General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do I always crave SALT?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-30 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Subject: Why do I always crave SALT?!
Lately, all I want is salty goodness when I go to make a meal.  On a typical day, I'll have cereal with berries in the AM, lots of water all day, a mid-morning snack like a banana or some cheese, lunch is often a turkey sandwich or a salad with protein.  In the afternoon, again, it's another snack of fruit/veggies or trail mix (whatever is on hand) and dinner is usually a protein with veggies and rice, quinoa or some other carb. 

I can usually curb my sweet cravings, but for some reason lately I want saltier foods with meals.  What gives?  Any thoughts are much appreciated!!

2010-07-01 3:19 AM
in reply to: #2952937

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jakarta Selatan, Unknown
Subject: RE: Why do I always crave SALT?!
kziemer - 2010-06-30 5:07 PM Lately, all I want is salty goodness when I go to make a meal.  On a typical day, I'll have cereal with berries in the AM, lots of water all day, a mid-morning snack like a banana or some cheese, lunch is often a turkey sandwich or a salad with protein.  In the afternoon, again, it's another snack of fruit/veggies or trail mix (whatever is on hand) and dinner is usually a protein with veggies and rice, quinoa or some other carb. 

I can usually curb my sweet cravings, but for some reason lately I want saltier foods with meals.  What gives?  Any thoughts are much appreciated!!

Wanting some salty food is common things happens in a diet. It has nothing or less to do with the calorie amount you eat, is is about soothing your taste buds. While vitamins and minerals are fulfilling your nutritional requirement, sweetness and saltness are merely to satisfy the appetite.

You can choose some alternatives to a less sodium salt. A lot of people had been using something called Mrs. Dash which spikes up the food yet adding so little substance to a healthy diet.
2010-07-01 8:22 AM

Always happens to me when i run a lot in the summer heat.  I don't eat many processed foods (which are pretty full of sodium), so I just put sea salt on whatever I want when I get this way.
2010-07-01 10:27 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Salt isn't always a bad thing so you may not need to find alternatives.  I have been tested for sodium many times which always runs low plus I have low-normal blood pressure, low cholesterol and no family history along with having very salty sweat so my doc has given me the go ahead to eat the salt I crave.  My current favorite vehicle for delivery is fresh mango with Red Hawaiian Alae salt.  Also, sea salts tend to have less sodium and more flavor than your typical iodized table salt. 
2010-07-08 11:55 AM

User image

Expert
MMM , my family is terrible with salt and im border hypertensive but i love this creole mix by tony Checheres way off on the spelling. Its a green container, its absolutely the best spice blend ever.
2010-07-14 7:21 PM

I asked my brother in law about why they had lays classic potato chips for the athletes after our July 4th 10K.  It was effing hot! Quick side note, he as an MD in sports medicine, rehab and other various degrees.  Long story short, he is qualified to comment...   He explained it something like  this- sodium is metastisized? in water (sweat).  This causes it to be able to permeate... ah... salt in your body gets diluted into your sweat, and as the sweat leaves your body, the salt (sodium) does too...  So eating some salt is not a bad thing at all.  This COULD BE one reason you crave salt... your body may need some.  So, eat some salt, but don't go crazy.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do I always crave SALT?! Rss Feed