General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
Koz Enterprises
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 47s
Overall Rank = 71/232
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/14
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at the race hotel within walking distance, made it nice. Up at 2 am, 3 am, and finally up for good at 4 am. I need to sleep better the night of a race. Had a half a CLIF bar and went to transition at 5:00 am to set up. Then back to the hotel to collect the family and head over for my wave start.
Event warmup:

Walking back and forth from the hotel, some stretching.
Swim
  • 09m 55s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Navigation was horrendous, I probably swam 1k yards. I was all over the place. The rest wasn't too bad, rounding the buoys was pretty good actually. Got tangled in a piece of floating seaweed towards the end, freaked me for a few seconds, kept moving. At the 15 seconds countdown to the horn some dude yelled "somebody's gettin' pregnant!" Busted me up, even more so looking back now, one of the highlights of the race. Googled it today and found the Tracy Morgan interview from which it originates, classic.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS, frustrated with my navigation.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Went pretty well, don't practice this much at all, so good considering. Kid next to me asked if his buddy had already left, no clue young man, just trying to get my helmet on.

Not much.
Bike
  • 38m 34s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt great on the whole ride. Being in the last wave I had everyone to pass and was passing a bunch of folks. Helped to have so many people to chase. Played cat and mouse with a couple of fit 40-44 international distance ladies the whole way, they were movin'. PB max speed of 51.7 mph, sweet.

Nothing, good ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Good transition to the run

Not much
Run
  • 33m 5s
  • 3.73 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Pathetic! Been working on my running, lots of room for improvement. Passed by a bunch of people, did not see anyone from my AG though. Was planning to try to keep up with anyone in my AG.

Considering showing pace on the Garmin in my next race, left it on overall time. Feel like I could have pushed it a bit more.
Post race
Warm down:

Stayed in the seat for chip removal for a bit, put on a sprint in the finishing chute and was feeling that. Some stretching, had three of the Jamba Juice sample Yumberry drinks, awesome. The chocolate muffins were DRY, almost choked.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Had some GI distress morning of the race, felt ok by go time but probably didn't help. Rest of the family had upset tummies too, not sure where that was from. Need to get better on the run. My motivation is increasing to improve this discipline, going to keep at it.

Event comments:

Best organized race that I do, good expo and lots of volunteers.

Last updated: 2010-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:55 | 547 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 0/232
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU
Course: Rectangle, to the yellow buoys and in
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:34 | 12.43 miles | 19.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/14
Performance: Good
Avg HR- 176 Max HR- 186
Wind: Little
Course: Up to the lighthouse and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:05 | 03.73 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/14
Performance: Bad
Avg HR- 174 Max HR- 198
Course: Along the Embarcadero to Seaport Village
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-29 7:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Subject: San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course

2010-06-29 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2951871

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course
Great job!!  I know you don't think it was great, but you did great and you know what you have to work on!!!
2010-06-29 8:15 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Way to go!!!  51.7 mph on a bike???? Are you serious???  I don't think I could ever do that.  I'd be breaking!  Ever since I had kids, I can't do speed-freaky things. 

Excellent race!  You made the team proud!
2010-06-30 7:50 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
CJ, great race, congratulations! Every time I feel that I have a strong bike, my run seems to suffer. I'm working on that now by incorporating more bricks and working with nutrition. Even in sprints now I try to take a gel at the end of the bike to hopefully give me the extra boost on the run. It is a balancing act and I think trial and error is the only way to figure out what works best. I'd be curious to know how much time separated you from the top 5 in your AG? With some quick practice sessions, I bet you could shave 1:00+ total from your transitions. Could be the difference between 6th and 3rd! San Diego looks like a beautiful race, I'd love to do it one day. Congrats again CJ, great job!
2010-06-30 1:32 PM

User image

Elite
Great race! That's one heck of a top speed coming down Canon - I hit 40 and I was psyched. It's not even that steep there for very long so you mush have been HAMMERING! I'll be volunteering up at Solana Beach so hopefully I'll see you around.
2010-06-30 3:14 PM

Veteran
great job!! you were smoking on the bike!

have you done a lake tri?  how does that compare to an ocean one?  there's an ocean one later this year that I could do, but I am still a newbie and have my concerns about one in the ocean

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed