General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Practiced my first open water swim and I'm really disappointed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-04-13 5:48 PM

New user

South Carolina
Subject: Practiced my first open water swim and I'm really disappointed
I was in a lake in my wetsuit for the first time and was fine until about 100yds out then I freaked. I don't know why! I felt like my suit was squeezing my chest and and I couldn't breath. Thankfully we had some kayaks around to help. I completed the 500 yds but never put my face back in the water. I swam with my face out the whole time. Now I have a huge blister on the back of my neck where my wetsuit rubbed it raw. Help! My real open water swim is 4/24 in the ocean and I don't know how to overcome this sudden anxiety attack that I had in the lake. I'm really depressed about the way I reacted. I can't figure out why I did it. I'm not an anxious person and was feeling fine about the whole thing until it happened. Any advice?

2004-04-13 6:25 PM
in reply to: #18255

Veteran
Currently: San Diego CA
Subject: RE: Practiced my first open water swim and I'm really disappointed
Where do you live? Can you snorkle? Snorkling is a great way to relax in the ocean.

Just a thought.
2004-04-13 6:25 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
What was it that freaked you out? Just a general anxiety?

Did you swim with a buddy? If not, I'd recommend finding one or a couple.

Have you swum in lakes/ocean before? It sounds like no, but one never knows. I'd suggest swimming a few times first not for practice, but to get used to openwater. Look around under the water, see what there is to see, what the environment is like.

About the blister/rub spot, not much to suggest there, except getting some water proof-med tape ( the thin stuff ) to put over the raw spot so it doesn't rub/aggravate the next time you wear the suit.

Bottom line, it takes some time to get used to open water, but you've still got time. Just keep motivated, and take your time at first to get used to the new environment and you'll be fine on race day! You've still got time to get used to it before you race, so don't worry!

-Chris
2004-04-13 6:26 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
I went thru the EXACT same thing.... You can read more about it here http://triby35.typepad.com/triby35/2004/04/410_i_hate_swim.html

but as far as face hitting the water and completely freakin out/panicking, it's happened both times I've done open water swims. What I found helps is warming up if you can...i.e. getting your body aclimated to the water before it's the event so you can work thru that panicked feeling. Since it's happened twice already I'm expecting I'll always initially have it, esp with cold water and just have to work thru it.

Also I just kept talking to myself. Literally talking myself down and reminding myself to relax.

I make fun of myself and make light of it a bit on the blog, but I seriously was completely freaked out when it happened. I did think I was going to drown. I did almost call the boat over. I wanted to rip my wet suit off as fast as I could cuz I thought I was suffocating. It's a very freaky feeling. I think it's normal.

Hang in there, try it again where you can take your time and expect it to happen and then strategize how you will work thru it.

Good luck

n

2004-04-13 7:04 PM

New user
Four years ago I swam the 1/2 mile lake leg of a tri relay team. I am quite a strong swimmer in the Y pool and thought it would be a piece of cake! Yeah! I hyperventilated the entire way, kept my head up, and prayed that it would soon end. The next year I made a point of going with a group to the lake several weeks before the event, swimming with them and "talking myself down". They were a help too, talking to me if they noticed I was struggling. That year was a bit better. Last year I was so comfortable in the water
that I didn't look up enough and ended up way off course! But to me it was small potatoes, I was so happy I had conquered that fear. I haven't done an ocean swim, but I would imagine that practicing that too would be helpful. Go with friends who can steer you through it. And do it again and again. Let us know, you are NOT alone! Barbara
2004-04-13 8:13 PM

New user

Denver, CO
Subject: some inspiration
maybe this will provide a little inspiration on how to train in the open water
http://www.ualberta.ca/~tri/23569-O.mpeg

2004-04-13 10:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Practice practice practice. Get in the open water as much as possible. What I like to do before I really start swimming is just get wet. go out about waist deep and sit down and put your head under the water. do some stretching in the water, and get used to the movement of the water. The first time is the hardest, and you made it. It just gets easier.
2004-04-13 10:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Practice practice practice. Get in the open water as much as possible. What I like to do before I really start swimming is just get wet. go out about waist deep and sit down and put your head under the water. do some stretching in the water, and get used to the movement of the water. The first time is the hardest, and you made it. It just gets easier.
2004-04-13 11:40 PM

User image

Central Louisiana

Hopefully everyone will take note that there is a big differnce in swimming in the pool and open water.  For some reason, a lot of people have the same problem.

Get out and do some open water training before your first tri!

2004-04-14 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
You have to get back on the horse and ride again. And again and again and again. No need to go 500 yards. Go 50 and turn back, or 100. As with all else we do in this sport, start out slow and build up. As for the chafing, the best product I know is called Body Glide. It's about $5-$10 and its available at TriSports.com, an online provider that this site supports. You apply it like stick deodorant to the back and front of your neck, your armpits, the backs of your knees ... any place rubbing might occur. It works great and won't damage your wet suit. Good Luck!
2004-04-14 1:21 PM
in reply to: #18263

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
>>I went thru the EXACT same thing....

Ditto for me. My first open water ocean swim was this 1k race at Torquay, Victoria, Australia - cold water, shark warnings, the whole shebang. Also a lot of Olympic caliber swimmers in the crowd. In the first 250 I completely wigged out and very nearly waved for the boats to come get me. The only thing that saved me was the thought that I really wanted to wear the cool t-shirt, and if I chickened out I'd be too embarrassed to wear the shirt. It was not easy, but I'm wearing my shirt. :-)

Practice worked for me too, and I find events in lakes much easier.

2004-04-14 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Theresa--

One of my dear friends and training partners has very similar anxiety--sort of generalized. She DNF'd on her first Oly (rough waters due to high wind); but she had done ok on her 2 previous sprints. Her times were not good, but she finished--which was significant.

Three things have been very helpful to her:

1) She's spiritual woman, so she sings church songs while swimming--it really calms her down as she focuses on the words that she's singing and what they mean to her, as well as the rhythm that they provide for her. If you aren't a spiritual person, perhaps the words would have less importance, but singing could work for you too!! It distracts and provides pace.

2) I regularly practice open water swims with her. Sometimes she has a hard time with it, sometimes not--but the regularity of it has begun to demystify it for her. Don't be distressed at your first experience!! Just keep plugging away. It WILL get better!!

3) She and I are always in the same wave start (same age and gender) so after the first sprint, when we realized what a stressful experience it was for her--and she made full use of resting with the volunteers on the course!! be sure to do that if you need to!!--on the second sprint tri, I swam with her. It pulled my time back about 10 minutes--but it was significant for her, and heck!! it wasn't like I was gonna finish first anyway!! Do you have a buddy who could do the swim leg with you??

Also, the initial panic feeling you had is actually not that abnormal. On every tri I've done, I have a hard time breathing for the first 100-200 m. Part adrenaline, part shock of being in cold water, part anxiety--it just takes a few minutes for my lungs to remember what to do--what they've known how to do for a while. As your breathing calms, maybe you can begin to take small forays back into head under the water territory. Say, go for swimming with head under for 10 strokes--then rest or swim with your head above for a bit.

All the best to you, Theresa!! I know that you can overcome this. And when you do, it will be such a profound experience--it is at these moments that we become great!

Dana

2004-04-14 2:58 PM

New user

South Carolina
Thanks to all of you who offered such great advice. I do plan on practicing at least one more time before my first open water tri on 4/24. I will keep in mind many of the suggestions that were offered here. I love this sport and want to continue in it. Everyone I have met has been great. Thanks again for everything. :-)
2004-04-14 3:14 PM
in reply to: #18420

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
"Also, the initial panic feeling you had is actually not that abnormal. On every tri I've done, I have a hard time breathing for the first 100-200 m. Part adrenaline, part shock of being in cold water, part anxiety--it just takes a few minutes for my lungs to remember what to do--what they've known how to do for a while. As your breathing calms, maybe you can begin to take small forays back into head under the water territory. Say, go for swimming with head under for 10 strokes--then rest or swim with your head above for a bit."

Exactly right, Dana. I too experienced this and it lasted the whole 1500 meters. My one regret for my first tri was that I didn't do any open water swims before-hand, but the swim was in March, so there wasn't a lot of warm water around to train in.... The shock of cold water, disorentation, splashing, kicking, lack of visibility and boiling energy right at the beginning is hard. Swim in the open water as much as you can!
2004-04-14 3:58 PM

New York
hay adam - that video is very funny...

