General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNFing a running race on purpose? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-06-30 5:35 PM
in reply to: #2951538

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: RE: DNFing a running race on purpose?
I have no problem with this. You paid your money, you can do whatever you want.

Everyone is racing? Hardly. There are people walking, strollering, walking dogs, wearing bee outfits, running backwards....you name it, I've seen it.

Simply stepping off at mile 8....that's nothing, who cares?

Hindering other racers? Are you serious? She didn't say she was going to throw a spike strip at mile 8....she is simply going to step off the course....how is she possibly hindering, distracting, or even slightly annoying anyone?

TONS of people are out there for NUMEROUS reasons beyond that of racing anyone...this is no different.

2010-06-30 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2954384

User image

RedCorvette - 2010-06-30 1:26 PM

sand101 - 2010-06-30 1:51 PM
RedCorvette - 2010-06-30 8:19 AM

As far as doing a deliberate DNF, I don't like that for a couple of reasons.  First, I view it as a matter of respect to the other competitors who are racing - you're out their taking up space and potentially affecting or hindering others.  What if you unintentionally trip or stumble and take out another runner? Maybe not likely, but possible.  If you decided to do it, I hope you stay to the side or back of the pack out and of the way.  I also agree with the previous posts about getting caught up in the event and not doing the workout that you intended. 

Eh - she paid her money so she has every right to take up space.  If she wants to do half of it, that is her prerogative.  I don't see doing that as a big deal.

In your shoes I probably wouldn't go to the race, though.  As a person who firmly resides in the "f*** it" style of training and racing, if I'm there I'm putting up a time.   The temptation to race would be too much for me.

Everyone else is racing; the OP's not.  They don't let other cars out on track to practice in the middle of the Indy 500.

If someone drops out for injury, illness, etc, that's one thing.  Happens all the time. 

All I'm saying is that if you know you're going to quit at some point, then make sure you stay out of the way of those who are actually racing.      

Just paying the entry fee doesn't give you the "right" to do anything you want.  The other competitors paid their fees with the assumption that everyone out there is actually doing the race, not just using it as a practice session.

Mark

LOL...you can't be serious. 
2010-06-30 8:24 PM
in reply to: #2954636

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

tri808 - 2010-06-30 9:05 PM

As far as doing a deliberate DNF, I don't like that for a couple of reasons.  First, I view it as a matter of respect to the other competitors who are racing - you're out their taking up space and potentially affecting or hindering others.  What if you unintentionally trip or stumble and take out another runner? Maybe not likely, but possible.  If you decided to do it, I hope you stay to the side or back of the pack out and of the way.  I also agree with the previous posts about getting caught up in the event and not doing the workout that you intended. 

Eh - she paid her money so she has every right to take up space.  If she wants to do half of it, that is her prerogative.  I don't see doing that as a big deal.

In your shoes I probably wouldn't go to the race, though.  As a person who firmly resides in the "f*** it" style of training and racing, if I'm there I'm putting up a time.   The temptation to race would be too much for me.

Everyone else is racing; the OP's not.  They don't let other cars out on track to practice in the middle of the Indy 500.

If someone drops out for injury, illness, etc, that's one thing.  Happens all the time. 

All I'm saying is that if you know you're going to quit at some point, then make sure you stay out of the way of those who are actually racing.      

Just paying the entry fee doesn't give you the "right" to do anything you want.  The other competitors paid their fees with the assumption that everyone out there is actually doing the race, not just using it as a practice session.

Mark

Yes I am.  If I wasn't I wouldn't spend the time answering or would have used the sarcasm font.  Obviously you don't agree.   It happens, that's what makes discussions interesting.

Mark 

2010-06-30 11:09 PM
in reply to: #2954384

User image

Master
RedCorvette - 2010-06-30 5:26 PM

Mark

The OP puts up ~9 minute miles.  That is solidly MOP in a typical event.   Zero chance she will be in anyone's way. 

To put it in Indycar terms, if she were half assing it at the Indy 500 she would still be faster than Danica Patrick. 
2010-06-30 11:18 PM
in reply to: #2951538

User image

Master

Wow. When did BT turn into Slowtwitch? 

2010-07-01 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2954263

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
BikerGrrrl - 2010-06-30 5:34 PM

Thank you, Chris.

Edit:  Thank you too, jsnowash

Please let this be the end.

Some things just won't die.

I saw run your 8 miles somewhere else. Volunteer at the race and wear that shirt proudly.

2010-07-01 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2955612

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Holy crap!  This was really annoying yesterday.  Now I am just laughing.

2010-07-01 6:11 PM
in reply to: #2954678

User image

RedCorvette - 2010-06-30 4:24 PM

tri808 - 2010-06-30 9:05 PM

Mark

Yes I am.  If I wasn't I wouldn't spend the time answering or would have used the sarcasm font.  Obviously you don't agree.   It happens, that's what makes discussions interesting.

Mark 

Fair enough...I just thought comparing Indy cars going 230 mph to runners going roughly 5-7 mph was quite comical.

Carry on.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNFing a running race on purpose? Rss Feed  

of 3