knee issues inevitable?

Does 33 count for "older"??  It does at my work, anyway...

Knock on wood I've only had patella tendon issues, minor IT band, some calf issues but nothing requiring surgery or doctor care.

My vote is for it all depends on the person.  If you body structure is such that you are predispositioned to some conditions, you can try and counter it with orthotics and other methods but you can only put it off for so long.

Some people just don't have problems and run like a machine.  Like the 50 and 60 something's that I get passed by every once in a while at a 1/2 marathon or 10k.

Just take care of what you got with stretching, massage, and rest... at least that's my plan.

2010-06-29 1:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg

I'm 49, been running for 31 years, triathlons for 25 years.  Had microfracture surgery on the left knee in 2002, on the right knee 2010.   Some people have problems and others sail on for years just fine.

I supinate when I run and both knees were on lateral ends of my femurs.  Maybe biomechanics or maybe just years of pounding.  I do think that if I hadn't taken up triathlons and was a pure runner I would have had problems earlier.  The cross training kept me from having to run 5x a week.

I wish I was one of the "never have knee issues" people.  Surgery stinks!!

Good luck with your knee! 

Hey... I did IM Loo in 2007 too!! 

2010-06-29 1:32 PM

New user
Well some people smoke all their lives and never get lung cancer.  There is just no way to say for definite that doing any activity will result in an inevitability.  Every person is different and many factors can play a role.  
Whether your injuries were inevitable due to all your running is also kind of a moot point also, I mean if you could would you go back in time and not run?  If theoretically the previous years of running and cycling have led your knees to become more prone to injury then it's really a matter of finding a way to help reduce the risk of further injury while still trying to do something you love.
2010-06-29 1:44 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
I'm also 49. Started running in my mid-20s and I would estimate over the past 20+ years I have run more than 30,000-miles.  Most of those miles within the first 10-years.  I seriously cut back on my mileage at about the age of 40.  I never experienced knee problems until the past few months.  Finally broke down and visited my ortho a couple months ago.  His diagnosis is that I have arthritic knees...I'm bone to bone.  Before going with any of the options he gave me I started seeing a chiropractor.  I took a couple months off running (because of my knees and PF) but started running again a couple weeks ago.  Still some pain with my right knee going downhill but not nearly as severe as it was back in March.  I'm not going to say that I am growing cartlidge back between the bone because of the chiro.  I know that's not the case.  But I am more comfortable running then before but I don't think I have to many miles left in me.

BTW...I still get together with some of my old running buddies from 20-years ago.  Most of them have been sidelined because of their knees.  So my unscientific opinion: yes, eventually most runners will develop knee problems.  I think I am lucky that my knees were problem free for about 25-years.
2010-06-29 1:46 PM

User image

Runner
No. The only inevitable things are death and taxes.

If you train poorly, then I would say your risk goes up significantly.

2010-06-29 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2951102

User image

Expert
CenTex
They have been for me.  I've got arthritis in both knees, no mensicus in my left knee, had my left knee scoped multiple times and been told by my ortho that I should consider becoming a cyclist (and that I'm well down the path toward requiring replacement.

I've always been a heavy heel-striker and worn patellar bands or knee braces for support while running.  Just this year, I made the commitment to a fore-foot strike and have found that my knee pain has decreased tremendously.  I can run 2 hours (10-12 miles for me; I'm slow) and finish with minimal swelling/soreness.

I will always have knee issues but I will also not stop looking for ways to continue to run, as long as my body allows it.
2010-06-29 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I am 47 and started running cross country in 7th grade when I was 12 and been running ever since.  Never have had knee issues.  I hurt my back climbing and then reinjured it running though.  Started cross training and doing Tris after that.   I was never a real long distnace runner though and have only done one marathon.  I stuck primarily to races up to 10ks and Sprint Tris so far.

Oh, and 33 is not old yet...  ;-)
2010-06-29 2:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
I'm 28 and while I haven't required surgery on my knees (yet anyways), I have had problems with them since I was in highschool.  For me it's a combination of being a little too rough on my body and genetics.  My dad has had surgery on both of his knees and is looking at a double knee replacement in the not too distant future.  I had read a lot about barefoot running and while I am aware that people have differing opinions on the topic, it has made a difference for me.  I have been training in a pair of Vibram Five Fingers for about a month now and I don't have the aching in my knees and hips that I used to.
2010-06-29 3:03 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I'm 48, tri training for 7 years, and had my left knee scoped 4 weeks ago.

I have arthritis in both my knees but not bad no bone on bone.

I got Lyme's from a tick I got riding on the road which inflamed both my knees but left was worse. I did something just walking and pivoting. Ortho I saw thought Lymes made me predisposed to hurting my knee but other stuff was probably from life. I was overweight for many years so that probably didn't help my knees.

I had 5 things fixed in my scope, tear in both medial and lateral meniscus, plica was removed, some debridment of my patella, and had some synovial tissue removed.

2010-06-29 3:03 PM

User image

I have been fortunate in that I have never had knee issues.  I'm 47, so I guess I fit the "older" category.  I've been running since high school track and running is an integral part of my job (been in the military for close to 29 years)...between 12-20 miles most weeks, more when I train for marathons.   

I've had sore knees and joints, but that's about it.  When I do have issues (with sore knees or sore anything else) I back off a bit until I feel back up to par.  Granted, it takes longer to feel back up to par the older I get.  Although I don't know if it has had any impact, I have been taking Glucosamine w/MSM regularly for years.  It may not help, but it hasn't hurt.  I do expect, like with all moving parts, the old knees are bound to wear out sooner or later, but have no symptoms to date.

So, in my case, knee issues are not inevitable...at least not yet.

Or, hey, maybe that means I'm just not "older" yet! Cool 

2010-06-29 3:14 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Not endurance - but I was a baseball catcher from the time I was 5 through college.  Played 250+ softball games/season for several years and was a PGA Professional for 5 more.  I've put 'em through the ringer (my knees) as much as most.

So far - so good.  I'm 45.
2010-06-29 3:29 PM

I'm 53 and began running in high school. I've run 15 marathons and countless other races, and at my peak trained 50-70 miles per week. I've had my share of minor knee problems but luckily nothing major. (Granted, I do mostly tri's now and my weekly mileage is less than 20.) What has worked for me (at least so far) is to be very careful about the following:

--weight: If I put on a few pounds, I feel it in my knees.

--shoes: I get new running shoes every 250 miles or so. I know exactly when I need a new pair--I feel it in my knees!

--terrain: I run on grass or dirt trails every chance I get. If I have to run on the road, I alternate sides (unless high traffic area) to avoid running on the same slant.

--stretching: before and after, plus pilates.

All that said, I still get the feeling I'm running on borrowed time, so I try to savor the runs as much as I can.
2010-06-29 3:45 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Judging by the older people I see in many of the running races I do, it appears if a person is not carrying any extra weight they have no problems later in life. Almost all the older runners have slim builds. Some of them are still going very strong and are quite fast into their late 60s to mid 70s. There are some like Ed Whitlock, in his late 70s, who routinely exceed running 100 miles/week in their marathon builds.

Running form may be a factor as well. If a person is an overstriding heel striker who is carrying extra weight, then it's likely the cumulative effect of that jarring impact over a period of years will inevitably lead to knee problems and/or other problems.
2010-06-29 3:52 PM
in reply to: #2951453

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Donskiman - 2010-06-29 4:45 PM Judging by the older people I see in many of the running races I do, it appears if a person is not carrying any extra weight they have no problems later in life. Almost all the older runners have slim builds. Some of them are still going very strong and are quite fast into their late 60s to mid 70s. There are some like Ed Whitlock, in his late 70s, who routinely exceed running 100 miles/week in their marathon builds.

Running form may be a factor as well. If a person is an overstriding heel striker who is carrying extra weight, then it's likely the cumulative effect of that jarring impact over a period of years will inevitably lead to knee problems and/or other problems.

Ed Whitlock is amazing! I saw him finish the Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon crappy, humid conditions in under 1:30 and he's nearly 80!

Anyway, I sure hope knee issues aren't inevitable and wanted to point out that a good portion of knee pain results from issues elsewhere ... my example is ITB is rarely a problem with the knee itself, it's where pain manifests but the low back, glutes and hips could be the problem areas.  Now, saying that i am not saying there aren't knee problems because there are - it just seems as we get more and more into running and endurance sports in general we have to keep thinking about our bodies and health as this whole thing that combines strength and flexibility along with it - and when one of those aspects is ignored that's where the problems start. 

Edited by juniperjen 2010-06-29 3:53 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are knee issues inevitable? Rss Feed