Hey Teresa - keep at it. it will get better!
2004-04-14 5:28 PM

I can relate to everything people are saying on this topic. I'm looking forward to competing this year, but I have to admit, that open water swimming makes me nervous. I hate to admit it, but I've always had a phobia of snakes, sharks, other dangerous animals, and I really don't want to run into any of those on a tri. The only consolation for me, is that in the lakes around here, the silt makes the water so dark, you can't see past 2 inches from your nose. I'm definitely going to start open water practicing, as soon as the lake around my home is over 65 degrees. I hope that wearing a wetsuit will help me relax. I'm worried about this "panic attack" and wanting to rip the wetsuit off. After reading a couple of posts, I probably will try the singing in my head.

2004-04-15 2:12 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Would another helpful option be to mix in some backstroke?

It would be a good changeup on the muscles, it would allow for more breathing while you were regrouping after any shaky moments, and if you have momentary issues with putting your face back in the water, then this couldbe the solution.

Depending on the water conditions and crowd, this may not be practical, but thought I would mention it.

2004-04-15 9:33 AM
in reply to: #18511

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
In my very first tri I breaststroked at least half the way, because it let me keep my head out of the water and stop worrying about getting kicked in the head. I was veeeeeeeery slow, but it worked.
2004-04-15 9:38 PM

I relate to most all of these posts. Although I grew up swimming in a river, and am not afraid of any critters underwater, I have experienced the panic attack syndrome when first starting a swim. I too do a lot of breas stroke and do not try to rush to the finish. I do a lot of self talk, but have not thought of the singing part -- I will try that next time.

Maybe practicing in shallow water where you can stand up any time you feel fear taking over could help. I will possibly be doing my first wetsuit swim in a lake next week. I will try to avoid the anxiety I am beginning to feel about needing to rip off the suit!!

Keep practicing -- I know you will do OK in the swim, and begin to gain confidence.

Nancy

2004-04-15 9:59 PM

, Alabama

I also get apprehensive in the open water sometimes.  I very rarely use a wetsuit.  I've only used a real tri-wetsuit once.  The neck felt tight (I asked someone who told me it's supposed to be like that) in front.  I'm very claustrophobic anyway, so putting on anything body length and tight makes me feel restricted.  Coupling that with swimming was a tough experience, especially since the water was colder than I've ever been in (63 deg.).  I had to practice 3 days in a row before the race until I could tolerate it, and still had to talk to myself during the race to keep everything in perspective.  (A mind can do a lot of wandering when swimming!)

Best of luck to you. 

Sharon

2007-06-25 3:25 PM
in reply to: #18552

User image

Regular
:0 Amen to the breaststroking - now that I'm over my first sprint last year (I dnf'd due to the panic attack in the water!) I have been at our lake a lot doing 25's back and forth. I am now convinced that we should be prepared to swim  alternate strokes during OW swimming. For me, I start at a fast freestyle, then for sighting I switch to breast a few times, and if I get nervous, etc, i roll over on my back and backstroke for a little. I am new at this too, (and JUST leaned breaststroke this past year, believe it or not...I'm 35!) but thankfully getting a little better each time I'm out there

Edited by dawnieruns 2007-06-25 3:27 PM

2007-06-25 3:38 PM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
I have to add to this since my first OWS was at my first tri just yesterday. I felt like I could not swim at all when I started even though I feel completely relaxed swimming 1500m at 1:40/100. Lesson learned! Anyone reading this that has not done an OWS should do at least one before their race.
2007-06-25 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Yes! I've only done one open water swim and it did not go all that well. And now I'm in "Land of Few Lakes" (Illinois) instead of Land of 10,000 Lakes, so it is not as simple as just biking a mile to the nearest lake to practice. Ugh. I wish I would have taken more advantage of the neighborhood lakes while I had the chance.
2007-06-25 4:48 PM

Expert
Wow, I feel better reading this thread. In preparation for the local Tri yesterday, a bunch of us swam at the site of the race w/a coach a few weeks ago - and I freaked. Coach is a sweetie, talked me through it but I was really disappointed in myself. I scratched for the race though he said I should just do it, I'd be fine. But I know I need to work on that Open Water hurdle, too.

For me, the issue was opaque water. What I keep saying to myself is: there's nothing to see anyway! There really isn't. Maybe some algae, a few bass. I'll get there! It just takes practice.
2007-06-25 5:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I don't know if I feel better with clear or murky water. Murky water makes me feel a claustrophobic, but clear water makes me nervous of what I might see.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Practiced my first open water swim and I'm really disappointed Rss Feed  

of 2